Author Topic: Book Recommendations  (Read 428 times)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: Yekmalian Monoculture
Book Recommendations
« on: September 30, 2014, 12:27:19 PM »
I was recently approached by a local gentleman with an unusual request.  Arabic, not English, is his first language, and while he's quite proficient in English, there is room for improvement and he would like to work on it, so he asked me if I would be willing to sit with him once a week and read.  He specified that he's interested in spiritual books like lives of the saints, works on prayer and repentance, and other topics that would roughly fall under the category of pastoral or practical theology. 

I'm not sure what the format of our meetings will be, but what I'm looking for is book recommendations.  I need books that are simple enough that he won't have to look up every other word in the dictionary (he mentioned that he's read books that required this and eventually put them down due to the frustration and lack of time), but challenging enough that he will make progress and find the time and effort not to have been wasted.   

Thanks!
Mor Ephrem is a nice guy.  Just say sorry and it will all be ok. Say I had things that were inside troubling me but I didn't know how to express appropriately. I will not behave that way again but I am seeking help.

thank you so much Mor ephrem you are a hero!

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Faith: Finnish Orthodox
Re: Book Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 12:31:12 PM »
The Way of Ascetics by Tito Colliander

Orthodox, very down-to-Earth and available free of charge online.

http://thewayoftheascetics.blogspot.fi/
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me St. Severus
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 12:36:45 PM »
Metropolitan Anthony Bloom books seem like the type of English that would help
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 12:53:47 PM »
I've been meaning to diversify into books that are outside of religion.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 12:54:46 PM by WPM »
Learn meditation.