OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 12:23:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: St Severus and The Armenian Orthodox Church  (Read 1174 times) Average Rating: 0
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« on: May 11, 2005, 06:08:49 AM »

I've recently been reading a great book titled The Council of Chalcedon and The Amrenian Church written by Bishop Karekin Sarkissian (Deam of the Armenian Seminar, Antelias, Lebanon), and have so far found it quite intriguing and insightful. I was however, quite suprised when I skimmed over his Epilogue (I usually do that with any book of this sort before I complete reading it) to find that the Armenian church regards St Severus a heretic.

I know that in the Coptic church he is revered as a great saint - his name coming only second after St Mark the Apostle himself, in the Commemoration of the Saints, so i was wandering whether this view of St Severus as a heretic in Oriental Orthodoxy is only peculiar to the Armenian church, and if so, why? (The book seemed to implicitly suggest that he was a neo-Chalcedonist - but the passage in question is so ambiguous i dont know what to make of it exactly).

Peace.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 06:09:53 AM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 08:49:07 AM »

I recall there being a thread about this same topic earlier this year, you might try searching that out. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 02:01:08 AM »

In mid January 2005, there was a discussion about this.  Fortunately, V.C. Samual in his book Council of Chalcedon Re-Examined, did a better job of researching and explaining the issue than His Holiness Karekin I did.  I gave the relevant pages in both books and a brief summary of what they had to say in the discussion of mid January.  I think you can find it on page 4 of this forum, under the following title: Armenians and St. Severus of Antioch. The last post in that discussion was on January 23, 2005.  Hope this helps.

Tags: St. Severus Armenian Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: