OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 04:37:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: St. Maxim Sandovich  (Read 4889 times) Average Rating: 0
emmanuelmelo

OC.net

« on: May 15, 2005, 12:53:58 AM »

After reading the biography of St. Maxim Sandovich, I feel so proud to be an Orthodox Christian.  Polish Orthodoxy is alive and well- thanks be to God!  I was curious about where to find the following things:

Icon of St. Maxim Sandovich
Medal of St. Maxim Sandovich
Books in English about St. Maxim Sandovich.

Please respond if you know how to find any of these articles- especially a medal- I would be most appreciative!  PS.  I have seen the internet articles about St. Sandovich, but I would like to find an actual hard-copy of his life.

-Emmanuel

NULL
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 08:44:37 AM »

[After reading the biography of St. Maxim Sandovich, I feel so proud to be an Orthodox Christian.  Polish Orthodoxy is alive and well- thanks be to God!  I was curious about where to find the following things:

Icon of St. Maxim Sandovich]

Try -

http://www.comeandseeicons.com/zcj06.htm

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
emmanuelmelo

OC.net

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005, 01:54:08 PM »

Thanks so much Orthodoc !  Keep the responses coming- especially regarding books and medals!

NULL
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2005, 03:34:10 PM »

Ahem...to be correct, I prefer "St. Maksym". Smiley

Spelling truer to his Polish/Lemko background, unless I'm wrong...again.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Lemko Rusyn

Faith: Православно-католицька віра нашых вітців
Jurisdiction: Русиньска ґрекокатолицька церьков свого права

Пресвятая Богородице Повчанская, спаси нас!

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 12:38:35 PM »

St. Maxim was born in the village of Zhdynia, Galicia. It was under the Austro-Hungarian Empire, but it had been part of the Ukraine.

This is totally wrong. This part of Galicia (Lemkovyna, in present-day Poland) was never "part of the[sic] Ukraine". Nor was it ever part of "Russia", for that matter.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 12:39:24 PM by Lemko Rusyn » Logged
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 01:20:51 PM »

[This is totally wrong.  This part of Galicia (Lemkovyna, in present-day Poland) was never "part of the[sic] Ukraine".  Nor was it ever part of "Russia", for that matter.]

I agree!

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
cizinec
High Elder

There ain't no way but the hard way.

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 01:36:20 PM »

I've read about him before.

I know it may not be appropriate, but I love his name.  Maybe it's a little name envy.

I always thought that Ukrainians were a bit sensitive about using "the" in front of Ukraine.  I understand the whole "border" thing with the Russians.  I still call "Czech Repupblic" "the Czech Republic".  Of course I don't say "the Slovakia" or "the Germany" so Ukraine it be. 

"Brother, your best friend ain't your Momma, it's the Field Artillery."
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 06:08:15 AM »

I've visitted the grave he used to be buried. And one of his sons used to be a rector of my grandfather's parish.

#epicbump

I prefer referring to saints and monastics in a language you are writing in. 3 languages in one sentence is not nice.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 06:09:47 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 06:20:32 AM »

I've visitted the grave he used to be buried. And one of his sons used to be a rector of my grandfather's parish.

#epicbump

I prefer referring to saints and monastics in a language you are writing in. 3 languages in one sentence is not nice.

Yeah, and I prefer discussing topics in the decade in which they were started.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 06:21:14 AM »

#epicbump

I'm bored at work.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee..."

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 10:03:44 AM »

LOL!

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 11:11:12 AM »

So this relates to "Orthodox-Catholic Discussion" ... how?  Huh

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 11:12:01 AM »

So this relates to "Orthodox-Catholic Discussion" ... how?  Huh

Oh boy, duck.....we're going down the history hole soon....and not a pretty one either.
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 11:18:15 AM »

So this relates to "Orthodox-Catholic Discussion" ... how?  Huh

Oh boy, duck.....we're going down the history hole soon....and not a pretty one either.

No, I read the Orthodox Wiki article http://orthodoxwiki.org/Maxim_Sandovich:
It was not very long before the Austrian militia discovered his Orthodox pastoral and missionary service as he was denounced by a Ukrainian teacher by the name of Leos, in 1912. Immediately the Austrian gendarmes put Fr. Maxim in chains and sent him to prison in Lvov. There he was held for two years without a trial or inquest while being abused horribly and living in equally bad conditions. Then as World War I was to begin he was released for lack of evidence.

Note it says it was the "Austrian militia" that arrested him. If you're going to tell me that Austria was actively persecuting the Orthodox, in the name of the Roman Catholic Church, at the beginning of World War I, I may need some documentation.

Also, sorry, but what is the point of this? That in the past, Catholics have persecuted Orthodox? Yes, it's true. And in the past Orthodox have persecuted Catholics. In fact, pretty much every Christian group has persecuted other Christian group at one time or another. The question is, how do we, today, keep from persecuting our fellow Christians, today?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 11:28:10 AM by theistgal » Logged

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 11:58:13 AM »

It was not very long before the Austrian militia discovered his Orthodox pastoral and missionary service as he was denounced by a Ukrainian teacher by the name of Leos, in 1912. Immediately the Austrian gendarmes put Fr. Maxim in chains and sent him to prison in Lvov. There he was held for two years without a trial or inquest while being abused horribly and living in equally bad conditions. Then as World War I was to begin he was released for lack of evidence.

Note it says it was the "Austrian militia" that arrested him. If you're going to tell me that Austria was actively persecuting the Orthodox, in the name of the Roman Catholic Church, at the beginning of World War I, I may need some documentation.

Also, sorry, but what is the point of this? That in the past, Catholics have persecuted Orthodox? Yes, it's true. And in the past Orthodox have persecuted Catholics. In fact, pretty much every Christian group has persecuted other Christian group at one time or another. The question is, how do we, today, keep from persecuting our fellow Christians, today?

I am NOT saying that, but others will.

My point of view regarding history and its value and the dangers of allowing its excesses to consume the minds, hearts and souls of the faithful are well documented over the years I have posted here. Louder poster than I will no doubt take issue with that. I'm sorry if my attempt at humor was misguided and led you to think I was throwing a Molotov cocktail.
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2013, 12:12:00 PM »

You mean like Talerhof or Grabar's case?
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2013, 12:17:39 PM »

[No, I read the Orthodox Wiki article http://orthodoxwiki.org/Maxim_Sandovich:

Just a side note: the whole issue was a political one: Russia & Austria were enemies.  
Anyone who was a Russophile, whether Eastern Catholic or Orthodox was suspicious to the Austrian government.  Please note that both Catholic & Orthodox Russophiles were arrested at the time.
Orthodox sympathies were characteristic of the people of the Carpathian Mountains, and to a lesser extent of the Galicians. Alarmed by the growth of these sympathies and correctly concluding that this growth was being directed toward rapprochement with Russia, the Austro-Hungarian authorities began to eradicate the "Russian" sedition. Unprecedented repressions were imposed upon the Russophile clergy, both Uniate and Orthodox. The area teemed with informers. Not only the gendarmes, village clerks and sheriffs, but also teachers and some of the clergy denounced their neighbors. It reached the point where, in some areas of Carpatho-Rus', the entire educated class --- priests, lawyers, judges, teachers, high school and university students, as well as peasants --- were arrested en masse. The prisons were quickly overflowing with those accused of treason.
In accordance with a directive issued by Vienna, the Uniate Metropolitan of Lviv, threatened by the growth of Orthodoxy, quickly shifted his ecclesiastical policy to one of isolation from all that was Orthodox and Russian. He drew up a Ukrainian Uniate ritual that differed significantly from Orthodox ritual. The names of saints especially revered in Russia were deleted from the calendar. The veneration of wonder-working icons of the all-holy Theotokos that had manifested themselves in Russia (e.g., the Iveron, Kazan and Pochaiev Icons) was proscribed. The word "Orthodox" was replaced in the divine services with "Catholic". Candidates suspected of Russophile sympathies were refused admittance to the Uniate seminaries, acceptance being confined exclusively to those who professed a Ukrainian outlook and were prepared to submit a written oath of hatred for Russia.
Throughout the Carpathian region a tremendous upheaval shook the parishes. Uniate priests of Russian persuasion were driven from their posts, their families were thrown out into the streets, and few were the courageous souls who dared to defy the authorities by sheltering the homeless. The parishes were then turned over to newly ordained priests who had received their education at the hands of the Jesuits at the Basilian College. The imposition of the new Ukrainian Uniate ritual was entrusted to the Jesuit-educated monks of the "Order of Saint Basil the Great". But if life had become so difficult for the Uniate Russophile clergy, it was far worse for the few Orthodox priests and their families in Carpatho-Rus' and Galicia. One such priest is Hieromartyr Maximus Sandovich, of blessed memory.

http://www.lemko.org/religion/maxim/1.html
Any book by Prof. John -Paul Hymka on that era is useful for the historical background.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2013, 01:53:16 PM »

http://books.google.com/books?id=TmXYeKOISCoC&pg=PA20&dq=%22He+assured+the+Austrian+government+that+he+had+already+taken+some+preliminary+steps+to+have+these+measures+approved+by+the+Vatican.%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=qw9gUs3TMoS0ygHk2oEQ&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22He%20assured%20the%20Austrian%20government%20that%20he%20had%20already%20taken%20some%20preliminary%20steps%20to%20have%20these%20measures%20approved%20by%20the%20Vatican.%22&f=false
Morality and Reality: The Life and Times of Andrei Sheptyts'kyi
 edited by Paul R. Magocsi, Andrii Krawchuk

http://www.carpatho-rusynacademy.org/hissighet.html
Maramorosh Sighet trial

The New York Times ran an interesting series of articles on the Trial at the time.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2013, 03:38:07 PM »

I'm sorry if my attempt at humor was misguided and led you to think I was throwing a Molotov cocktail.

Aww - I'm sorry that I didn't recognize your Molotov sense of humor.  Cool  Grin

Rufus
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2013, 09:43:06 PM »

St Maxim Sandovich? Is that something I can eat?
Tags: Poland Polish Polish Orthodox Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: