Author Topic: Reformed Episcopal Church  (Read 4143 times)

Offline DennyB

• Moving Toward Orthodoxy
Reformed Episcopal Church
« on: September 08, 2014, 08:49:29 PM »
I have a friend that is a priest in the Reformed Episcopal Church, and was wanting to know if there is any ecumenical dialogue going on between them and any of the Orthodox Churches? Thanks

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
Re: Reformed Episcopal Church
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 12:42:25 AM »
Who are the Reformed Episcopal Church? I've never heard of them.
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 12:53:26 AM »

A quick search brought up these:

http://www.recus.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reformed_Episcopal_Church
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Foolishness to the Greeks
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 01:07:02 AM »
An Anglican schism born in the 19th century when some folks thought the Oxford movement was making things too Catholicky.

Now they're part of the coalition that forms the ACNA, the ECUSA' and ACCs sorta-not-really rival in North America that's in communion with some of the more conservative members of the Anglican communion.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline Tallitot

• Archon
    • USCJ
  • Faith: Jewish(Conservative)
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 01:39:15 AM »
IIRC one of the issues that aused them to schism was a difference over baptismal regeneration.
Proverbs 22:7

Offline DennyB

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 05:02:06 AM »
I had a conversation with him several years ago when, I was beginning to look toward the Orthodox Church. He could not find disagreement with any doctrine, His only criticism of Orthodoxy was that most churches were too ethnically biased. I'm not sure I understand His choice of seminaries though, I'm referring here to Dallas Theological, which is known for its dispensational bias.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 05:07:13 AM by DennyB »

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 01:13:34 AM »
"He could not find disagreement with any doctrine, His only criticism of Orthodoxy was that most churches were too ethnically biased."

Did/does he know about Western Rite parishes? None of them (in the US at least) are ethnically based, as they are composed almost entirely of converts from Catholicism and Anglicanism. I think it's neat that he didn't disagree with any Orthodox doctrines, given the origin of the denomination he's in. (Maybe he's just part of that denomination because his parents were, or because the "mainstream" Anglicans have gone off the deep end in the last few decades)? If you're still in contact with him, perhaps you could refer him to the Antiochian Archdiocese. They've received several Anglican parishes into Orthodoxy as WR.

And if he worries that the Antiochians won't accept him because he isn't Lebanese, never fear. Over three-quarters of their clergy are converts.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 01:14:23 AM by Minnesotan »
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline Agabus

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 09:31:55 AM »
"He could not find disagreement with any doctrine, His only criticism of Orthodoxy was that most churches were too ethnically biased."

Did/does he know about Western Rite parishes? None of them (in the US at least) are ethnically based, as they are composed almost entirely of converts from Catholicism and Anglicanism.
So they're Anglo?

;)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 09:32:15 AM by Agabus »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

Offline FormerReformer

• Convertodox of the convertodox
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
    • Music and Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Convertodox
  • Jurisdiction: Netodoxy
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 03:50:13 PM »

Did/does he know about Western Rite parishes? None of them (in the US at least) are ethnically based, as they are composed almost entirely of converts from Catholicism and Anglicanism.
So they're Anglo?

;)

Not entirely - there's a few number of Hispanic Western Rite parishes, too.

To the OP - as part of the ACNA, the Reformed Episcopal Church is supposed to be in ecumenical dialogue with the OCA. Given that this was the former Metropolitan Jonah's baby, though, and it's been a few years since I've attended an OCA parish (and thus paid any attention to their announcements, etc) I don't know if the OCA is currently pursuing said dialogue.
"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 05:06:33 PM »
"So they're Anglo?"

Haha, good point.

What I meant when I said non-ethnically based would be they would tend to reflect the demographics of the areas in which they are found, and are not "diaspora" churches. A WR church in much of the Southwest would be heavily Hispanic, one in the inner city would be racially mixed with a lot of black parishioners, etc.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 05:06:50 PM by Minnesotan »
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline Agabus

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 05:16:17 PM »
Not entirely - there's a few number of Hispanic Western Rite parishes, too.
New response posted here to keep this thread from straying too far.

Offline DennyB

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 10:36:59 PM »
He has made several steps in the right direction. He started out Baptist, then moved into the Presbyterian Church, so maybe as He continues to look at Church History with an open mind, He would probably make the next step. He does listen to Ancient Faith Radio, so that is a positive.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 11:54:05 PM »

Certain style of church building,congregational seating,Reformed teachings,Choir, etc Plus Gospel preaching.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 11:54:39 PM by WPM »
The Sign and Prayers to the Blessed Virgin Mary

Offline Agabus

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 02:25:21 PM »
He has made several steps in the right direction. He started out Baptist, then moved into the Presbyterian Church, so maybe as He continues to look at Church History with an open mind, He would probably make the next step. He does listen to Ancient Faith Radio, so that is a positive.
FWIW, the priest at the OCA mission in Shreveport spent a couple years as a deacon in the REC before converting to Orthodoxy.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to FOCOF
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 02:52:02 PM »
FWIW, the priest at the OCA mission in Shreveport spent a couple years as a deacon in the REC before converting to Orthodoxy.

He's a good man.