OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 09:30:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jesus Sells  (Read 1820 times) Average Rating: 0
sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« on: February 02, 2003, 04:36:03 PM »

Here is an article on the Christian schlock industry.

http://www.reason.com/0302/fe.jl.jesus.shtml

Life is just one disappointment after another.
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2003, 05:15:04 PM »

A good read. Thanks. Even though it is from (my guess) some secular humanist magazine that wants to make fun of Christians. What's funny is a lot of these people in these 'Christian' (read: Protestant) businesses would look down on sacramentals including icons as wrong, as though using things in religion were beneath them.

sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2003, 05:40:30 PM »

Serge, Reason is a free market liberterian magazine I believe.

Life is just one disappointment after another.
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2003, 05:50:18 PM »

Good for them! Thanks for checking.

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2003, 01:49:46 PM »

sinjinsmythe -

Interesting article. Just walk into any "Christian" bookstore and it will be immediately confirmed.

Serge -

Somewhat along the lines of Protestant condemnation of icons is their condemnation of the veneration of the saints, especially Mary, against whom they unleash their strongest venom (see Rev. 12:17).

But have you ever noticed how Protestants gush over their own set of "saints"? "Born-again" sports jocks, beauty queens, actors and actresses and the like? People who have barely begun to run the race set before them, let alone have finished and received the crown of glory?

It would be funny, if it was not so sad.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2003, 01:54:28 PM »

Linus7,

I sure have. Remember Columbine? The girl who allegedly said yes when asked ‘do you believe in Jesus?’ before being shot was a Protestant heroine/saint for a while.

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2003, 05:03:29 PM »

Serge -

At least she was something of a martyr. Most of their "saints" only claim to the title is celebrity status.

Another interesting point is this: when I debate Fundamentalists over at www.christianbbs.com , I periodically quote from the early Fathers of the Church, especially St. Ignatius of Antioch, St. Irenaeus, and St. Justin Martyr.

The first response I usually get is, "But that's not Scripture!"

Then some of the same people will turn around and quote 19th-century Baptist preachers like C.H. Spurgeon or 16th-century Protestant Reformers like John Calvin!

In other words, 1st and 2nd century Fathers are out; they were too close to the Apostles!

I have invited those who debate me to produce some evidence of ancient "Protestants." Thus far they have been unable to.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2003, 05:05:04 PM by Linus7 » Logged

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2003, 05:35:13 PM »

Linus7<<I have invited those who debate me to produce some evidence of ancient "Protestants." Thus far they have been unable to.>>

This really had me laughing, Linus!   Smiley   Thanks!

Hypo-Ortho
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2003, 06:42:53 PM »

[Linus7<<I have invited those who debate me to produce some evidence of ancient "Protestants." Thus far they have been unable to.>>]

Perhaps they were also ancient astronauts!

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2003, 08:31:27 PM »

Some of these folks have at various times claimed the Montanists, Bogomils, Paulicians, and Albigensians as spiritual forebears.

When I point out the fact that each of those groups was heretical (most of them were Manichean dualists, except the Montanists, whose leader, Montanus, claimed to be the Holy Spirit incarnate), the silence is deafening.

- Pope St. Hormisdas
Tags: Protestant Christianity 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: