OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 04:03:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Philokalia  (Read 1068 times) Average Rating: 0
Sir Sundae

« on: May 08, 2005, 07:19:39 PM »

Greetings in Christ,

Okay, I have heard it said that one should not read the Philokalia without a spiritual guide. Well, I'm not Orthodox, I don't have a spiritual guide/father, but I do own and read a copy of Volume I of the Philokalia. Am I in serious error here? I find the writings contained in the Philokalia to be very edifying. It provides practical insights that I can integrate into my day-to-day living... But I don't want to be getting into something that's too spiritually deep for someone.

Thanks,

Chuck
« Last Edit: May 08, 2005, 07:20:13 PM by Sir Sundae » Logged

Elder Paisios of the Holy Mountain:

"Let us not expect the spiritual spring if we don't first pass through the spiritual winter during which the spiritual vermin die.  We mustn't expect the divine to blossom within us if the human hasn't first died."
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 08:24:13 PM »

I think the major problem is in trying to go beyond your limits. People warn not to read the Philokalia, but the same could just as easily be said about the Sayings of the Desert Fathers, or even the Scripture. The point is that there is tough stuff in there, and left to our own devices we might misunderstand or misapply these things. What you could try is to talk to some Orthodox people you know online, and try to locate a priest that you can contact and ask advice from. If you're interested I can PM you the name of a priest or two that I have a lot of respect for, pastorally speaking.

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Sir Sundae

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 08:36:24 PM »

Quote from: Paradosis
I think the major problem is in trying to go beyond your limits. People warn not to read the Philokalia, but the same could just as easily be said about the Sayings of the Desert Fathers, or even the Scripture. The point is that there is tough stuff in there, and left to our own devices we might misunderstand or misapply these things.

That makes alot of sense. We need humility when we read this stuff. That definitely clears up the issue a bit.

Quote from: Paradosis
If you're interested I can PM you the name of a priest or two that I have a lot of respect for, pastorally speaking.

That would be a great help Paradosis. Feel free to PM me anytime.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2005, 08:43:57 PM by Sir Sundae » Logged

Elder Paisios of the Holy Mountain:

"Let us not expect the spiritual spring if we don't first pass through the spiritual winter during which the spiritual vermin die.  We mustn't expect the divine to blossom within us if the human hasn't first died."
Tags: Philokalia 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: