Author Topic: Water discovered on other planets!  (Read 1456 times)

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
Water discovered on other planets!
« on: September 26, 2014, 11:32:43 AM »
If we have discovered water on other planets, we may discover life on other planets too!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 11:33:15 AM by xOrthodox4Christx »
I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Toumarches
  • Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!
  • Faith: Cafeteria CHRISTIAN Heretic
  • Jurisdiction: Here and now (well...sometimes...)
Re: Water discovered on other planets!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 02:46:27 PM »
It's probably far better if we don't.
"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline Punch

• Taxiarches
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 03:33:21 PM »
I wonder if anyone has ever thought that maybe these scientists are full of bull?  They can't find the cure for the common cold, but they can "see" water hundreds of light years away.  They probably have ocean front property to sell us in Arizona, too.
I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.

Offline jewish voice

• High Elder
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Still dont know yet
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 03:45:00 PM »
The pope last week said he would have no problem baptizing aliens if the wanted it. What does the vat know we don't know

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 04:45:00 PM »
Well, we can see water on Mars. It's in the polar ice caps. All you need is a decent telescope.

Given the vastness of the universe, it's not unreasonable to think that similar things may have happened elsewhere.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline homedad76

• High Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 05:13:54 PM »
And the water on Mars wasn't just discovered by telescopes but by the actual Mars rover.  And what is believed to be water on other planets has also been found by orbiting probes.  Keep in mind also that "water" doesn't necessarily mean H20.
"However hard I try, I find it impossible to construct anything greater than these three words, 'Love one another' —only to the end, and without exceptions: then all is justified and life is illumined, whereas otherwise it is an abomination and a burden."

—Mother Maria of Paris

Offline homedad76

• High Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 05:15:52 PM »
They haven't found a cure for the common cold because it is caused by thousands of different viruses.  And we have NEVER found a cure for a virus only vaccines.  And the common cold is both to relatively harmless and to variant to actually bother with that.

I wonder if anyone has ever thought that maybe these scientists are full of bull?  They can't find the cure for the common cold, but they can "see" water hundreds of light years away.  They probably have ocean front property to sell us in Arizona, too.
"However hard I try, I find it impossible to construct anything greater than these three words, 'Love one another' —only to the end, and without exceptions: then all is justified and life is illumined, whereas otherwise it is an abomination and a burden."

—Mother Maria of Paris

Offline Punch

• Taxiarches
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 09:41:57 PM »
They haven't found a cure for the common cold because it is caused by thousands of different viruses.  And we have NEVER found a cure for a virus only vaccines.  And the common cold is both to relatively harmless and to variant to actually bother with that.

And I don't believe they "see" planets, much less water, from hundreds of light years away.
I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 10:12:15 PM »
Scientists from the University of Maryland used Hubble’s wide field camera to analyse light from HAT-P-11b’s host star through the planet’s atmosphere. They found that light with a wavelength of 1.4 micrometres was absorbed, matching the absorption spectrum of water molecules.

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Toumarches
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 01:40:48 PM »
  Keep in mind also that "water" doesn't necessarily mean H20.

Yeah, it's probably more likely beer.  Or, if Russia's involved, maybe vodka.  ::)
"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline J Michael

• Toumarches
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 01:45:05 PM »

And I don't believe they "see" planets, much less water, from hundreds of light years away.

C'mon, Punch....scientists are special.  They see things ordinary mortals are just incapable of seeing.  You know...kinda like...seers. :D

Offline Sinful Hypocrite

• Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
  • Archon
  • The Lord helps those who help others
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: God
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2014, 06:10:08 PM »
The fact that a comet is made of ice, and that the oort cloud contains millions of comets is also a testament to the abundance of water in the universe.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 06:10:35 PM by Sinful Hypocrite »
The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“

Offline Chiere

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Penalty Box
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Indianapolis
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2014, 09:28:25 AM »
  Keep in mind also that "water" doesn't necessarily mean H20.

Yeah, it's probably more likely beer.  Or, if Russia's involved, maybe vodka.  ::)

That would be interesting water. Those would be some pretty drunk aliens. :D
To God Be the Glory!