OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 03:26:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hiatus  (Read 4598 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« on: May 11, 2005, 08:14:05 PM »

Friends,

I am in a personal meltdown stage right now. You may have noticed a prayer request from me a few weeks ago. The situation, which unfortunately I will have to keep to myself, has gone over the edge. I can't participate on the forum for the time being because I just have to try and finish school (I am graduating May 21 with my M.Div.) and I have to try and figure some stuff out. I'll be back soon but just want to let you know I am not posting for probably at least a week, nor moderating. We have a fine moderating staff so they will just take care of things while I am off. Also Robert and Philip (Mor Ephrem) are adept at running this place.

Please pray for me. I hope to emerge from this crisis a better man and a better Christian.

Thank you.

Anastasios

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 08:35:38 PM »

Lord, have mercy. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 08:36:05 PM »

And be good, people...I've also got finals and papers, so I don't know how much I'll be able to do. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 08:37:56 PM »

Anastasios,

Yes, I remember the message you had written soem time ago. Of course you will have prayers made for you, and I truly hope things work out for you.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 11:19:01 PM »

Se+¦or, ten piedad...

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 02:01:00 AM »

Lord, have mercy

Qui cantat, bis orat
Brigidsboy
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Armenian

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 02:52:49 PM »

Gospodi Pomiluj!

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 08:05:26 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
emmanuelmelo

OC.net

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2005, 01:32:26 PM »

Be Strong Anastasios!  May the Theotokos have mercy upon your situation, and watch over you as a good and loving mother.  May our Savior  by his passion strengthen you, and St. Maximos Sandovich intercede for you !

NULL
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2005, 01:33:44 PM »

Thanks for all your prayers so far. Keep 'em coming. I see some improvement on the horizon.

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Strelets
Стрелец
Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2005, 02:26:01 PM »

Prayers to you, brother.

"The creed is very simple, and here is what it is: to believe that there is nothing more beautiful, more courageous, and more perfect than Christ; and there not only isn't, but I tell myself with a jealous love, there cannot be." ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2005, 04:00:10 PM »

Prayers brother D, mean time while you're away I'll be asking all to send those beer & other beverage donations to me, being Al Franken's 80th cousin to his other cousin's cousin.

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2005, 01:01:18 PM »

I'm also going to take a short break from here, something is amiss with me or this forum.

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.
Strelets
Стрелец
Elder

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2005, 01:51:22 PM »

Same here. The discussions are getting really bizarre.

"The creed is very simple, and here is what it is: to believe that there is nothing more beautiful, more courageous, and more perfect than Christ; and there not only isn't, but I tell myself with a jealous love, there cannot be." ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2005, 04:53:39 PM »

Aw, Jakub, they need us older types to provide balance (and good taste in potables.  Grin )

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2005, 05:43:43 AM »

Dustin,

Prayers, my brother, for peace of mind for you and God's guidance in whatever discernment or crisis faces you.

Many years,

Neil

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2005, 11:11:35 AM »

Hey if all the normal people leave the discussions will get even more bizarre Wink

Jakub
Archon

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2005, 05:47:13 PM »

Ebor,

I'm patiently waiting for Kosmo Kramer to join OCnet.

james

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2005, 06:15:41 PM »

Kosmo Kramer?!??  Huh

Mongo only pawn... in game of life.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Mexican
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2005, 11:07:00 PM »

Hi

I have a thing called "hiatus herniae" I usualy get sick sometimes because when I eat the food stays at my neck and takes lot of time to go down.   Angry

And it's even worse when I'm sad or depressed. Sad
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2005, 01:53:48 PM »

Hey if all the normal people leave the discussions will get even more bizarre Wink

Were there ever normal people here? :-P

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2005, 05:21:06 PM »

I will be gone to NC from tonight/tomorrow until Tuesday or Wednesday.  Please pray for me and my family.  Please also pray that I find a job. Thank you!

Anastasios

Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2005, 08:22:59 PM »

you have my prayers, for you and your family and for a job - Lord have mercy.

hmmmm...
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2005, 09:55:16 PM »

Prayers for the trip & job.

james

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2005, 03:47:33 PM »

Thanks for all the prayers so far.  I have had 3 things I needed to get accomplished:
1) get a new car
2) get a new apartment
3) get a new job

So I have accomplished #1, now I need a job.  I have applied to what would be a great job opportunity and I ask your prayers that I get an interview and do well. Thank you!

Anastasios

alexp4uni
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: kinda practicing theist
Jurisdiction: ecumenical kind

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2005, 03:49:36 PM »

Woo Hoo! Lets all pray for Anastasios to get a new yaht too!
Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2005, 04:06:09 PM »

prayers continue

hmmmm...
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2005, 05:45:33 PM »

No need for sarcasm.  I'm guessing that Anastasios is a poor piece of crap, being a fresh Seminarian grad and all.  I'm a poor piece of crap too, but it's more because I have daunting mortgage payments.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2005, 05:55:21 PM »

Yeah well if I end up homeless because I have no income, which will happen in exactly 3 weeks, I will come live with you, OK?

Jakub
Archon

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2005, 08:18:59 PM »

C'mon out West, there area a few rooms available within my familia, though my 6 grandkids would be calling you "Uncle D".

james

FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2005, 12:12:50 AM »

Prayers for you and your family, your job search, and apartment search!

That's quite a lot of things for you to get done in a short time, and I truly hope you will accomplish everything.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Jennifer
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2005, 12:24:36 AM »

Thanks for all the prayers so far.  I have had 3 things I needed to get accomplished:
1) get a new car
2) get a new apartment
3) get a new job

So I have accomplished #1, now I need a job.  I have applied to what would be a great job opportunity and I ask your prayers that I get an interview and do well. Thank you!

Anastasios

Prayers for a great job offer. 

A bit of unsolicited advice that I give all job seekers.  Have you ever considered a career in healthcare?  There are a number of nursing and healthcare tech positions that pay relatively well.  Plus benefits are usually very generous in healthcare fields.  There's good information on the Bureau of Labor website.  They require some education. 

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2005, 12:31:23 AM »

Thanks Jennifer.  I don't have any interest in the healthcare industry after having volunteered in a hospital, and I don't have any ability to do more schooling at this time anyway Smiley

Anastasios

Strelets
Стрелец
Elder

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2005, 12:13:35 PM »

Prayers indeed for a profitable outcome to your situation.  And hopefully you won't find yourself coming back here to rant about your job all day.

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2005, 01:29:32 PM »

Prayers indeed for a profitable outcome to your situation.ÂÂ  And hopefully you won't find yourself coming back here to rant about your job all day.

hehe. I had a horrible job for 10 months once* but by taking it as "my Cross" I was able to go home and not think about it and live a productive life.  So whatever God gives me I will take at this time Smiley

(* involved boss who yelled, cussed, and threw things).

Strelets
Стрелец
Elder

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2005, 01:57:04 PM »

(* involved boss who yelled, cussed, and threw things).

Sounds like a carbon copy of my former boss, minus the yelling, cussing, hurling.  LOL.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2005, 01:57:31 PM by Strelets » Logged

st.arius?

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2005, 10:47:14 PM »

Sounds like a carbon copy of my former boss, minus the yelling, cussing, hurling.ÂÂ  LOL.

I wish I could quote a great prayer from arius, but the church burned them all.

I think this will comfort you just the same Nicene.

An African Creed
A Masai version of Christianity's Nicene Creed, developed by missionaries in Africa.   

We believe in the one High God, who out of love created the beautiful world and everything good in it. He created man and wanted man to be happy in the world. God loves the world and every nation and tribe on the earth. We have known this High God in darkness, and now we know him in the light. God promised in the book of his word, the bible, that he would save the world and all the nations and tribes.

We believe that God made good his promise by sending his son, Jesus Christ, a man in the flesh, a Jew by tribe, born poor in a little village, who left his home and was always on safari doing good, curing people by the power of God, teaching about God and man, showing the meaning of religion is love. He was rejected by his people, tortured and nailed hands and feet to a cross, and died. He lay buried in the grave, but the hyenas did not touch him, and on the third day, he rose from the grave. He ascended to the skies. He is the Lord.

We believe that all our sins are forgiven through him. All who have faith in him must be sorry for their sins, be baptized in the Holy Spirit of God, live the rules of love and share the bread together in love, to announce the good news to others until Jesus comes again. We are waiting for him. He is alive. He lives. This we believe. Amen. 

cizinec
High Elder

There ain't no way but the hard way.

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2005, 11:47:31 PM »

You're so full of crap even the price of fertilizer in Siberia is dropping.  The Nestorian chruch is still around today, as well as many writings by Nestorius.  http://www.nestorian.org/

"Brother, your best friend ain't your Momma, it's the Field Artillery."
Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: See of St. Mark

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2005, 12:16:10 AM »

I can't help it.. but that creed is hilarious.  I wonder what those missionaries were smoking.  One other thing... i can't wait until the day I see someone with a user id that says: St. Caiaphas or something like that.   Grin

Cephas 

"But he was wounded for our transgressions, crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the punishment that made us whole, and by his bruises we are healed."
-- Isaiah 53:5

"He who knows himself knows God"
-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2005, 11:54:55 AM »

I heard the "Speaking of Faith" program on Creeds that had Prof. Pelikan as a guest as he has written a book on the subject.  Reading his book might be useful in getting the ideas clearer, maybe.  The Masai creed may sound odd to some, but parts of it have meaning to people who live where the Masai do.  The part about the hyenas isn't supposed to be funny, but is a statement that Jesus' body was not corrupted in the grave.  Think: what happens to corpses on the plains in Africa?  Scavengers are part of the ecology to take care of them. So if that is what someone knows from their life, this is a sentence that is meaningful.

Different Human cultures have different ideas or customs or patterns.  I've heard an anecdote that missionaries to the Arctic people in telling of Hell with the image of fire, didn't get the idea across as a place that was warmer wasn't a bad thing to them.

Just a thought or two.

Ebor

Cephas
There is no spoon.
Elder

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: See of St. Mark

γνῶθισε αυτόν

« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2005, 12:58:22 PM »

â€Â  Irini nem ehmot â€Â

I understand what you are saying, but I can't help but think that by changing the Creed, in such a way, it somehow implies that the Nicenean Creed was somehow lacking.  To change it up in such a drastic manner is, I feel, uncalled for.  Teach the Creed as is, and then expound on it if need be.  I understand that there are some concepts that are difficult to grasp, particularly in the case of people who may not be as well educated.  That is why missionaries teach the underlying meanings behind the Faith.  Of coure you can't go to a place, say Jesus is God and that's it.  It takes a great deal to understand that a man can be God incarnate.  But it is the cornerstone of the faith and cannot be compromised for the sake of clarity.  That's how I view the Creed as well.  It is quite clear as is.  However, if there are some parts that do need to be explained, then they most certainly should be.  Just my thoughts.

Prayers please.

Cephas 

"But he was wounded for our transgressions, crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the punishment that made us whole, and by his bruises we are healed."
-- Isaiah 53:5

"He who knows himself knows God"
-- Pi Nishti Abba Antony
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2005, 05:16:53 PM »

â€Â  Irini nem ehmot â€Â

I understand that there are some concepts that are difficult to grasp, particularly in the case of people who may not be as well educated.ÂÂ  

I think that having different cultural contexts, different environments are not the equivalent of "not as well educated". 

That is why missionaries teach the underlying meanings behind the Faith.ÂÂ  Of coure you can't go to a place, say Jesus is God and that's it.ÂÂ  It takes a great deal to understand that a man can be God incarnate.ÂÂ

This is a place where cultural background and understanding the people being evangelized is important. An example: when Christianity first came to Japan, Francis Xavier had some unintentional difficulties in that the descriptions of the incarnation at first came across as like that of the Buddha.  He had to learn how the people of Japan spoke and believed and their customs before he could really get the point across.

But it is the cornerstone of the faith and cannot be compromised for the sake of clarity.ÂÂ

I'm sorry, I find this statement to be, umm, curious.  One might think that "Clarity" meaning clear meaning and understanding would be a good thing.  Perhaps I don't quite understand what you mean.

That's how I view the Creed as well.ÂÂ  It is quite clear as is.ÂÂ

It is "quite clear" to *you* and to others on this forum, maybe.  You, I gather, are an adult who has studied his religion and theology.  That does not make it automatically clear to everyone. Many here also  have the advantage of having English as a major language (and some have Greek/Latin or other languages that have had Christian ideas for a long time).  Some things don't transfer easily into other languages either, it is useful to remember

However, if there are some parts that do need to be explained, then they most certainly should be.ÂÂ  Just my thoughts.

I wouldn't say "if" here.  Whether with children or adults there *are* parts of the Creeds that do need explaining.

With respect,

Ebor

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2005, 10:16:17 AM »

I am in transit between my former home in New York, a monastery, and my new home in North Carolina. So I will keep you all posted when I arrive. I should be out of commission for the next week.

Anastasios

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2005, 03:52:07 PM »

Official Update:

Things are much better but still in flux. Sorry for being cryptic Smiley Thanks for all of your prayers.

Anastasios

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: