OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 26, 2014, 01:36:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about Armenian Orthodoxy  (Read 2101 times) Average Rating: 0
Jennifer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« on: May 16, 2005, 09:18:57 PM »

I just watched Sideways (a bit overrated, IMHO) which has an Armenian wedding.  I'm completely ignorant about Armenians.  For some reason, I'm thinking they're Oriental Orthodox.  I apologize if I'm wrong about that. 

In this wedding, the bride and groom put their foreheads together.  Is that an Armenian practice? 

Thanks!
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 09:31:49 PM »

Yes, I've seen that done.  It has something to do with the bride and groom "being one" when they are married.  You are right about our being Oriental Orthodox.

Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 09:50:45 PM »

I just watched Sideways (a bit overrated, IMHO) which has an Armenian wedding. I'm completely ignorant about Armenians. For some reason, I'm thinking they're Oriental Orthodox. I apologize if I'm wrong about that.

In this wedding, the bride and groom put their foreheads together. Is that an Armenian practice?

Thanks!

I watched a movie with a friend, and when it was over we (shame on us) went into another theatre playing Sideways and caught the last half hour.  I felt it was enough.
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 12:17:07 AM »

Actually, I think you missed out on all the important bits. I rented it and really enjoyed it. I thought the characters, while predictable, were also stereotypically real, and much of the conflict and development of the 2 male characters took place during the first 1.5 hours. What was left unsaid, or just barely mentioned, in conversations and arguments was what made it realistic. There was very little playing to the audience and revealing the history of the men; instead, we just see how they deal with each other and with the decisions they make. It's worth renting.

Qui cantat, bis orat
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 01:17:05 AM »

I figured that this thread would work as well as any others to ask for a little bit of clarity around the OO Churches.

How many different OO Churches are there?  I know of Coptic, Ethiopian, Armenian, Indian (St. Thomas Church?), and have some vauge notions of the big confusing affair that is Syriac Christianity.

Are all of these churches in full communion with one another, or does the category of Oriental Orthodox not imply a stable and fluid body of theology and communion?
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 01:51:41 AM »

The OO Churches are:  The Coptic Church; The Armenian Church; The Syriac Church; The Indian Church; The Ethiopian Church; and The Eritrian Church.

These are not the official titles of these Churches.  The official titles can get long and I'm too tired.   Smiley  We are all in communion with each other, although there is currently a schism between the Syriac and Indian Churches.

To learn more, you may want to click on some of the tags below.

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 02:05:28 AM »

I would also add that the Ethiopans have a rival Synod. This dates back to events that transpired under the Marxist Regime in Ethiopia...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 02:05:39 AM by Ukiemeister » Logged

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Tags: Armenian Church marriage Coptic Orthodox Church Syriac Orthodox Indian Orthodox Ethiopian Orthodox Church Oriental Orthodox 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: