Author Topic: Going to Great Vespers tommorow!!!!  (Read 7105 times)

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
Going to Great Vespers tommorow!!!!
« on: September 27, 2014, 12:57:44 AM »
So I am going to make it to Great Vespers tomorrow here:

http://www.stmichaelorthodoxchurch.org/

Very excited. Been once at the Antiochian church in Lexington, but going to be in Louisville tomorrow so I am going. Was going to go to the Greek Orthodox church, but to be honest it looks kind of bland in comparison to the Antiochian.

https://assumptionlouisville.shutterfly.com/

Do the Greek Orthodox normally not have an iconostasis?

And yes I know looks are not everything, but the devotion. But still, the Greek church is sort of lacking.

The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet.
                                                             -Aristotle

Mor Ephrem, section moderator[/b][/color]

Offline lovesupreme

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
Re: Going to Great Vespers tommorow!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 01:04:41 AM »
I am glad to hear you're attending services and hope that the church proves to me more than meets the eye. ;)

Also, it looks like they have an iconostasis. I'm pretty sure it's a requirement barring extraordinary circumstances.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 01:06:05 AM »
Good luck. Hope it is beneficial to you.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 01:12:31 AM »

Very excited. Been once at the Antiochian church in Lexington, but going to be in Louisville tomorrow so I am going. Was going to go to the Greek Orthodox church, but to be honest it looks kind of bland in comparison to the Antiochian.

And yes I know looks are not everything, but the devotion. But still, the Greek church is sort of lacking.

Looks like an iconostasis to me:

Most of the photos on the shutterfly page were several years old and looked like they were taken when the church structure had been built but the final touches on the interior had not been completed.

Anyway, have a good time tomorrow wherever you go.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 01:13:45 AM by Agabus »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline Paisius

• Ditry Pope-loving ecumenist
  • OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Depends on the mood
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 01:18:46 AM »

No it's not typical but an iconostasis is very expensive. It's not unusual for a parish to be without one for quite some time while they save the money to purchase one.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 01:40:41 AM »
Hope you get the most out of the Vespers service
Learn meditation.

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 02:13:29 AM »
Thanks.
                                                             -Aristotle

Offline quietmorning

• Archon
  • St. Photini please pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2014, 09:39:15 AM »
AWESOME!!!! Let us know how it goes!!

**happy dances**
In His Mercy,
BethAnna

Offline Nephi

• Protokentarchos
  • A non-Chalcedonian in Chalcedonian clothing.
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2014, 10:45:33 AM »
Looks like an iconostasis to me:

Most of the photos on the shutterfly page were several years old and looked like they were taken when the church structure had been built but the final touches on the interior had not been completed.

Anyway, have a good time tomorrow wherever you go.

Yeah, that looks like an iconostasis. The parish I sometimes go to doesn't exactly have one:

But it's not a big deal in any case, OP, hopefully it goes well for you. Just try not to focus too much on aesthetics and contrasting services to what you've seen.

Offline Laurentius

• Look at the birds of the air... (Mt 6:26)
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2014, 05:08:14 PM »
Mistake post. Please delete it.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 05:12:33 PM by Laurentius »
Holy Mother of God, save us!

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2014, 08:41:21 PM »
It was beautiful. Completely beautiful. They had a chapel where they do the vespers and it was beautiful. Met a nice girl who is also an inquirer to Orthodoxy. I might be able to make it again next week for Vespers as we will be in the area. And the next week we are going to the ethnic festival at the parish--food, drinks, dancers and the works. It's a really big parish. They even have apartments it seems. Not sure what is up with that. A lot of people there tonight. I talked to the priest who was nice and told me to email him if I had any questions. Really wish I could go more often. But all things in time.

A funny thing happened before I went though. A bathroom problem at McDonalds. I had to go number two. So I went in the bathroom and the stall was locked. I went out and after a few minutes went back in. Still locked but I did not hear anyone so I knocked. No response and I knocked a few times and asked if anyone was in there. Looked over the stall and no one was there. So I crawled under on the nasty stall. Then went to the bathroom and well, had a problem with wiping. In short, well, I did not get it all, though I got enough to be decent in the pants. I was hoping I wasn't smelt at church! Luckily there was lots of incense if I did.  :P The big church in Spain where St. James is buried--or is just his relics--has this big incenser and my old neurologist said that they used that originally for the smelly pilgrims that used to come there in the old days--to cover up the stink. I really hope I was not smelt.  :) I was really worried about that, especially after I talked to that girl.

-Aristotle

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2014, 08:43:39 PM »
TMI Lord have mercy.

Meeting girls always helps. That was the deciding factor in my son's conversion.
He really wanted us to convert with him yesterday.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 08:44:49 PM by Maria »
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline quietmorning

• Archon
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2014, 08:49:46 PM »
That's wonderful!  

You will never have that problem again, she probably thought it couldn't POSSIBLY be YOU.  And if she DID smell it, and if she did think it was you - and she asks you about it - you have a great story to convey to her! If she has any sense of humor at all, she'll laugh, but more importantly she'll know you are oh so very human and that will help HER relax!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 08:51:14 PM by quietmorning »
In His Mercy,
BethAnna

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2014, 08:53:55 PM »
Well, thank God I did not fall in love. I was charmed. I like that she was wearing a nice skirt, modest but tasteful. And we share the interest in Orthodoxy.  ;) I saw some nice Russian girl and then saw a wedding ring!  :P But what was really beautiful was not the girls but the service. And older Indian/Middle Eastern women actually. The devotion they had and the look as if they belonged there. Something beautiful to that ethnic feature in Orthodoxy. You get to see a variety of cultures.
                                                             -Aristotle

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2014, 08:55:36 PM »
And it's more like I talked to her briefly, not chatted her up. We were both lost looking for where vespers was, but hey, who want's to smell in front of anyone, especially a girl?  :o 
                                                             -Aristotle

Offline quietmorning

• Archon
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2014, 08:56:41 PM »
Well, thank God I did not fall in love. I was charmed. I like that she was wearing a nice skirt, modest but tasteful. And we share the interest in Orthodoxy.  ;) I saw some nice Russian girl and then saw a wedding ring!  :P But what was really beautiful was not the girls but the service. And older Indian/Middle Eastern women actually. The devotion they had and the look as if they belonged there. Something beautiful to that ethnic feature in Orthodoxy. You get to see a variety of cultures.

:)   
In His Mercy,
BethAnna

Offline quietmorning

• Archon
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2014, 08:59:57 PM »
And it's more like I talked to her briefly, not chatted her up. We were both lost looking for where vespers was, but hey, who want's to smell in front of anyone, especially a girl?  :o 

No one does, but muck happens, its a part of life.  And girls will go through and smell far worse in the course of their lives.  There's no way around it.
In His Mercy,
BethAnna

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2014, 09:10:32 PM »

No one does, but muck happens, its a part of life.  And girls will go through and smell far worse in the course of their lives.  There's no way around it.

I am sure the incense helped and that incense tends to cling onto clothes.

The Lord is good.
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2014, 09:17:45 PM »
They even have apartments it seems. Not sure what is up with that.
The church I spent my first couple of Paschas in had an apartment in it, a hangover from before they had a permanent priest and occasionally had to house visiting clergy overnight. When Pascha rolled around, I lived too far away to commute to all of the services and didn't have the money for a hotel room, so the church let my family sleep in the apartment. We and several friends stayed and did the all-night vigil. It was a great first Pascha.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 09:18:09 PM by Agabus »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2014, 09:37:35 PM »
The best thing is how people see you are new and greet you. You are always welcomed in an Orthodox parish. Plenty of older women to be godmothers!
                                                             -Aristotle

Offline Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)

• Merarches
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South (OCA)
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2014, 03:19:31 PM »

Honestly, many, if not most, Orthodox churches look kind of bland compared to St. Michael's, the church where its long-time pastor, Father Alexander Atty, put together a model parish. The chapel that you attended Vespers is open 24/7 for example. The apartments that you referred to are special: "The Holy Trinity Apartments, a residential facility for the elderly, was also built on the campus, as well as a facility to house special needs children and adults." (from the Internet site that you cited above. The composition of the parish reflects the United States more than any other country: "By the 1990s, St. Michael’s had tripled in size with not only traditional Orthodox Christians, but also converts from other faiths. After the fall of Communism, the parish became a beacon to the faithful from Bulgaria, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Ukraine and Yugoslavia. In addition, Orthodox Christians arrived from Egypt, Ethiopia, India and Palestine." (same source) Father Atty of blessed memory is now gone but it looks like they have a great leadership team. God is good and has led you to a wonderful Orthodox parish.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 03:20:16 PM by Carl Kraeff (Second Chance) »

Offline wainscottbl

• Swine of the Sheep
  • Archon
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2014, 04:23:23 PM »
Yes, it was gorgeous. The St. George Chapel is all I saw. I am glad it is open 24/7 like the Adoration chapels at certain Catholic churches, namely St. Martin of Tours in Lousville--a beautiful church with the Latin Mass. Yeah, it is a model parish. I am thinking I will make that my home one. My heart belongs to Russia, but that is not the reason to become Orthodox! The Antiochian is likely may second favourite. The closest Russian Orthodox Church is Cincinnati where they have built--or are building--a new church. But really I do like the Antiochian church. I've been to two and I like them. I'll have to at least check out the Greek Orthodox Church though. I do love Greece for its romance. That father in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" has a reason for his pride! They've given us pretty much everything that makes the Western world great.
                                                             -Aristotle

Offline Altar Server

• High Elder
  • Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2014, 07:46:25 PM »
I've heard the priest there is great and it is a gorgeous parish :)
All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!