Author Topic: Big churches, big bucks: Southern senior pastors take top salaries  (Read 1484 times)

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
Big churches, big bucks: Southern senior pastors take top salaries
« on: September 10, 2014, 09:54:58 AM »
(RNS) Large churches in the South tend to pay their senior pastors the highest salaries, a new survey finds.
Warren Bird, research director at Leadership Network, said pastors have long held a lofty place of authority in the South, and that may be why they are paid more in that region.

Northeastern churches are the second-highest paying, followed by the West and the Midwest. The lowest-paying region in North America is Canada.

The higher pastor salaries in the South contrast with lower-than-average wages for the region.
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
Re: Big churches, big bucks: Southern senior pastors take top salaries
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 10:32:51 AM »
(RNS) Large churches in the South tend to pay their senior pastors the highest salaries, a new survey finds.
Warren Bird, research director at Leadership Network, said pastors have long held a lofty place of authority in the South, and that may be why they are paid more in that region.

Northeastern churches are the second-highest paying, followed by the West and the Midwest. The lowest-paying region in North America is Canada.

The higher pastor salaries in the South contrast with lower-than-average wages for the region.

There are a lot of Slavic Orthodox and Eastern Catholic churches in Canada, no doubt they skew the statistics downward!  ;D

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 10:56:11 AM »

There are a lot of Slavic Orthodox and Eastern Catholic churches in Canada, no doubt they skew the statistics downward!  ;D

unless you all are hiding the Mega-Parishes somewhere.....I would hazard a guess that almost NO EO, OO and Eastern Catholics even got to answer this survey....

'That’s one of the conclusions on churches and finances released Tuesday (Sept. 9) by Leadership Network, a Dallas-based church think tank, and the Vanderbloemen Search Group, a Houston-based executive search firm for churches and ministries. A total of 727 North American churches with attendance ranging from 1,000 to more than 30,000 answered questions, more than double the number of congregations featured in previous studies.'

All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 11:11:31 AM »

unless you all are hiding the Mega-Parishes somewhere.....I would hazard a guess that almost NO EO, OO and Eastern Catholics even got to answer this survey....

'That’s one of the conclusions on churches and finances released Tuesday (Sept. 9) by Leadership Network, a Dallas-based church think tank, and the Vanderbloemen Search Group, a Houston-based executive search firm for churches and ministries. A total of 727 North American churches with attendance ranging from 1,000 to more than 30,000 answered questions, more than double the number of congregations featured in previous studies.'

I'm joking, I'm joking...it's a 'pk' thing..... ;)

Offline genesisone

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 03:19:14 PM »
Unless I'm missing it somehow, what I read doesn't seem to go beyond just what dollars are transferred into the pastors' personal accounts. I'd like to know if it takes into account such things as housing and travel allowances, health care benefits, maternity leaves (useful for the wives of our younger priests!), etc. That Canada is the lowest paid region doesn't particularly surprise me. Our broader social net already provides for health care and maternity leaves, unlike the US. Allowances may likewise be treated differently when it comes to reporting them as income for taxation purposes. I don't know if that's the case or not, just speculating. In any case, the referenced article isn't helpful in describing these issues.

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
  • A pulling horse cannot kick.
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 11:44:15 PM »
TD Jakes (Potter's house) fly's around in a private Gulf Stream V.

His church is HUGE in Dallas.  Parking lot nearly like a theme park.  They have to have those theme park style carts to bring people from the parking lot to the church.  (golf carts as well)

Some churches here have acrylic fish tank hallways where it looks like an aquarium tour.  You go down a hallway with fish all around.  Another has a HUGE fish tank wall....   Another pastor has flocks of swans in his pond.
I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 11:57:32 PM »
“No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money."

Who said this quote? A carpenter from Galilee or a radical Marxist revolutionary? :P

Who wants to take a guess?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 11:58:12 PM by xOrthodox4Christx »
I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 11:58:37 PM »
TD Jakes (Potter's house) fly's around in a private Gulf Stream V.

His church is HUGE in Dallas.  Parking lot nearly like a theme park.  They have to have those theme park style carts to bring people from the parking lot to the church.  (golf carts as well)

Some churches here have acrylic fish tank hallways where it looks like an aquarium tour.  You go down a hallway with fish all around.  Another has a HUGE fish tank wall....   Another pastor has flocks of swans in his pond.

And each swan costs at least $2000 or more!
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.