OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 04:53:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If Religions were Movie Characters...  (Read 410 times) Average Rating: 0
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« on: May 16, 2013, 03:15:29 PM »

In a totally random moment of brilliance, I want to know how you would describe different religions using movie characters.

I see Orthodoxy as the Ents in Lord of the Rings.  They are ancient, slow to do anything, very deliberate in all their actions, and end up saving Middle Earth despite having a profound dislike for the entire world around them.

Anyone else?  GOGOGO

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Jovan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Diocese of Great Britain and Scandinavia

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 04:55:31 PM »

I see orthodox hermits as a smaller version of Hagrid ;P;P;P With all love and joy for our orthodox brothers/sister who constantly pray for us. 100% that Hagrid prayed for Harry Potter to succeed in Hogwarts!!!

“Belatedly I loved thee, O Beauty so ancient and so new, belatedly I loved thee. For see, thou wast within and I was without, and I sought thee out there."
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 05:33:34 PM »

I imagine that the Roman Pope would be Sith Palpatine from Star Wars since they're both old men with a lot of power.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Jonathan Gress
Warned
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 05:58:35 PM »

I always thought the analog of Orthodoxy, or at least Byzantium, in LRR was Gondor. You have this faltering remnant of empire struggling against the barbarian hordes (Mordor = Islam). But the empire was no longer ruled by an emperor, so their rulers don't have the same legitimacy (royal line of Gondor had died out, now ruled by Stewards). This would reflect Tolkien's Catholic POV: Byzantium served an important purpose in defending Europe from the Muslims, but it wasn't totally legitimate because of the schism.

Of course, Tolkien would take me to task for allegorizing, but I can't help but notice such parallels. There's plenty of elements in the story that don't at all fit into this interpretation.
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 07:12:48 PM »

I always thought the analog of Orthodoxy, or at least Byzantium, in LRR was Gondor. You have this faltering remnant of empire struggling against the barbarian hordes (Mordor = Islam). But the empire was no longer ruled by an emperor, so their rulers don't have the same legitimacy (royal line of Gondor had died out, now ruled by Stewards). This would reflect Tolkien's Catholic POV: Byzantium served an important purpose in defending Europe from the Muslims, but it wasn't totally legitimate because of the schism.

Of course, Tolkien would take me to task for allegorizing, but I can't help but notice such parallels. There's plenty of elements in the story that don't at all fit into this interpretation.

In the film, wasn't the rchitecture of Minas Tirith based on byzantine architecture? I think I read that somewhere.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
john_mo
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 08:22:09 AM »

See, I imagined Orthodoxy as being the Ents.  Ancient, wise, bearded, conciliar.  It takes them ages to decide anything amongst themselves, though it does happen eventually, and just in time.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 08:26:03 AM by john_mo » Logged

Love is not blind; that is the last thing that it is. Love is bound; and the more it is bound the less it is blind.

—G.K. Chesterton
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 08:32:24 AM »

Orthodoxy is Jango Fett. All the others are clones. Bobba Fett is the Roman church. People think he's cooler, he's got far more public view and fans, but still a clone.  Wink
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 08:37:03 AM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 08:38:56 AM »

I see the modern prosperity gospel Christians as the trolls in the Hobbit.  They aren't particularly bright and when they are exposed to the light, it is like talking to a stone statue.  Also, they are greedy.  Tongue

truthseeker32
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 02:49:49 PM »

I always saw the elves as being like Orthodoxy. You've got several different groups (elves in the Grey Havens, Elves in Rivendell, Elves in Mirkwood) that are all connected with one another. The elves also tend to be more wise and preserve a moral tradition in Middle Earth. They are less involved in the affairs of the world than other groups, but will fight when necessary.

Humans are like Roman Catholicism. They are larger and more prevalent, but also younger and more prone to passions. 
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 03:34:29 PM »

I imagine that the Roman Pope would be Sith Palpatine from Star Wars since they're both old men with a lot of power.
chip on your shoulder much?

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 04:36:26 PM »

If Christian religions were the Avengers....

Orthodoxy would be Captain America: the First Avenger;

Non-Chalcedoneans would be Hawkeye and Black Widow.. not as big as the other ones, with not as much power, they hint they were together in the past, but no longer. Each work pretty well on their own though;

RC would be the Dr. Banner/Hulk: very brainy, maybe too much, he got angry with people around him and actually because of that he became too big and too strong. Because the others would call him a monster in that state, he prefers to be alone. In the beginning (Hulk movies) he was sort of uncontrollable and would "smash punny churches". Eventually the rational side takes hold of the power of the monster and he learns to work with his colleagues again, even acting as per the strategy of Captain America. That last part remains to be seen. Wink

Iron-Man is the Protestant churches, always changing its external armor (rules and doctrines) every movie to become ever more relevant effective and cool.

Thor would be Christian culture and civilization (not religion). In sheer raw power it's the most powerful, but it's his evil brother Loki (culture of greed, dominion and passion for centralized power) that is the villain of the movie trying to conquer the world and kill the Avengers.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 04:48:56 PM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
TheTrisagion
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 05:01:43 PM »

Well done, Fabio, those are brilliant!  Cool

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 05:04:29 PM »

+1

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2013, 05:33:02 PM »

Orthodoxy is Jango Fett. All the others are clones. Bobba Fett is the Roman church. People think he's cooler, he's got far more public view and fans, but still a clone.  Wink
Isn't Bobba Fett Jango's son?

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"Simply put, if you’re not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it goodbye, you can’t be my disciple."
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2013, 05:54:21 PM »

Orthodoxy is Jango Fett. All the others are clones. Bobba Fett is the Roman church. People think he's cooler, he's got far more public view and fans, but still a clone.  Wink
Isn't Bobba Fett Jango's son?

A clone. Yet unaltered unlike the rest.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2013, 08:36:09 PM »

+1

That actually made sense...it would be good in a teen group discussion.
Gamliel
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2013, 08:42:08 PM »

Perhaps the Orthodox are sort of like Luke Skywalker.  We must use our free will to choose between good and evil. Undecided
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: