OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 04:55:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Hip-Hop Thread  (Read 17651 times) Average Rating: 0
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #180 on: March 16, 2011, 10:04:58 PM »

My favorite contemporary rapper would have to be Immortal Technique. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T22-lHISxOY

(warning: contains profanity)

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #181 on: March 16, 2011, 10:07:33 PM »

Iconodule, Wikipedia begs to differ.  Tongue

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #182 on: March 16, 2011, 10:58:59 PM »

I like Aesop Rock, Mr Lif, El-P, Atmosphere, and anything produced by DJ Dangermouse.

If we go back to the '90s Wu Tang's Enter the 36 Chambers was probably one of the best albums of the 20th Century, but for the true pioneers in the field we can look no further than OutKast.  Consistent in quality from the get-go, ATLiens and Aquemini changed the game and put Southern rap on the map, then Stankonia raised the bar even higher.  Speakerboxxx/The Love Below is a musical feat without par in the annals of rap music, and Hey Ya was the ONLY good song on rock radio during the abysmal decade that was the 'Noughts.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
sainthieu
Abstractor of the Quintessence
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #183 on: March 16, 2011, 11:36:53 PM »

"(warning: contains profanity)"

With all due respect: Are you kidding?
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #184 on: March 16, 2011, 11:47:34 PM »

That video (I must admit I'm impressed with how he worded his lyrics) reminds me of my one weakness: Rage Against the Machine (the Battle of Los Angeles is one of my favorite CDs).

I don't know if I would count them as hip-hop...they're a weird mix of several genres.

I always try to make sure that I'm not listening to any anti-Christian music, but Rage is that one group that gets through the filter. I don't know why...I like the music too much, especially on a road trip with the top down on the car.

Agh!

ETA: The worst is that I absolutely do NOT agree with their politics. I'm a center-right, libertarian, whatever you want to call it. I basically disagree with almost every word they sing and yet I still listen to them. I don't get it.  Huh
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 11:48:22 PM by IsmiLiora » Logged

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #185 on: March 17, 2011, 09:21:48 AM »

When Immortal Technique came out a handful of years back, his main strength was his freestyle. Probably my favorite track by him is Obnoxious.

Like or not Em, probably the best of the last 15. Had the chance to see that weird white boy coming up. Was at the now infamous Scribblejam where he got taken down. This was just before he blew up.

Most of the heads heard mixtapes with him on it, but to him in person was ridiculous. Juice though pulled off something off the flow that was unimaginable to pwn him or any person on the earth on that day.

The only place Em lacks, is voice.

From my life, touchstones. Obvious ones, cause no matter how we try to protest, the best float to the top:

Grandmaster Flash
Run DMC
Boogie Down Productions
Public Enemy
Geto Boys
Early Ice Cube (Death Certificate remains in terms of production and shear career turn around one of the greatest albums out there)
Dre (for his "production" or at least production supervision)
Kool Keith (toooo much to say about this guy, even back in Eletromagnetic MCs the guy was light years ahead of the game in terms of rhyme structure especially abandoning end rhyme for middle rhyme and assonance. His later work is just mind blowing)
Biggie (his freestyle like Em was also just sick, game changer in terms of syncopation, completely off-beat rhyme at times)
Jay-Z (not a big fan of his stuff, but in terms of freestyle and his early flow, no one could touch the ease with which he could float over any beat. Stupid charisma live.)
Em. (Arguably the best body of work. Greatest breath control ever. From subject matter, play on words, complex rhyme structure freestyle or written, charisma, on and on and on. He's latest stuff is just silly, but a testament to the fact the guy know how to make millions even when mediocre.)

Tons dropped off. All the stuff mentioned above is good. But seriously, when it comes to stuff that heads can listen to and also crossover, these are the best.

All but Kool Keith got what they deserved.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #186 on: January 08, 2013, 04:50:25 PM »

Universities across the nation have offered courses on hip-hop culture for several years, but the University of Arizona has decided to take its program further, adding the subject as as a concentration in its Africana Studies minor program.
Arizona students hoping for an easy minor of just sitting back and listening to Jay-Z probably shouldn’t enroll, Durand said.

The curriculum goes beyond the stereotypical gang and drug cultures to examine the movement’s intersection with politics, marketing, fashion and other academic disciplines.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #187 on: January 08, 2013, 05:11:10 PM »

You guys are delusional if you think Nas and Eminem are the greatest lyricists.

Best rapper of all time--hands down--is Big Pun. He was the total package. Probably the most technically complex rapper of all time with excessive multisyllables, tongue twisters, internal rhyme patterns and a rapid-fire flow that could go over any beat and sound good. He even murked Nas on the song John Blaze. For a man as overweight as Pun was--weighing something like 698lbs at his time of death--he had remarkable breath control and charisma--I can't imagine how good it would be if he weren't as overweight.

He was also socially conscious in many of his songs--contrary to what most people think. Listen to Capital Punishment Medley, Wishful Thinking, his second verse on Boomerang and Parental Discretion (ft. Busta Rhymes).

"It's time
to call a world order where every
girl's your daughter, and priceless
as ices and pearls fresh out the water
I'm gonna get mine, either from crime or
through the Bible, whichever way, it better pay,
I'm feeling suicidal."

-Boomerang
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 05:16:31 PM by JamesR » Logged

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #188 on: January 08, 2013, 06:00:38 PM »

Quote from: orthonorm

Grandmaster Flash
Run DMC
Boogie Down Productions
Public Enemy
Geto Boys
Early Ice Cube (Death Certificate remains in terms of production and shear career turn around one of the greatest albums out there)
Kool Keith (toooo much to say about this guy, even back in Eletromagnetic MCs the guy was light years ahead of the game in terms of rhyme structure especially abandoning end rhyme for middle rhyme and assonance. His later work is just mind blowing)
Biggie (his freestyle like Em was also just sick, game changer in terms of syncopation, completely off-beat rhyme at times)
Jay-Z (not a big fan of his stuff, but in terms of freestyle and his early flow, no one could touch the ease with which he could float over any beat. Stupid charisma live.)
Em. (Arguably the best body of work. Greatest breath control ever. From subject matter, play on words, complex rhyme structure freestyle or written, charisma, on and on and on. He's latest stuff is just silly, but a testament to the fact the guy know how to make millions even when mediocre.)

Tons dropped off. All the stuff mentioned above is good. But seriously, when it comes to stuff that heads can listen to and also crossover, these are the best.

KRS-One.

That is all.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #189 on: January 08, 2013, 08:45:47 PM »

You guys are delusional if you think Nas and Eminem are the greatest lyricists.

Best rapper of all time--hands down--is Big Pun. He was the total package. Probably the most technically complex rapper of all time with excessive multisyllables, tongue twisters, internal rhyme patterns and a rapid-fire flow that could go over any beat and sound good. He even murked Nas on the song John Blaze. For a man as overweight as Pun was--weighing something like 698lbs at his time of death--he had remarkable breath control and charisma--I can't imagine how good it would be if he weren't as overweight.

He was also socially conscious in many of his songs--contrary to what most people think. Listen to Capital Punishment Medley, Wishful Thinking, his second verse on Boomerang and Parental Discretion (ft. Busta Rhymes).

"It's time
to call a world order where every
girl's your daughter, and priceless
as ices and pearls fresh out the water
I'm gonna get mine, either from crime or
through the Bible, whichever way, it better pay,
I'm feeling suicidal."

-Boomerang

Sorry kiddo. Come back around when you have listened to tens of thousands of hours and seen hundreds of hours of live shows.

You are going to have to invent a time machine. I was born into this and lived through it.

Let me know when you find who is better than Em who has enormous crossover. There ain't.

And that was my main point other than listing some touchstones for folks who just want a primer of what is relatively accessible, influential, and has held up and hadn't gotten the proper attention IIRC in the thread.

I mean people bringing up Rage Against the Machine? Or irrelevant "world" rap?

Next time we talk, I'll do RAtM's entire body of work in about 32 seconds. Can do it in about 12, but I do get carried away.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #190 on: January 08, 2013, 08:47:36 PM »

Uh, Master P is one of the most brilliant hip hop artists and entrepreneurs around. Don't you know that he is the reason that people can actually make money in hip hop because he revolutionized the idea of artists recording on their own labels? His song "bout it bout it" from 1996 was a real classic.

Anastasios

James,

Read this.

Don't laugh. I dare you.

But I've probably listened to 'Bout it, 'Bout it 72^8 times though . . .

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

« Reply #191 on: January 08, 2013, 11:31:19 PM »

Let me know when you find who is better than Em who has enormous crossover. There ain't.

What exactly is "crossover"? The ability to appeal to a wider audience? If that's the case, then you got a point because Em can appeal to almost everyone. The only other rapper with an arguably larger crossover than Em was Tupac--however, he lacked the technical skill. Pun is one of the only rappers I could think of with superior technical skill to Em--yet, for the most part, he never fully attained mainstream fame and appeal--admittedly, partially due to his premature death.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

« Reply #192 on: January 08, 2013, 11:38:48 PM »

Uh, Master P is one of the most brilliant hip hop artists and entrepreneurs around. Don't you know that he is the reason that people can actually make money in hip hop because he revolutionized the idea of artists recording on their own labels? His song "bout it bout it" from 1996 was a real classic.

Uh, in a sense the commercialization of hip-hop is probably what killed it. Due to the commercialization, the element of skill and originality has died out in favor of just trying to appeal to the "casual listeners" in hopes of getting more money--and oftentimes, the "casual listeners" do not care about talent or skill at all, but just want something fun that they could bump at the club.

Hence the West Coast (as much as I hate to admit it)'s coming into hip-hop....Death Row Records was probably the worst thing to ever happen to hip-hop. Let's face it, most West Coast artists--no matter how famous they may be such as Snoop and Dre--are pure garbage from a technical level. The only reason they are famous is because they can appeal to pop listeners.

This is why the East Coast will always reign supreme to me. They may not have very much commercial appeal other than Biggie Smalls, but they are still probably some of the most skilled rappers out there. Another good place for true talented hip-hop is the Midwest.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 11:40:57 PM by JamesR » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #193 on: January 09, 2013, 03:42:33 PM »

Back to this threa when I'm of post moderation.

I just picked up the Chess boxset of GZA's Liquid Swords.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #194 on: January 09, 2013, 03:42:56 PM »

Been listening to this too:

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #195 on: January 09, 2013, 03:42:56 PM »

And this:

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #196 on: January 17, 2013, 09:49:25 PM »

You shall never be off post moderation! Mwahahahaha!

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

« Reply #197 on: January 19, 2013, 07:40:46 PM »

So according to my aunt and uncle in a drunken fit of rage, Stevie Wonder had the very first rap song there ever was with his "Master Blaster" and that all of these new rappers are FOS singing their "monkey" (they're somewhat racist) music.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #198 on: July 12, 2013, 07:57:47 PM »

I'm a prophet.

Avdima

Faith: In search of...
Jurisdiction: none

« Reply #199 on: January 03, 2014, 07:50:34 AM »

When Immortal Technique came out a handful of years back, his main strength was his freestyle. Probably my favorite track by him is Obnoxious.

Like or not Em, probably the best of the last 15. Had the chance to see that weird white boy coming up. Was at the now infamous Scribblejam where he got taken down. This was just before he blew up.

Most of the heads heard mixtapes with him on it, but to him in person was ridiculous. Juice though pulled off something off the flow that was unimaginable to pwn him or any person on the earth on that day.

The only place Em lacks, is voice.

From my life, touchstones. Obvious ones, cause no matter how we try to protest, the best float to the top:

Grandmaster Flash
Run DMC
Boogie Down Productions
Public Enemy
Geto Boys

Amen

He is one I always go back to when I get burned out on modern in Hip-Hop and need to listen to something that is dope, artistic and progressive.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #200 on: January 03, 2014, 09:11:58 AM »

I used to know the guys in Forbidden Dialect.  They started making more recent stuff.

(old)  "Rock the horns" :  http://youtu.be/zRJ9cujpgEo

(recent) "Doonie's shoes" : http://youtu.be/wYSL-FZIy_w

(more recent) "Walk with Paris" : http://youtu.be/Xb5THGvWhGA

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #201 on: January 03, 2014, 09:25:52 AM »

AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted last night.

And Wayne's Da Drought 3
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 09:34:11 AM by Shiny » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #202 on: January 15, 2014, 01:15:07 PM »

Kool Keith

I've listened to some Kool Keith off and on over the past 10 years or so. I liked what I heard (I think it was mainly stuff from Doctor Octagon and Black Elvis albums) but for whatever reason I didn't dive full on into it. I haven't heard anyone nearly as surreal. He'll be spitting out stuff that appears to make no sense and then suddenly there's a burst of bizarre coherence. What's your favorite later work of his?

Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #203 on: January 15, 2014, 01:41:40 PM »

I hope Mac Dre has been mentioned somewhere on this thread.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #204 on: January 15, 2014, 02:32:00 PM »

Kool Keith

I've listened to some Kool Keith off and on over the past 10 years or so. I liked what I heard (I think it was mainly stuff from Doctor Octagon and Black Elvis albums) but for whatever reason I didn't dive full on into it. I haven't heard anyone nearly as surreal. He'll be spitting out stuff that appears to make no sense and then suddenly there's a burst of bizarre coherence. What's your favorite later work of his?

Cause I am lame and for reasons likely more personal than defensible Earth People has to be one of the most perfect* tracks ever made. Even everyone I know (they hate rap) digs the production.

*I think on this board perfection can be argued to be scalable.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #205 on: January 15, 2014, 02:33:05 PM »

I'm a prophet.

Werd.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #206 on: January 15, 2014, 07:19:31 PM »

Kool Keith

Cause I am lame and for reasons likely more personal than defensible Earth People has to be one of the most perfect* tracks ever made. Even everyone I know (they hate rap) digs the production.

I have noticed that Kool Keith enjoys a degree of crossover appeal himself, albeit among a weirder set of people than Eminem.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #207 on: January 15, 2014, 09:57:39 PM »

Kool Keith

I have noticed that Kool Keith enjoys a degree of crossover appeal himself, albeit among a weirder set of people than Eminem.

Most "headz"  are white and asian predominantly. Hip-hop will be white people watching old black guys some day, like jazz, just a lot better.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #208 on: January 16, 2014, 09:47:16 AM »

Kool Keith

Most "headz"  are white and asian predominantly. Hip-hop will be white people watching old black guys some day, like jazz, just a lot better.

Heh. What's your problem with jazz anyway?

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #209 on: January 16, 2014, 12:39:45 PM »

The best rap group ever is Die Antwoord. 

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #210 on: January 16, 2014, 01:45:23 PM »

It's not hip-hop, it's barely rap. And it sucks. Looks like art school drop outs who shudda hung around for at least another class involving how to decoupage baby dolls and broken mirrors before trying their hand at whatever it is they do.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #211 on: January 16, 2014, 01:55:02 PM »

Uh, no.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #212 on: January 16, 2014, 01:57:34 PM »

Uh, no.

They do crack me up a little. I think vamrat used to have animated gif as an avatar here of the woman in the band naked or something. It caused me a seizure or two.

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

« Reply #213 on: January 16, 2014, 04:22:05 PM »

If Detox ever comes out is it going to live up to all the hype built around it? I can't help but think that Dre has waited too long as most of the people old enough to remember the West Coast's dominance period have grown up and moved on now. I'd bet my bottom dollar that most people who purchase the album--provided it comes out--will be crossover Em fans who only know of Dre as the guy who produced Em, and perhaps the occasional older guy in California who will listen to it once then throw it away.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #214 on: January 16, 2014, 04:32:49 PM »

You all just have no zef.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #215 on: January 16, 2014, 04:36:03 PM »

If Detox ever comes out is it going to live up to all the hype built around it?

No. It will be rap's Chinese Democracy.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #216 on: January 16, 2014, 04:36:54 PM »

You all just have no zef.

I recently had a recurrence of night terrors I used to have as a child. I was just getting over them. Thanks.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #217 on: January 16, 2014, 04:56:59 PM »

I am helping you get through this.  You need to confront your nightmares and come out on the other side reborn.  You must transform like Watkins Jones did into DJ Ninja.  Like Anri du Toit who was reborn as Yolandi Vi$$er.  You will face these fears and when you have, you too will be reborn, only Zef-er.

You will be

DJ Ortho-tech.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #218 on: February 03, 2014, 05:06:33 PM »

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: