OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 03:18:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox New Testament, what does its language resemble?  (Read 3349 times) Average Rating: 0
Slotte
I don't post anymore. Atheist, not one word about any lifeview whatsoever.

Will still be living in Southern Finland.

« on: May 17, 2005, 09:51:29 AM »

You who have the Orthodox New Testament, (by Holy Apostles Convent and Dormition Skete), could you say which other Bible Translation its language is close to?
->Is it close to the language of the:
  • 1582-1609 Douay-Rheims?
  • 1752 Challoner?
  • 1769 Blaney revision of the AV/KJV?
  • 1833 Webster?
  • 1941 Confraternity version?

edit: added information
« Last Edit: May 18, 2005, 05:44:11 AM by Slotte » Logged
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 10:04:09 AM »

In my experience most English speaking Orthodox here tend to use the KJV in one form or another, all the while realising it's not that good. Personally, I prefer my entirely Orthodox Romanian Bible, even if it does take me twice as long to read it. Until there's actually a real Orthodox translation of the Bible into English, this will probably continue to be the case. I do know, though, that some people seem to prefer the Douay-Rheims to the KJV.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
sin_vladimirov
ANAXIOS!
Elder

ICXC NIKA

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 10:05:00 AM »

Many years.

If you are referring to ONT by Holy Apostles Convent and Dormition Skete?! then the language used is very close to AV. But, thats my impression, I could be wrong.

in ICXC
stefan+

Lord have mercy.
sin_vladimirov
ANAXIOS!
Elder

ICXC NIKA

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 09:57:06 PM »

Here is, just as an example, couple of verses from the Holy Gospel according to Matthew VII 1-3.

Cease judging, that ye be not judged; for with the judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged; and with what measure ye measure, it shall be measured in turn to you. And why lookest thou on the splinter that is in thy brother's eye; but perceivest not the beam in thy own eye.

I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2005, 09:59:38 PM by sin_vladimirov » Logged

Lord have mercy.
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 10:45:34 PM »

Here is a link to a recently updated huge thread on the Orthodox New Testament along with a few words from its creators even.

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Slotte

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 04:16:33 PM »

I think I'm going for Challoner
Ghazar
Armenian Orthodox Christian

"Ghazaros, toors yegoor:" "Lazarus, come forth."

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2005, 01:02:43 PM »

Slotte,

I have many of the above mentioned translations. If you go with the Challoner revision of the Douay-Rheims, you will get basically a 18th century Latin Catholic revision of the King James Bible. The entire translation is made to reflect Latin Church theological/biblical understandings.

There is, what I consider, a modern day equivallent to this, which is the translation you first inquired about, i.e. The Orthodox New Testament. This is the first complete translation of the New Testament by Orthodox Christians that I know of in the English language. They used the old English of the King James Version as their base text but completely revised it in accord with Orthodox theological and biblical understanding. There are words and concepts in there that are entirely lost in all other Western, English translations. Therefore, based on this, I highly recommend it. Its the best I've seen yet (even though I'm not a big fan of old English).

I hope this info. helps.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2005, 01:04:25 PM by Ghazaros » Logged

Trusting in Christ's Inextinguishable Light,
Rev. Sub-Deacon Ghazaros Der-Ghazarian,
Holy Apostolic Orthodox Church of Armenia, Eastern Diocese USA
The Armenian Orthodox Evangelization Mission: www.looys.net
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2005, 06:45:04 PM »

even though I'm not a big fan of old English).

I would greatly like to see an Old English Bible released for general consumption -- it's a beautiful language.

Eadig by+¦ se wer ++e ne g+ª+¦ on ge++eaht unrihtwisra, ne on ++am wege ne stent synfulra, ne on heora wolb+ªrendum setle ne sitt...
Slotte

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2005, 06:24:35 AM »

If you go with the Challoner revision of the Douay-Rheims, you will get basically a 18th century Latin Catholic revision of the King James Bible. The entire translation is made to reflect Latin Church theological/biblical understandings.
That sounds good. I just placed an order on both Challoner and Orthodox New Testament. (The idea is to compare with for example the 1970 New American Bible New Testament, which I already have, when I stumble across archaic words in the Orthodox New Testament.)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2005, 11:46:03 AM by Slotte » Logged
Ghazar

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2005, 10:59:18 AM »

I would greatly like to see an Old English Bible released for general consumption -- it's a beautiful language.

Eadig by+¦ se wer ++e ne g+ª+¦ on ge++eaht unrihtwisra, ne on ++am wege ne stent synfulra, ne on heora wolb+ªrendum setle ne sitt...

Yes, it is a beautiful language and so is ancient Greek.  But neither one is my language.  I'd like to have an Orthodox Bible in my own tongue.  Come to think of it, I might just make my own.

yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2005, 11:21:53 AM »

I'd like to have an Orthodox Bible in my own tongue.

Are you referring to Armenian or English?
Ghazar

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2005, 02:17:31 PM »

Actually I'm an American of Armenian descent.  Although I can read and speak a little Armenian, my native tongue is English.  Why do you ask?

yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2005, 04:06:46 PM »

Actually I'm an American of Armenian descent.  Although I can read and speak a little Armenian, my native tongue is English.  Why do you ask?

You had mentioned that you wished to have an Orthodox Bible in your own tongue; I was curious as to which one that was.
Ghazar

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2005, 03:46:35 PM »

You had mentioned that you wished to have an Orthodox Bible in your own tongue; I was curious as to which one that was.

Oh, that would be modern American English.

yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2005, 04:10:26 PM »

Oh, that would be modern American English.

Alas, the closest you're probably going to come is the complete Orthodox Study Bible, when it's ever released. The Orthodox New Testament is actually in quite modern English; it is only very slightly archaic, mainly in the area of pronouns and verbs. In syntax, diction, and general feel, it's a lot closer to modern than to Elizabethan English.

This is a good example of true early modern English -- as compared with present-day English probably the most noticeable characteristic is its exceedingly complex syntax reminiscent of dense German writing, as well as the persistence of several highly Germanic constructions that are left over from Middle English, but have since disappeared.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2005, 04:15:46 PM by Beayf » Logged
Ghazar

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2005, 05:37:33 PM »

Alas, the closest you're probably going to come is the complete Orthodox Study Bible, when it's ever released. The Orthodox New Testament is actually in quite modern English; it is only very slightly archaic, mainly in the area of pronouns and verbs. In syntax, diction, and general feel, it's a lot closer to modern than to Elizabethan English.

reply: I agree. Its not that bad once you get used to it. I'd take it over the OSB any day (i.e. NKJV). I wonder if the translators are considering doing an "Orthodox Old Testament" to go along with their New?

This is a good example of true early modern English -- as compared with present-day English probably the most noticeable characteristic is its exceedingly complex syntax reminiscent of dense German writing, as well as the persistence of several highly Germanic constructions that are left over from Middle English, but have since disappeared.

reply: I'm sorry, you lost me. Are you referring to modern English or something else? Please elaborate.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2005, 05:39:12 PM by Ghazaros » Logged

yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2005, 10:02:08 PM »

I'm sorry, you lost me. Are you referring to modern English or something else? Please elaborate.

A lot of people berate more traditional translations for their supposed archaicism and difficulty of understanding; I wasn't sure if you were one of them. If you were, I was pointing out that these so-called "archaic" translations, though they may use outdated pronouns and verb forms, are much closer to modern English than early modern English, and aren't really archaic at all. IOW, n/m. Smiley
Slotte

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2005, 11:55:29 AM »

The Orthodox New Testament is actually in quite modern English; it is only very slightly archaic, mainly in the area of pronouns and verbs. In syntax, diction, and general feel, it's a lot closer to modern than to Elizabethan English.
reply: I agree. Its not that bad once you get used to it.
So, is the language of the Orthodox New Testament purhaps close to the 1941 Confraternity version? It seems that there would not be many hard-for-me-to-understand archaic words in the Orthodox New Testament, so right now I'm not feeling like buying the Confraternity version. (If someone has an superfluous Confraternity New Testament to sell to me, send a PM, there is no hurry, probably I'm not buying it for years.)
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2005, 02:46:20 AM »

I wonder if the translators are considering doing an "Orthodox Old Testament" to go along with their New?

I dunno if they will release it as a single volume apart from the NT or only with both the OT & NT bound together, but anyways - here is the site: http://www.lxx.org/

In Christ,
Aaron
Slotte

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2005, 09:25:31 AM »

I cancelled the orders on the Challoner and Confraternity New Testaments, and I wont be buying them later. I'm satisfied with getting only the Orthodox New Testament.
Ghazar

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2005, 04:44:24 PM »

I dunno if they will release it as a single volume apart from the NT or only with both the OT & NT bound together, but anyways - here is the site: http://www.lxx.org/

In Christ,
Aaron

Actually I was referring to the "Orthodox New Testament" not the "Orthodox Study Bible - New Testament and Psalms."  The former is actually an Orthodox translation of the New Testament, the latter is a Protestant translation (NKJV) of the NT and Psalms with Orthodox notes.  The site you gave is for the new English Septuagint translated by the OSB writers which will use NKJV language (which looks promising).

Slotte

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2005, 05:05:32 AM »

new English Septuagint translated by the OSB writers which will use NKJV language (which looks promising).
That will mean that it will be formal equivalent!
I prefer dynamic equivalent New Testaments, such as:
  • '98 La Bible de J+¬rusalem. Nouv. +¬d. rev. et corr (A corresponding English translation is highly likely to come, but it'll take a while, probably the translation work hasn't even started yet, (if it even has been planned yet!). But I'll wait.)
  • Good As New (ISBN: 1903816734)
Slotte

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2005, 05:47:15 AM »

Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2005, 03:29:20 AM »

Actually I was referring to the "Orthodox New Testament" not the "Orthodox Study Bible - New Testament and Psalms."

Oops, my bad! Embarrassed 
sin_vladimirov
ANAXIOS!
Elder

ICXC NIKA

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2005, 08:44:36 AM »

I am using ONT and Brenton's LXX.

Very happy with both.

Lord have mercy.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print