OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 11:19:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: prospective convert question  (Read 1969 times) Average Rating: 0
rosemarie

« on: May 10, 2005, 10:40:21 PM »

I'm having a meeting with the parish priest tomorrow to discuss the "three steps of conversion," as he calls them.  I'm kinda nervous.  I've been reading up on Orthodoxy for a year, but haven't had an in-depth discussion with a priest before.  What should I expect.

Also he said that he only chrismates once a year unless there is a pressing pastoral reason to do otherwise.  What does that mean?  I'm worried about waiting a whole year at this point because my kids have never been baptized.

Rosemarie
Landon77
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Antiochian Western Orthodox in exile)

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 11:16:14 PM »

He doesn't expect you to have a Master of Divinity or anything.  If I were to guess, I would say he will be doing most of the talking and you will nod your head till you have a question.  He might ask a few questions like, "What religion, if any have you been practicing?"  And, "Have you children been baptized?"  And it stays as secreat as if you were telling him this in confession, so don't let anything like that bother you.  Try and forget about how he is dressed and just talk to him like any one else.
   That is what I would tell you.

"How stands your mighty god? My God is stronger than he."  -St. Boniface
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 02:20:52 AM »

I'm having a meeting with the parish priest tomorrow to discuss the "three steps of conversion," as he calls them. I'm kinda nervous. I've been reading up on Orthodoxy for a year, but haven't had an in-depth discussion with a priest before. What should I expect.

Also he said that he only chrismates once a year unless there is a pressing pastoral reason to do otherwise. What does that mean? I'm worried about waiting a whole year at this point because my kids have never been baptized.

Rosemarie

No need to be nervous, he seems like a nice person from what you've said. You'll just get to talk about your faith in Christ, your background, your interest in the Church, what you have read, what you might like to read, etc.

Traditionally, baptism/chrismation happen the week before Pascha. A lot of ppl spend a year or more as a catechuman, one one who has formally announced their desire to become part of the Orthodox faith.  But, some pressing need may take hold earlier than that-- for example, there was a couple at my church that was baptised after only a few weeks, bt that was because the husband was dying of cancer. He died about 3 months after he was baptised, but it  is up the discretion of the priest. Reading and learning about Orthodox is good, but living it is better, so don't worry, you may have been reading for a year, but that's nothing compared to worshipping God every Sunday in the Divine Liturgy. 

And don;t worry abotu your kids-it's not like we believe kids go to hades. 

Qui cantat, bis orat
rosemarie

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 09:53:19 AM »

Thanks so much to both of you.  It's silly to be so nervous.  The priest seems to be an absolutely wonderful person.  I think I'm just scared that he'll reject me as a catechumen.  I've been in the Protestant church all of my life but tortured by a sense of frustration and disappointment.  My first Divine Liturgy was, well, divine.  I felt as though I had finally come home.  I was so moved to finally know with a certainty how we are to worship.
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 10:01:32 AM »

My first Divine Liturgy was, well, divine. I felt as though I had finally come home. I was so moved to finally know with a certainty how we are to worship.

It's amazing how that feeling seems to be so common amongst us ex-Protestant converts. I was exactly the same. sometimes the best response when Protestants argue with us about our faith is to say 'Come to the Liturgy and see for yourself'. If that can't convince them I'm pretty sure my paltry words will have little effect either.

I wish you all the best in your journey to Orthodoxy and will pray that you find your place in the Church.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
QuoVadis

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 08:18:56 PM »

Thanks so much to both of you. It's silly to be so nervous. The priest seems to be an absolutely wonderful person. I think I'm just scared that he'll reject me as a catechumen. I've been in the Protestant church all of my life but tortured by a sense of frustration and disappointment. My first Divine Liturgy was, well, divine. I felt as though I had finally come home. I was so moved to finally know with a certainty how we are to worship.

Amen to you!!! I have a big smile on my face. That's just how I feel all the time, every Sunday when attending Divine Liturgy ... boy, what the Protestants miss out on (and I used to be one of them) :-(

I hope, Rosemarie, the priest is able to answer all your questions and guide you with all help. 
God is good.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 08:20:52 PM by Katherine » Logged

"Without sorrows there is no salvation. On the other hand, the Kingdom of God awaits those who have patiently endured. And all the glory of the world is nothing in comparison." - St Seraphim of Sarov
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 08:40:41 PM »

Rosemarie,

I thnk I know whatyoua re going through....it took me years to finally call up the priest and discuss starting the conversion process. I admire your convictionand courage for starting out inthis way!

Good luck, and please keep in touch with us here!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Zographou

“It is later than you think!”

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2005, 08:36:14 AM »

Rosemarie,

Just wanted to encourage you to hang in there, and don't despair!  God knows our hearts.  Keep on reading and seeking out Orthodoxy!  Read about the lives of the Saints.  What they went through for the Faith is truly incredible and spiritually uplifting!  Check out these websites for more info:

http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/

http://www.westsrbdio.org/prolog/prolog.htm  On this website, just click on the day and month!

Your family will be in my prayers.

Peace,

Seraphim
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: