OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 08:10:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prayer Books  (Read 1268 times) Average Rating: 0
SakranMM
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Most Holy Theotokos, save us!

« on: May 12, 2005, 11:47:28 AM »

Christ is Risen:

Hi everyone...I pray that my question doesn't spark any jurisdictional "wars" or anything like that, but here it goes anyway:

Does anyone have any objections to using prayer books and other devotional literature produced by monasteries, churches, etc...that belong to jurisdictions that you're not in formal communion with; for example - If I belonged to ROCOR and used a prayer book produced by the Antiochians, or vice versa....thoughts??? Again, please don't let this turn into a debate between jurisdictions...let everything be posted in peace and goodwill during this glorious Paschal season.

In the Risen Christ,

Michael

"And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us..."
Tikhon29605
High Elder

May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 02:47:36 PM »

The jurisdiction that publishes the prayerbook makes ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE as long as the prayers are faithfully translated.  My jurisdiction is the OCA. Sometimes I used Orthodox Daily Prayers (published by the OCA, St. Tikhon's Seminary Press).  But I have been known to use the Jordanville Prayerbook, published by ROCOR.  At times when I am in a hurry I will use the Morning Prayers from the Antiochian service book, simply because they are shorter.  I've also used the Brookline Prayerbook, published by Holy Transfiguration Monastery. The Greek Archdiocese also has a fine translation (in contemporary English) of Orthodox daily prayers on their website. It is far more important to have a rule of prayer and follow it than it is to worry about which translation is the best or "official"
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 02:57:45 PM »

The jurisdiction that publishes the prayerbook makes ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE as long as the prayers are faithfully translated. My jurisdiction is the OCA.

Exactly!  Should we all stop reading the KJV bible since it was translated by Anglicans?  Of course not! (Well, maybe yes, but only when good Orthodox translations in English available)
Sabbas
Drink from your own wells
High Elder

St. Glicherie True Orthodox Church of Romania

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2005, 07:13:10 PM »

I have been known to use the Jordanville Prayerbook, published by ROCOR.  At times when I am in a hurry I will use the Morning Prayers from the Antiochian service book, simply because they are shorter.
I am glad I am not the only one! The first Prayerbook I got was the Jordanville Prayerbook and for the first two weeks I had it I said every prayer for the morning and evening but then I ended up having to leave in a hurry one morning because I overslept and I really did not have time to pray all the prayers. With college that sort of thing happens a lot. Have you ever heard of what has come to be known as the St.Seraphim of Sarov prayer rule. St.Seraphim said that if you were really in a great hurry just saying the Lord's Prayer three times and the Creed three times while saying the Jesus Prayer often throughout the day would be enough. Now of course there are many in Russia, I have read, who practice this prayer rule. It is sad our lives have gotten hectic.

www.hungersite.com  Ãƒâ€šÃ‚  www.freedonation.com you can donate up to 20 times at freedonation.  http://www.pomog.org/ has online 1851 Sir Lancelot C.L. Brenton English translation of Septuagint.http://www.cnrs.ubc.ca/greekbible/ Original Koine Septuagint and New Testament.
Marjorie

OC.net

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 08:39:14 PM »

I agree... my favorite prayer book is the Holy Transfiguration one and I'm pretty sure they're, like, HOCNA. And a lot of people really like the Jordanville one too.

Marjorie

"The land of God is wide and large enough to provide room for everyone if we are humans. If we act like brutes, then there will not be enough room even if there are only four of us."

- His Holiness Patriarch +PAVLE of Serbia
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: