OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 10:21:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Emptying of Hell and other questions  (Read 998 times) Average Rating: 0
searcher

« on: May 11, 2005, 12:06:00 PM »

I understand that Gregory of Nyssa (called the father of fathers by the 7th ecumenical council) believed that God would eventually empty hell, that this view was shared by manny at the time, and that there is some doubt it was condemned at the 5th eccumenical council. I believe Origen was condemned as a heretic at the 6th (or 7th) but that he also believed in reincarnation and the pre-existence of souls, and it's unclear what he was condemned for. My question is whether the view that hell is temporary (aionian, or age-lasting) was ever definatively condemned by any ecumenical council? I would also like to know if the belief in the pre-millennial second comming of Christ (which I believe was held by Papias, Justine Martyr, and Ireanus) was ever definatively condemned by any ecumenical council (and if so, which one, and in what words)? Could someone here please reply?

NULL
idontlikenames
I'm gonna be the next Matthew777 (whatever that means)

You forgot my briefcase

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 12:32:53 PM »

Answer to your first question: NO, the emptying of hell was never condemned at any Ecumenical Council or by any canonically accepted council period for that matter.  Answer to your second question: I believe the belief you are referring to is that Christ will literally reign in a political, Messianic Kingdom, whereafter He hands the Kingdom over to the Father.  If this is the one you refer to.....this belief was condemned at the Second Ecumenical Council (Constantinople 381), by the addition of the words "...and His Kingdom will have no end" to the Nicene Creed.  Although the Church has no official position over the whole pre-rapture/post-rapture issue, most Orthodox theologians reject the idea that there will be a pre-tribulational rapture.

Welcome to the site and may God lead you to Peace, Truth, and Joy (woops...that didn't sound patronizing and condescending did it?)

laa ilaah illa al-Maal wa Rothschild howa nabeehi
searcher

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 12:49:59 PM »

>>>>Answer to your first question: NO, the emptying of hell was never condemned at any Ecumenical Council or by any canonically accepted council period for that matter.<<<<
Thank you.
>>>>Answer to your second question: I believe the belief you are referring to is that Christ will literally reign in a political, Messianic Kingdom, whereafter He hands the Kingdom over to the Father. If this is the one you refer to.....this belief was condemned at the Second Ecumenical Council (Constantinople 381), by the addition of the words "...and His Kingdom will have no end" to the Nicene Creed.<<<<
The pre-trib rapture is really a seperate question (as many pre-mills don't believe in it), and the word "political" seems to imply more of a post-millennial view to me. The view I'm referring to is the view that Jesus will return to the earth with his resurrected saints and reign for a thousand years (or more) before the general Judgment. Some would say (and I would tend to agree, based on 1 Cor. 15:20-28) that some time after this (perhaps eons later), when there is no more opposition to God, Jesus delivers the kingdom to God (but the kingdom, now a family, goes on.) I ask for your thoughts here, and welcome any information you can give me on the Antiochan Church. God bless.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 12:51:48 PM by searcher » Logged

NULL
SetFree
King of Kings

Faith: Oriental Orthodox (Catechumen)
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

Christ, Our God, To Earth Descendeth...

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 01:00:25 PM »

As was said, the pre-millenial second coming of Christ was condemned by the Church in the Second Ecumenical Council when the Nicean Creed was amended to say "...Whose Kingdom shall have no end."  I recommend you read THE TRUTH OF OUR FAITH by Staretz Cleopa of Romania.  In it he refutes Chiliasm (the belief that Christ will return and reign with His saints for a thousand years).

At His Feet The Six-Winged Seraph, Cherubim, With Sleepless Eye, Veil Their Faces To His Presence As With Ceasless Voice They Cry:ÂÂ  Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!ÂÂ  Lord Most High! --From the Liturgy of St. James (Translated by Gerard Moultrie)
lpap

I stopped participating in this forum.

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 02:19:25 PM »

Dear searcher,

Indeed st. Gregory of Nyssa talked about future restoration ("apokatastasis" in greek) of every human in the Reign of God. He was talking about restoration of nature, not restoration of consent. So, he was not talking about the Origenian restoration of will. Acts 3:21 “whom heaven must receive until the period of restoration of all things about which God spoke by the mouth of His holy prophets from ancient time“.

In this context the "hell" is not a natural torment, but a personal torment experienced from human beings that will have a restored perfect nature. Hell is declared as everlasting in each and every Orthodox Ecumenical Council. Matthew 25:46 "These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life." - Jude 1:6 “And angels who did not keep their own domain, but abandoned their proper abode, He has kept in eternal bonds under darkness for the judgment of the great day,..”

St. Gregory is indeed the "father of fathers" !!

If the "second coming" was an earthly coming then there would have been expected a third coming as the final one, because Christ said John 18:36 "..."My kingdom is not of this world. If My kingdom were of this world, then My servants would be fighting so that I would not be handed over to the Jews; but as it is, My kingdom is not of this realm."

We expect a final second coming "not of this world" because: (2 Peter 3:13) “But in keeping with His promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, the home of righteousness.” - (Revelation 21:1)”Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth passed away, and there is no longer any sea.”
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 02:21:16 PM by lpap » Logged

Life is to live the life of others.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: