OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 04:19:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Liturgy of St. James  (Read 1007 times) Average Rating: 0
SetFree
King of Kings

Faith: Oriental Orthodox (Catechumen)
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

Christ, Our God, To Earth Descendeth...

« on: May 17, 2005, 01:13:20 PM »

I know that some Oriental Orthodox jurisdictions (including the British Orthodox Church),  Use the Liturgy of St. James.  Does this Liturgy still have the Hymn "Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence?" And can anyone provide the text for it???  The only version I've heard is the modified Picardy version sung by Fernando Ortega on his album storm.

Also, Is it still about four hours long, and is it ever prayed in English???
Thanks,
Adrian Davila

At His Feet The Six-Winged Seraph, Cherubim, With Sleepless Eye, Veil Their Faces To His Presence As With Ceasless Voice They Cry:ÂÂ  Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!ÂÂ  Lord Most High! --From the Liturgy of St. James (Translated by Gerard Moultrie)
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 08:04:24 PM »

Adrian Davila,

The Eastern Orthodox "version" of this liturgy certainly still has this hymn.  I'm not sure about the Oriental Orthodox version.  I think the Byzantine rendering of this litrugy is paired down a great deal compared to the Oriental usage, if I'm not mistaken, so I can't tell you where to find the Oriental text of the liturgy.

Bob

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Stephen Barrow

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 08:56:42 PM »

Christ Is Risen!

Let all mortal flesh keep silent and in fear and trembling stand, pondering nothing earthly-minded. For the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords comes to be slain, to give himself as food to the faithful.

Before him go the ranks of angels: all the principalities and powers, the many-eyed cherubim and the six-winged seraphim, covering their faces, singing the hymn: Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!

This hymn also replaces the Cherubic Hymn at the Liturgy of St. Basil on Holy Saturday.
Tags: liturgy St. James Liturgy 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: