OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 28, 2014, 09:05:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: sign of the Cross  (Read 2844 times) Average Rating: 0
Stray

Place Personal Text Here

« on: May 14, 2005, 05:45:28 PM »

Hi.
I have just been reading Rilian's post and I would like to ask another question with regards to crossing one's self.
While attending a funeral in a protestant church, when would it be appropriate to make the sign of the Cross during prayers?
Also, when praying alone, when would it be appropriate ?
Thank you,
Stray.

NULL
lpap

I stopped participating in this forum.

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 07:45:21 PM »

Anytime, anyplace, as long as you feel like it. Just try not to annoy or not to embarrass other people. When you can not cross your self using your hand, do it noeticaly in your heart.

I pray the power of Cross may keep you safe and joyful.

Life is to live the life of others.
Milliardo
Saviour Gundam Pilot

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

Saviour Gundam Pilot

Milliardo
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 03:45:29 AM »

Out of respect and courtesy, i do not make the sign of the cross in a Protestant church. This is very inappropriate and very out of place (you'd feel awkward as well, I am sure).
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 07:15:55 AM »

At a funeral, where many peoples of diverse religious backgrounds may be present, I would feel fine about crossing myself. I dont expect my Protestant friends to cross themselves when they visit my church, and I expect the same level of courtesy when I visit somewhere else. I'd suggest the same as lpap, to cross yourself when you are drawn to, and if someone hisses at you for to stop, then stop at their request.

Qui cantat, bis orat
BasilCan

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 08:54:35 PM »

Some consider crossing one's self in a Non-Orthodox church or setting as "praying with heretics." I tend to cross myself with those who cross themselves. I.E. Catholics and other Orthodox. In "non-crossing groups" I just bow my head. You have to remember, at least in some of the protestant churches I have been in, I don't really know whom they are praying to with all this gender inclusive stuff. Thus, I tend to keep a low profile.

Basil
Tikhon29605
High Elder

May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 06:35:49 AM »

Out of respect and courtesy, i do not make the sign of the cross in a Protestant church. This is very inappropriate and very out of place (you'd feel awkward as well, I am sure).

It depends on what KIND of Protestant church it is. I've crossed myself before in Lutheran and Anglican churches and many of them do so as well. In fact, when I was Lutheran we ALL would cross ourselves after receiving Holy Communion, and sometime people would at other points in the service. All Protestants are not afraid of making the Sign of the Cross.
Tikhon29605
High Elder

May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 06:38:19 AM »

Come to think of it, I even crossed myself at my Mother's coffin at her funeral in the Baptist church. And I don't believe anyone hissed or begrudged me that act of respect and piety. They all knew I wasn't Baptist and didn't expect me to pretend to be one.
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005, 11:09:18 AM »

[Out of respect and courtesy, i do not make the sign of the cross in a Protestant church. This is very inappropriate and very out of place (you'd feel awkward as well, I am sure).]

Out of respect for my Lord and Saviour and the Holy Orthodox Catholic faith I make the sign of the Cross whenever and wherever I feel the need to do so.

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2005, 11:12:42 AM »

[Out of respect and courtesy, i do not make the sign of the cross in a Protestant church. This is very inappropriate and very out of place (you'd feel awkward as well, I am sure).]

Out of respect for my Lord and Saviour and the Holy Orthodox Catholic faith I make the sign of the Cross whenever and wherever I feel the need to do so.

Once again (it must be blue moon time), Bob, we can find an issue to agree on.  I make the Sign of the Cross much the same. 

The only respect you have to give a Protestant who does not do so is to allow him that option, meaning don't say, "But you're not crossing yourself!  You have to cross yourself!".

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2005, 12:50:03 PM »

I agree as well. When I'm in others's churches, I do whatever I feel as long as it is not offensive (like knocking over the altar table and ripping up the bibles or something.) When I bring friends to my church, I tell them they can do as little or as much as they feel comfortable with. Some cross themselves, even the Protestants! Some venerate the icons. Some just stand next to me and look bewildered. It's no biggie.

Much of the time, however, I do not cross myself in other's churches. Usually because, for me at least, it doesn't feel like church, and it almost never feels like a time when one should cross onesself. It's the way it goes, I suppose.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2005, 12:59:33 PM by choirfiend » Logged

Qui cantat, bis orat
bergschlawiner

Sarisan

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2005, 09:43:39 AM »

Interesting that the question would come up re crossing one's self in a protestant or other church for that matter?  Is my memory serving me when I remember growing up and being taught it was a sin to enter a protestant church or jewish synagogue even for a wedding or funeral?  I eat in a big military mess hall or dining facility and see many soldiers praying before their meals and an occasional Catholic making the sign of the cross.  Why not this is a display of faith and if it offends anyone so be it!  I particularly make the sign if sitting on a table with Muslims present. 
Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: See of St. Mark

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2005, 12:43:52 AM »

â€Â  Irini nem ehmot â€Â

I'm sorry, but perhaps you could explain to me what you mean by this.  Since when is making the sign of the cross a disrespectful/inapproriate act?  It is by the cross that we are saved, and by making the sign of the cross we acknowledge the power associated with it, or am I missing something here?

Prayers please.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 12:47:33 AM by Cephas » Logged

Cephas 

"But he was wounded for our transgressions, crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the punishment that made us whole, and by his bruises we are healed."
-- Isaiah 53:5

"He who knows himself knows God"
-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
beewolf

In Thy Light we see Light

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2005, 03:50:33 AM »

Hi.
I have just been reading Rilian's post and I would like to ask another question with regards to crossing one's self.
While attending a funeral in a protestant church, when would it be appropriate to make the sign of the Cross during prayers?
Also, when praying alone, when would it be appropriate ?
Thank you,
Stray.

Protestantism is a very wide term that covers many denominations from Anglican to Methodist. In some of them (there are an enormous number of protestant denominations and splinter groups) it would be totally out of place. In an Anglican (Episcopalian) church it would be ok when the Holy Trinity is invoked at the beginning or at the blessing at the end. But if you were discreet and everyone was looking to the front or had their eyes closed in prayer it would'nt matter 'cause they would'nt see you.

Personally, I tend to make it anyway - it's part of my way of acknowledging and worshipping, i feel naked if i dont. If people are closed up in thier own tradition they need to realise that there is another one out there and it's been going for a very loooong time.

Blessings
« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 03:56:57 AM by beewolf » Logged

Gospodi pomiluy
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: