OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 01, 2014, 09:16:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Actual Site of Chalcedon  (Read 2469 times) Average Rating: 0
Al

« on: May 12, 2005, 05:29:55 PM »

I guess Chalcedon can be a hot topic here, so be advised that I'm not interested in debating the results, just finding out where exactly the council was held: St Euphemia of Chalcedon.

I’m trying to identify the location of a church in old Chalcedon (Kadikoy), now a part of Istanbul. This is the information I have:

“The virgin St. Euphemia and her companions suffered martyrdom there, probably under Galerius (305-11). It is in her magnificent church that the Fourth General Council against Eutyches, known as the Council of Chalcedon (451), was held. This church was situated on the top of the hill at Ha+»dar-Pasha (Haider Pasha); it was destroyed by Suleiman to build his mosque in Constantinople.”

So, can anyone identify this mosque for me?

BTW, I know there is also a church called "St. Euphemia near the Hippodrome" (ruins only) and possibly an existing, modern church called St. Euphemia, possibly in Kadikoy. It does not seem that this latter church in in the right location.

Thanks!

NULL
lpap

I stopped participating in this forum.

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 07:37:58 PM »

you can see in the lower right side of the picture the Kadik+¦y - Chalcedon (Asian Istanbul right across the Sea of Marmara)

This is how it looks from the sea today:

The church of St. Euphemia the Martyr was built in the fifth century AD and is a circular building standing in Sultanahmet Square. The most unique feature of this building is its very interesting frescos. One of these portrays the torture and death of Euphemia from Kadikoy who is believed to have been killed because of her religious beliefs.Though the church dedicated to St. Euphemia collapsed in 1951, its frescoes are preserved under an awning. Its original structure came about when the magnificent domed hall which was accessible form the Antiochus Palace was turned into a church in the 5th century. Destroyed after the conquest in 1453, the church is famous for its frescoes depicting the life of St. Euphemia as well as its ruins showing early church architecture. The remaining pieces from the chest containing St. Euphemias holy relices are preserved in the Church of St. George Church in Fener.

The location of the Church of St. Euphemia that you are reffering to can be found in site: http://www.istanbulambassadorhotel.com/istanbulmap/onelocation.php?locationid=245&categoryid=8
As you can see from the map, this church is not at Chalcedon, but in the main city of Constantinouple (Istanbul).

You can find the story of St. Euphemia in this site: http://saintgeorge.org/news_and_events/church_calendar/saint_of_the_day/09sep/sep_16_st_euphemia_the_martyr.php

There is a church at Chalcedon http://www.istanbulguide.net/istguide/artetarch/eglises/euphem.htm that is dedicated to Her.
It is in 1694, that the m+¬tropolite of Chalc+¬doine (Kadik+¦y) have the authorization to rebuild this sanctuary on the ruins of a Byzantine church. It was financed by Russia and was dedicated to holy Euph+¬mie, virgin-martyr. The remainders of the holy are at the orthodoxe patriarchate of Phanar (Fener), except the head that was carried by the crusaders to the convent of Lucelle in the principality of Basle, at the time of the conquest of the city in 1204.

You can find the information for the place where the 4th Ecumenical Council took place in site:http://meltingpot.fortunecity.com/alexandra/849/IstanbulTour.htm

The entrance of the church:

The Icon of the Council:
« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 07:46:01 PM by lpap » Logged

Life is to live the life of others.
Al

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 08:33:37 PM »

Thanks for the reply. I had actually already found your web site.

I'm still a bit confused. The church you picture doesn't seem to be built on the same site. What I had read was the the original site was used for the site of a mosque. I find it hard to imagine in Ottoman times that a mosque site would re-converted to a church site.

I did look at the links, but my French is a bit rusty...ok, it was never very good.

NULL
Tags: Chalcedon 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: