OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 01:44:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The views of Oriental Orthodoxy on Eastern Orthodoxy  (Read 3094 times) Average Rating: 0
Ntinos
Σαλός
Elder

« on: May 10, 2005, 01:34:40 PM »

Since now it has become clear in my mind what the differences are between Oriental and Eastern Orthodoxy are, I would like to ask our fellow Oriental Orthodox friends a few things:
1) What are the views of Oriental Orthodoxy on Eastern Orthodoxy? Do you recognise the Eastern Orthodox Church as an orthodox Church, and do you believe one can be saved by following the Eastern Orthodox dogma?
2) What are the views of Oriental Orthodoxy on the Roman Catholic Church?

Thank you for any response beforehands.

Ghazar
Armenian Orthodox Christian

"Ghazaros, toors yegoor:" "Lazarus, come forth."

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2005, 06:14:17 PM »

Dear brother Ntinos,

I can't speak for everyone but I can certainly try to answer your questions from all I've read and experienced in my Church:

you asked:
1) What are the views of Oriental Orthodoxy on Eastern Orthodoxy?

reply: We love and respect the Eastern Orthodox as our Orthodox brethren. We believe that despite what has happened in the past, their Church's Christology is Orthodox, although we have never agreed to use their terminology.

2)Do you recognise the Eastern Orthodox Church as an orthodox Church, and do you believe one can be saved by following the Eastern Orthodox dogma?

reply: Yes. Yes.

3) What are the views of Oriental Orthodoxy on the Roman Catholic Church?

reply: Like we do about our brother Orthodox, we believe the Latin Church is also descended from the Apostles and a true Church of Jesus Christ. Our biggest discrepency with them is their teaching on the Papacy. Historically, we have seen the role of the Roman Papacy in a canonical perspective rather than one that is a matter of revealed faith. Hence our difficulties.

If you are interested in more info along these lines, a couple of suggestions I could make are the following:

On background between the Chalcedonian and Non Chalcedonian Churches:
http://www.geocities.com/derghazar/chalcedon.html

On our understanding of Primacy see: Principles of Primacy in the Orthodox Church
http://www.geocities.com/derghazar/tradition.html

Suggested readings:
http://www.geocities.com/derghazar/bibli.html

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2005, 06:18:06 PM by Ghazaros » Logged

Trusting in Christ's Inextinguishable Light,
Rev. Sub-Deacon Ghazaros Der-Ghazarian,
Holy Apostolic Orthodox Church of Armenia, Eastern Diocese USA
The Armenian Orthodox Evangelization Mission: www.looys.net
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong." - Carl Kraeff
Section Moderator
Toumarches

I'm back, Mom...miss Me?

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2005, 10:06:45 PM »

Like we do about our brother Orthodox, we believe the Latin Church is also descended from the Apostles and a true Church of Jesus Christ.

Dear Ghazaros,

I was wondering if you could comment further on this part of your post, as I am not certain what you mean.  I'm not sure if "we" would say the RC's constitute "a true Church of Jesus Christ", but I may be misunderstanding what you're getting at. 

"Best of all, Mor Ephrem won't trap you into having his baby." - dzheremi

"Mor Ephrim will not be allowed in(to the getes of heaven) because God doesnt know him." - Cackles

"You are consistently one of the cruelest posters on this forum." - William
Ghazar
Armenian Orthodox Christian

"Ghazaros, toors yegoor:" "Lazarus, come forth."

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2005, 11:43:37 PM »

Dear Mor Ephrem,

I will certainly try. All I'm saying is that my own Church would regard the Latin Church as maintaining the basic Apostolic faith and therefore is a true Apostolic Church founded by the Apostles and maintaining valid Sacraments. There are some points in their teaching which they have passed down in their own unique Church tradition which is not a part of our own. Therefore we would see them to some extent in error. But the basic saving Gospel of Christ and valid Mysteries are there. Do you think this is incorrect? Again, I'm speaking primarily from my studies on my own Church's relations with the Latins.  Your own Church's relations might be much different.  Perhaps we don't speak with a unified voice on this.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2005, 11:44:51 PM by Ghazaros » Logged

Trusting in Christ's Inextinguishable Light,
Rev. Sub-Deacon Ghazaros Der-Ghazarian,
Holy Apostolic Orthodox Church of Armenia, Eastern Diocese USA
The Armenian Orthodox Evangelization Mission: www.looys.net
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong." - Carl Kraeff
Section Moderator
Toumarches

I'm back, Mom...miss Me?

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2005, 08:46:24 AM »

Dear Mor Ephrem,

I will certainly try.  All I'm saying is that my own Church would regard the Latin Church as maintaining the basic Apostolic faith and therefore is a true Apostolic Church founded by the Apostles and maintaining valid Sacraments.  There are some points in their teaching which they have passed down in their own unique Church tradition which is not a part of our own.  Therefore we would see them to some extent in error.  But the basic saving Gospel of Christ and valid Mysteries are there.  Do you think this is incorrect?  Again, I'm speaking primarily from my studies on my own Church's relations with the Latins. Your own Church's relations might be much different. Perhaps we don't speak with a unified voice on this.

I think our Churches do not have a unified position on this.  I know what my personal feelings are, but they can't be depended on (and they are shifting somewhat, I think), and I'm not sure if the position of the Indian Church would be identical to that above.  It would be interesting to hear what members of the other Churches might say. 

"Best of all, Mor Ephrem won't trap you into having his baby." - dzheremi

"Mor Ephrim will not be allowed in(to the getes of heaven) because God doesnt know him." - Cackles

"You are consistently one of the cruelest posters on this forum." - William
Tags: unity 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: