OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 06:54:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Broken Heart  (Read 1509 times) Average Rating: 0
Betrayed

« on: May 16, 2005, 11:37:13 AM »

After having discussed some very personal family issues to a very well known clergyman in both Canada and the US.  It was suggested by Him that I go to Holy Mountain to seek refuge with a family member of mine who is in dire straights; and, after trusting this man, and after having spent over $1000.00 to see Him (including $200.00 donation) for one nights stay at the monastery. I was disappointed that He did not return my phone calls, to request a recommendation for entry to Holy Mountain.  :'(

Since my visit, my relative has gotten worse. Our family fears that He is living on borrowed time. To my own dismay, I’ve come to realize that the Orthodox Church and its clergy are nothing more than a pack of lies.

There was some recent exposure of scandalous affairs in Greece. It’s about time that church and state is separated in this country. Over the years I have heard what devout Orthodox refer to as “evil rumors” to tarnish the good name of the Church. Stories concerning acts such as rape, orgies amongst male and female clergy resulting in pregnancies, whereby the children born from those sinful acts were murdered and buried in the backyard of the Church.

I’ve heard personal stories of people who were unfortunate to be born into poverty. And because they could not afford to give money when the village priest was blessing each house in the community, their homes were looked over.

In my circle of friends, I was advised to seek out a very spiritual man who is not Orthodox. This man is a high ranking Llama in the Tibetan Buddhist faith. At first I resisted thinking that a foreign religion and philosophy couldn’t help. However I took the steps necessary to inquire and the Llama responded immediately. This shows me that they have time even for outsiders like me. There is a retreat on a beautiful island in this province where people can go and find peace.

I’m a bit skeptical, but my options are running out. As for Orthodoxy, I predict a collapse of the Church. More and more people nowadays can “voice” their opinions concerning Church affairs. Without the fear of being ostracized from their communities for speaking out, modern Orthodox Christians have the freedom to make up their own minds and challenge the practices and conduct of their clergy.   :argue:

One day, Mount Athos will fall.

NULL
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 11:49:58 AM »

Stories concerning acts such as rape, orgies amongst male and female clergy resulting in pregnancies, whereby the children born from those sinful acts were murdered and buried in the backyard of the Church.

Wait a minute.  Are you sure these stories weren't about the Roman Catholic Church, brought out into the light by that religious luminary Jack Chick?

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 11:55:34 AM »

I'm sorry you have had a bad experience. Trust not in men, who die and return to the dust, but in Christ, God, who loves all men and desires that none should be lost from Him. Christ is the Way and the Church is how we live the Way. Pray fervantly that your love for Christ will not fail even if you think some clergymen are bad. Do not judge the Church based on the way some people choose not to live by it, but trust in it and in Christ, who will not disappoint.

The "rumors" you speak of sound ridiculous to my ears. Look to Christ for support, and do not let your faith in Him be lessened by finding fault in your fellow fallen man.

Qui cantat, bis orat
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 11:56:17 AM »

Schultz,

We all know those stories about the RCC are TRUE! Wink

Qui cantat, bis orat
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 12:00:44 PM »

Betrayed,

I'm sorry for your hardships and wish you well, but surely you don't sincerely paint all of Orthodoxy with the broad brush of the sins of a few individual actors.

Furthermore, why is it that you "predict" or possibly even "hope" for the collapse of Holy Mt. Athos and all of Orthodoxy?

I sense you have come here with an agenda.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 12:04:06 PM by SouthSerb99 » Logged

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 12:45:32 PM »

I'm sorry you have had a bad experience. Trust not in men, who die and return to the dust, but in Christ, God, who loves all men and desires that none should be lost from Him.

And trust not in a Church made up of these men. Trust only in the Church within.
Augustine
High Elder

pray for me, please

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 01:14:47 PM »

"Betrayed"

I'm sorry to hear about your bad circumstances.  Yes, there are rotten Priests.  Given human nature, I'd be delightfully suprised if this were not the case.  But then again, there are also rotten doctors - I'd be willing to guess in proportion, more so, in comparison to Priests.  Yet, will you avoid doctors under all circumstances because of this?  Were you injured, would you prefer instead to go to some witchdoctor, instead of a genuine physician, because you had a bad run in with one in times past?  Indeed, there are some people who come to loath doctors because of a bad experience - but generally they are not so sweeping in their disdain of doctors, as are those who have had problem with someone who is supposed to be a spiritual-doctor.

Why is this?  I think it's in part, becuase the matters of the soul are more central and delicate to our being than those of the body - thus when this has been betrayed through quackery or self interest, the hurt this causes also runs deeper.  There are other possible reasons, but I think this is the basic one, and common to those who have these unfortunate experiences.

One thing everyone needs to keep in mind, when we see other Orthodox Christians behaving badly (in particular clergy, for there is more scandal in this), is that we are all sinners struggling against the conditions of our birth.  What fundamentally separates our condition from that of our first parents, is that we are not in peace and goodness "by default."  We emerge from the womb kicking and screaming, cold and fragile.  Watch small children - while we love them because they are in so many ways naive and all things are new for them (and we find this adorable - for this is as close as unredeemed nature comes to "innocence"), they're also a lesson in original sin - they are often aggressive and selfish, and downright inconsiderate of others...unless they are formed to be otherwise by a good upbringing and discipline.  What is my point?  That from the time we are little, we are struggling (often with the help of others) against that which in this present age seems natural - simply put, struggling against the inclination to be wicked.

In summary: when a Christian sins he is acting like the world.  We should not attribute this to Christ, or to the Christian struggle.  If anything, such lapses (or worse yet, deliberate descents into corruption and impiety) are evidence of a lack of observance, and an imperfect (perhaps far from perfect!) adhesion to Christian principles.  IN some wise this is something we all struggle with, in big ways and small ones - some worse, some better than others.

Now, how fair is to to blame Christ, or to reject the precious gifts of His Holy Mysteries and His Church (which yes has men as members, but is more than just those men - it is His very Body, with Him as the Head, and composed not only of those on earth, but also of Saints who would never betray anyone, let alone a fellow Christian), because someone refuses to listen to Him, and be faithful to His example?  I don't think that's fair at all.  And is that not why we are Orthodox Christians?  Not to make mom and dad happy, or to be "good Greeks" or "good Serbs" or what have you...but rather, because we love Christ and want His gifts of salvation?  Indeed, is there any good reason to be an Orthodox Christian besides this?

As hurt as you may be right now (I have no doubt you're upset, and perhaps with very good reason), apostacy is not the answer.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: