Author Topic: Greeting Non-Orthodox Clergy  (Read 4402 times)

Offline TheMatt

Greeting Non-Orthodox Clergy
« on: September 24, 2014, 04:28:57 AM »
Greetings! I'm a new member of the Orthodox Church as well as this forum so forgive me if I do, say, or post anything incorrectly. I know the proper way to greet Priests and Bishops in the Orthodox Church but is there a way that we should greet other members of clergy in other denominations? My family is a melting pot of different faiths and when I visit their Church I feel awkward not asking for a blessing and kissing their hands. Guess I assimilated to our faith a little too easily and too quickly! Even to the point where thinking of crossing myself their way seems so foreign to me when it used to be second nature. Well anyway, just curious because I'd like to remain true to myself and our traditions but at the same time want to avoid an awkward moment where a Priest has no idea what I'm doing and recoils when I try to kiss their hand should they actually offer it. Thank you for your help!
GBU
"Lord I have cried to Thee, hearken unto me, attend to the voice of my supplication, when I cry to Thee, hearken unto me. Let my prayer arise, in thy sight as incense, and let the lifting up of my hands be an evening sacrifice."

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Re: Greeting Non-Orthodox Clergy
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 04:48:56 AM »
If you come into contact with heterodox clergy through your family, you can find out in advance what they want to be called. Generally, calling Catholic priests 'Father' and Protestant ministers 'Reverend' is a safe way to go about it. They may correct you, but you won't have committed some horrible faux pas.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline TheMatt

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 05:34:35 AM »
Thank you for the reply! A little proactive measures like you suggest seems best. What about holding out your hands, asking for a blessing, and kissing the hand that consecrated the body and blood of our Lord? Should I attempt to follow those traditions outside of the Orthodox Church?
GBU
"Lord I have cried to Thee, hearken unto me, attend to the voice of my supplication, when I cry to Thee, hearken unto me. Let my prayer arise, in thy sight as incense, and let the lifting up of my hands be an evening sacrifice."

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 06:08:17 AM »
Just be polite and you'll be fine. Retain your Orthodox customs but treat others as they would like to be treated. Various Eastern European and/or Middle Eastern customs would probably make them feel uneasy. They'd probably punch you in the face if you tried to kiss them. :P
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 06:37:39 AM »
Politeness, of course. But I wouldn't go as far as kissing a non-Orthodox priest's hand, even if it were culturally OK.
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline pensateomnia

• Bibliophylax
  • Archon
  • metron ariston
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 09:04:09 AM »
Just be polite and you'll be fine. Retain your Orthodox customs but treat others as they would like to be treated. Various Eastern European and/or Middle Eastern customs would probably make them feel uneasy. They'd probably punch you in the face if you tried to kiss them. :P

Absolutely not. As someone who interacts with non-Orthodox clergy every day, and has probably met and talked with well over 5,000 as part of my work, I can't think of a single one who would feel comfortable with such a gesture, nor does it make sense from an Orthodox point of view.
But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 09:10:17 AM »
I know quite a few non-Orthodox clergy. I would definitely not try to kiss their hand. I usually just shake their hand and say Good to see you today, Pastor (fill in the blank). When I am at my wife's church and they invoke the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, I cross myself in Orthodox fashion although I do tend to get some sideways glances on that since it is a Methodist Church. I feel that regardless of who is invoking it, it is a sign of respect to God, so I don't really care if people think it is weird.
God bless!

Offline Yurysprudentsiya

• Private Fora
  • Archon
  • God, the Great, the Only, Keep for Us Our Ukraine!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA, with a love for the UOC-USA
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 09:27:35 AM »
I would greet a Greek Catholic priest or bishop in the same manner as I would greet an Orthodox one.  This is rather usual for Ukrainian spirituality because the customs are identical and we have such a good rapport.  I call bishops of both confessions Vladyka.  Again, this is rather usual. 

It would seem bizarre to do this with a Roman Catholic or Protestant clergyman as I don't think we have the same ritual and they probably wouldn't know how to respond. 

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 09:44:47 AM »
I would greet a Greek Catholic priest or bishop in the same manner as I would greet an Orthodox one.  This is rather usual for Ukrainian spirituality because the customs are identical and we have such a good rapport.  I call bishops of both confessions Vladyka.  Again, this is rather usual. 

It would seem bizarre to do this with a Roman Catholic or Protestant clergyman as I don't think we have the same ritual and they probably wouldn't know how to respond. 

It depends. Today in America, the bitter religious fighting in the Rusyn and Lemko communities is a distant memory as family and even secular community wounds have healed as culture and familial ties have allowed for greater respect. Fifty years ago we would have at best ignored each other, today it's more or less like Yuri notes. Heck, the new Ukrainian Greek Catholic bishop in Ohio is a SVOTS alumnus and they've respectfully noted his elevation on their website. It's common courtesy.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Foolishness to the Greeks
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 09:58:42 AM »
You say "Nice to meet you," and shake their hand if offered. Most Protestants would think you're a crazy person if you said, "Pastor, bless."

Don't overthink it; they're clergy, not shamans.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 10:25:26 AM »
What I've learned my priest, is follow common courtesy, and call them what they or their flock would call them. But, it is not proper to ask for their blessing, because we are not in communion with them.

Offline TheMatt

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2014, 03:27:08 PM »
Wow thank you all so much for the replies. What a wealth of information I tapped into here :) Guess the general consensus is to keep our traditions with us. Will do! Thankyou again!
GBU

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 04:38:20 PM »
Welcome to the forum, TheMatt !

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 04:38:47 PM »
What I've learned my priest, is follow common courtesy, and call them what they or their flock would call them. But, it is not proper to ask for their blessing, because we are not in communion with them.

+1

Offline Gorazd

• Archon
  • Faith: 7 Councils
  • Jurisdiction: First without Equals
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 04:55:18 PM »
A blessing is not communion! I kiss hands/take a blessing from priests/bishops for whom it is usual, such as OOs or Ukrainian Catholics.

Offline Xenia

• Harmless Little Fuzzball
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2014, 05:10:43 PM »
When I meet up with my old evangelical pastor I say something along the lines of "Hey Bill!  What's the haps?"

He likes this.

Offline Shlomlokh

• 主哀れめよ!
  • OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Bulgarian/GOA
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2014, 05:11:03 PM »
A blessing is not communion! I kiss hands/take a blessing from priests/bishops for whom it is usual, such as OOs or Ukrainian Catholics.
You give legitimacy to their Mysteries when you do that. Surely you realize that?

In Christ,
Andrew
"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2014, 05:27:58 PM »
You give legitimacy to their Mysteries when you do that. Surely you realize that?

In Christ,
Andrew

I daresay you give Gorazd more power than he thought he had. It is a sign of civility and respect nothing more, nothing less.

Offline Gorazd

• Archon
  • Faith: 7 Councils
  • Jurisdiction: First without Equals
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2014, 05:35:30 PM »
Shlomlokh,

If I were to receive an actual mystery from them such as the Eucharist or confessing to them, I would "give legitimacy to their Mysteries". Btw, funny that you capitalise "Mysteries" when you apparently consider them invalid.

Finally it is up to God to know and decide whether their mysteries are valid. But to be honest, I have met wonderful non-EO priests who follow the Lord Jesus Christ with great sincerity. I wonder what an idea of grace, or even of God himself, is implied when they are labeled across-the-board as "graceless heretics".

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2014, 05:59:37 PM »
Shlomlokh,

If I were to receive an actual mystery from them such as the Eucharist or confessing to them, I would "give legitimacy to their Mysteries". Btw, funny that you capitalise "Mysteries" when you apparently consider them invalid.

Finally it is up to God to know and decide whether their mysteries are valid. But to be honest, I have met wonderful non-EO priests who follow the Lord Jesus Christ with great sincerity. I wonder what an idea of grace, or even of God himself, is implied when they are labeled across-the-board as "graceless heretics".

I refuse to believe that they are graceless heretics.  I will not condemn generations of my ancestors in such a manner.

For over three hundred years hundreds of thousands of common men and women, including my ancestors and the ancestors of most or many of the founders of the OCA, the Ukrainian Orthodox Church in the United States and Canada and the ACROD (and many others who became ROCOR and Patriarchal Russian faithful here) who were mostly peasants in the Austro-Hungarian, Polish and sometimes even the Russian Kingdoms lived under as Greek Catholics. They kept the Faith alive by practice and belief. If we believe that 'Lex orandi, lex credendi' is true we should not be so quick with the perjoratives and 'feel good' polemic. If it were not true, most of us whose families founded North American parishes in what are now those Orthodox jurisdictions would be Roman Catholic today rather than Orthodox.

Offline Shlomlokh

• 主哀れめよ!
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2014, 06:50:46 PM »
Shlomlokh,

I refuse to believe that they are graceless heretics.  I will not condemn generations of my ancestors in such a manner.

For over three hundred years hundreds of thousands of common men and women, including my ancestors and the ancestors of most or many of the founders of the OCA, the Ukrainian Orthodox Church in the United States and Canada and the ACROD (and many others who became ROCOR and Patriarchal Russian faithful here) who were mostly peasants in the Austro-Hungarian, Polish and sometimes even the Russian Kingdoms lived under as Greek Catholics. They kept the Faith alive by practice and belief. If we believe that 'Lex orandi, lex credendi' is true we should not be so quick with the perjoratives and 'feel good' polemic. If it were not true, most of us whose families founded North American parishes in what are now those Orthodox jurisdictions would be Roman Catholic today rather than Orthodox.
Yes, you come from a long line of Greek Catholics. We know. You don't have to tell us in every post. ;)

Who says you have to condemn them? Just because their mysteries are not concerned valid by the Orthodox does not mean they are damned. We aren't rigid legalists, IIRC. I certainly don't believe Rome (or her eastern rites) have valid sacraments but I don't think God would damn them in spite of that. I guess that makes me an intolerant bad guy?

In Christ,
Andrew
"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos

Offline Paisius

• Ditry Pope-loving ecumenist
  • OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Depends on the mood
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2014, 06:51:28 PM »

In Christ,
Andrew

There are holy people outside of Chalcedonian Orthodoxy. Surely you realize that?  ;)

I would ask for a blessing from an Eastern Catholic priest if I met one. I met a Malankara Orthodox priest a while back and he was one of the sweetest men I've ever met in my life. I asked him for his blessing and he gave it. Hopefully I won't burn for that.  :D

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2014, 07:00:24 PM »
I say "Reverend" if I do not know their title. If I do, I say the title.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline Nephi

• Protokentarchos
  • A non-Chalcedonian in Chalcedonian clothing.
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2014, 07:02:38 PM »
Greetings! I'm a new member of the Orthodox Church as well as this forum so forgive me if I do, say, or post anything incorrectly. I know the proper way to greet Priests and Bishops in the Orthodox Church but is there a way that we should greet other members of clergy in other denominations? My family is a melting pot of different faiths and when I visit their Church I feel awkward not asking for a blessing and kissing their hands. Guess I assimilated to our faith a little too easily and too quickly! Even to the point where thinking of crossing myself their way seems so foreign to me when it used to be second nature. Well anyway, just curious because I'd like to remain true to myself and our traditions but at the same time want to avoid an awkward moment where a Priest has no idea what I'm doing and recoils when I try to kiss their hand should they actually offer it. Thank you for your help!
GBU

I think proper greetings depend on a lot of factors. Some Latin Catholic priests are very traditional, you could probably ask for a ritualistic blessing (without the kissing though, I think that's often just done with their bishops AFAIK), while other Catholic priests will just give you a handshake or another more casual greeting. Not that you necessarily should go out of your way to ask for a blessing, but if they offer I probably wouldn't reject it myself if I knew them. As for more traditional Protestants (e.g. high church Anglicans/Lutherans/etc.), I have absolutely no idea about greetings but I wouldn't ask for a blessing. Any other kind of Protestant likely doesn't have blessings/greetings to even deal with. A Byzantine-rite Eastern Catholic would be just the same as an Eastern Orthodox probably, and I'd almost certainly ask one (or most Eastern Catholic clergy regardless of rite) for a blessing.

Now, assuming you meant "Orthodox" in the title to mean "Eastern Orthodox" specifically (given your Church affiliation), if you greet Oriental Orthodox (whom our Patriarchate of Antioch already has limited communion with and believes to be fully capital-o Orthodox) clergy it'll likely vary from Church to Church. I asked a Coptic priest for a blessing a while back and totally embarrassed myself. I habitually put my hands out and expected to go in for the hand-kiss, but little did I know that he would actually put his cross over my head, say a prayer (for people more knowledgeable, do Coptic blessings vary or is there a general "standard" form?), and only then I kissed his cross. I didn't try kissing his hand as well because I was too flabbergasted through my own ignorance and I knew that Coptic priests would sometimes pull their hands away anyway. To be honest I'm not sure how to even properly request a blessing, and whether any do the "Father/Master, bless" thing that Byzantines do.

TL;DR - it depends, but I'd say to definitely ask for blessings from Oriental Orthodox. 8) Also, I concur with what others said about calling Catholic priests "Father" and Protestant clergy by their specific title (Pastor, Reverend, etc.).
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 07:05:42 PM by Nephi »

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Foolishness to the Greeks
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2014, 07:07:12 PM »
I say "Reverend" if I do not know their title. If I do, I say the title.
This is actually my default... A hangup from my employer, which considers all clergy of all religions to be appropriately styled "the Rev."
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2014, 07:42:11 PM »

But you will generations of people's pagan ancestors?

Regardless of your ancestors, that doesn't change whether or not their faith was/is valid. Being Orthodox, I don't think you can assert that it is, unless you doubt the Church. Didn't Christ tell us that if we weren't willing to leave behind our families than we weren't worth Him?

Offline lovesupreme

• OC.net guru
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2014, 07:53:52 PM »
There's a Ukrainian Catholic Msgr. who visits us every Saturday. I kiss his hand and address him as "Father..." It only seems appropriate.

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2014, 08:01:45 PM »

In Christ,
Andrew

There are holy people outside of Chalcedonian Orthodoxy. Surely you realize that?  ;)

I would ask for a blessing from an Eastern Catholic priest if I met one. I met a Malankara Orthodox priest a while back and he was one of the sweetest men I've ever met in my life. I asked him for his blessing and he gave it. Hopefully I won't burn for that.  :D

I once met an Coptic priest at Costco!  

I totally respected him because unlike most of the EO priests I know, he actually wore his cassock, sandals, huge cross, etc...in public.  

I did approach him and greet him, and the old priest was so happy and jovial,...he immediately turned and found his wife to introduce to me.   We were like old friends.

Would I take the Eucharist at his church?  No.  Did I like the elderly godly man?  Yes.  Most definitely.

I don't think I betrayed God, or my Church, by showing him respect.
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Shlomlokh

• 主哀れめよ!
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2014, 08:12:25 PM »
Shlomlokh,

You read too much into the majusculed word. I'm damning no one. The whole reason one kisses a priest's hand in the first place is because of the mysteries his hand touches. Am I in error here?

In Christ,
Andrew

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2014, 08:43:18 PM »

In Christ,
Andrew

I once met an Coptic priest at Costco!  

I totally respected him because unlike most of the EO priests I know, he actually wore his cassock, sandals, huge cross, etc...in public.  

I did approach him and greet him, and the old priest was so happy and jovial,...he immediately turned and found his wife to introduce to me.   We were like old friends.

Would I take the Eucharist at his church?  No.  Did I like the elderly godly man?  Yes.  Most definitely.

I don't think I betrayed God, or my Church, by showing him respect.

I would do the same in the future, and have done so the past.
Some of the most loving priests are Coptic.
Thanks for sharing this, Liza.
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline lovesupreme

• OC.net guru
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2014, 08:47:51 PM »
Oh, when meeting with OO clergy, I would absolutely greet them in the same way I would greet my own clergy.

However, when I met with an Armenian bishop (who I thought was a priest), I kind of shyly held out my hands to receive a blessing and I don't think he noticed. We shook hands instead.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2014, 09:16:05 PM »

But you will generations of people's pagan ancestors?

Regardless of your ancestors, that doesn't change whether or not their faith was/is valid. Being Orthodox, I don't think you can assert that it is, unless you doubt the Church. Didn't Christ tell us that if we weren't willing to leave behind our families than we weren't worth Him?

Do you pay attention to anything in front of your eyes?  There are a number of people on OCNet who are genuinely interested in condemning others, but podkarpatska is certainly not one of them.  You, on the other hand, have repeatedly condemned others, starting with God himself. 

Stop fooling around. 
I think you can say ~ In the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit and post with charitable and prayerful intentions.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2014, 10:40:21 PM »
I have a simple rule of thumb....

If clergy wears a collar (e.g. dressed in black with a white collar) - I call them Father.

If clergy doesn't wear a collar (e.g. dressed in suit and tie or casual attire) - I call them Reverend.

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
  • A pulling horse cannot kick.
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2014, 12:10:51 PM »

If clergy wears a collar (e.g. dressed in black with a white collar) - I call them Father.

If clergy doesn't wear a collar (e.g. dressed in suit and tie or casual attire) - I call them Reverend.

Why not just call everybody brethren as Christ told you to?
I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2014, 10:39:21 PM »

Brother yeshuaisiam, mind your own business....

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2014, 05:49:12 AM »

Does American Lutherans call their clergy as Fathers? Not that it would be anyhow improper address them as Fathers but at least in Finland they wear collars but more common attribute is "Pastor" instead of "Father".
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2014, 08:16:50 AM »

Does American Lutherans call their clergy as Fathers? Not that it would be anyhow improper address them as Fathers but at least in Finland they wear collars but more common attribute is "Pastor" instead of "Father".

I grew up Lutheran in the US... our pastor always went by "Pastor ____"
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2014, 08:17:17 AM »

I'm too busy calling them Despota.
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline Shlomlokh

• 主哀れめよ!
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2014, 09:09:15 AM »

Even Episcopagan priestesses?

In Christ,
Andrew

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2014, 11:55:24 AM »

In Christ,
Andrew

"Reverend"?

It's just being polite.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2014, 11:59:28 AM »

In Christ,
Andrew
Sup yo
God bless!

Offline Shlomlokh

• 主哀れめよ!
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2014, 12:12:44 PM »

In Christ,
Andrew

"Reverend"?

It's just being polite.
No, I meant "Father." As in Rev. Fr. Sue Smith.

In Christ,
Andrew

Offline Yurysprudentsiya

• Private Fora
  • Archon
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2014, 12:13:17 PM »
I understand that some of them prefer to be called Mother.

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2014, 12:16:37 PM »
I'm not sure on this, but, wouldn't those denominations that ordain women also be those that don't use Father at all?

Offline Yurysprudentsiya

• Private Fora
  • Archon
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2014, 12:17:54 PM »
I'm not sure on this, but, wouldn't those denominations that ordain women also be those that don't use Father at all?

No.  The Anglicans/Episcopalians are an example of this.