OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 01:55:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming Computer Strategy Games  (Read 2672 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« on: May 07, 2005, 11:37:14 PM »

Just out of curiosity, is anyone else eagerly awaiting Ages of Empires 3, Civilization 4, or another computer strategy game that will probably be coming out in the next 12 months?

Problem: John finds a spider under his bed. John eats the spider. John gets sick to his stomach.

Question: Why did John get sick?
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 11:42:47 PM »

Civ 4!!!

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 01:16:00 AM »

Just out of curiosity, is anyone else eagerly awaiting Ages of Empires 3, Civilization 4, or another computer strategy game that will probably be coming out in the next 12 months?

Nah, only if a Baldur's Gate III or something similar comes out.  I like party-based, not army-based.

Although, the fact that the Byzantine Monks in AoEII were the most powerful "religion folk" rocked!
SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005, 02:52:18 AM »

Does anyone here follow the old school and have a thing for old-fashioned (and new) adventure games?  Sam and Max, anybody?

In IC XC
Samer
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2005, 04:16:14 AM »

Used to really like playing them, not so much anymore.

I'm with Samer and enjoy the classics.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2005, 11:40:25 AM »

Civ4 is the one I'm most looking forward to as well Smiley  I also like older games though, I still have emulated games (Golden Eye, Perfect Dark, etc.) and even really old nintendo games (Dragon Warrior 3 and the like) on my computer.

Problem: John finds a spider under his bed. John eats the spider. John gets sick to his stomach.

FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 09:31:30 PM »

Civ4 is my big deal. I have intentionally had to give up playing up not only for Great Lent but also so I can complete some schoolwork.

I have also been playing Rome:Total War. The battle creation stage is great to get bizarre concoctions (my sons' favorite is an all-elephant battle).

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Landon77
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA (Antiochian Western Orthodox in exile)

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2005, 09:51:33 PM »

The new Stronghold is what I'm waiting for- unless it is already out...   Afro
« Last Edit: May 09, 2005, 09:53:25 PM by Landon77 » Logged

"How stands your mighty god? My God is stronger than he."  -St. Boniface
Pavlos

OrthodoxChristianity.net

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2005, 04:36:33 PM »

Definitly Civ4!!
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2005, 05:28:58 PM »

We have Age of Empires II and are looking forward to III. Our 2 older children play it, too amd we have it set up so that 2 people can play against each other on the 2 machines. We also do World of Warcraft, a massive multi-player on-line game and still have the Asheron's Call accounts.

We also do non-computer games like Uno and Go and Othello and Rail Baron/British Rail and Monopoly with the children.  A couple of months ago, my daughter (9) annouced "I want to learn how to play Polker!!"  Just what we need.... a junior league card-sharp.   Wink

Ebor

« Last Edit: May 12, 2005, 05:29:56 PM by Ebor » Logged

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2005, 01:39:06 AM »

Ok, first the "good" news. Both Age of Empires 3 and Civilization 4 have been released. And now the bad news... according to the reviews I've been reading, they rushed Civ4 out the door so it could be on the shelves for the holiday season, and thus is completely buggy. More good news though (if anyone cares), Dragon Quest 8 just got released on the Playstation  2, among a number of other good games.

FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2005, 01:48:02 AM »

Actually, I've played Civ 4 and have it on my computer at school. I would not say it was 'completely buggy'; in fact it is a really enjoyable game. A lot of interesting features have been added; my greatest complaint is that it seems much too hard to conquer an opponent's cities!

However, I have not had the opportunity to play it as much as perhaps the professional reviewers do. Also, I had to find a new video card to get the game to play, but this was because my old card was itself pretty primitive.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2005, 01:50:39 AM »

I should probably buy it and see for myself.. most of the negative reviews that I'm speaking of are from private owners, so maybe it's just technology issues on their end. I'm glad that it's enjoyable, I wouldn't know what to do with myself if a Civ game came out that I didn't like  Grin 

Meekle
Elder

Meekle of Rohan, Dunadan Bard of the Riddermark

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2005, 02:07:24 AM »

The new Stronghold is what I'm waiting for- unless it is already out...  ÃƒÆ’‚ Afro

You mean Stronghold 2? Or is there a newer one? Nice smiley lol
Bizzlebin
Theologian
High Elder

Faith: Orthodoxy

MonkBot, Go Forth!

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2005, 05:00:47 PM »

Civ4 is the one I'm most looking forward to as well SmileyÂÂ  I also like older games though, I still have emulated games (Golden Eye, Perfect Dark, etc.) and even really old nintendo games (Dragon Warrior 3 and the like) on my computer.

Why emulate them? I still use my N64 all the time, especially for Perfect Dark Smiley

Fashions and opinions among men may change, but the Orthodox tradition remains ever the same, no matter how few may follow it.

-- Fr. Seraphim Rose
Landon77
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA (Antiochian Western Orthodox in exile)

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2005, 05:42:51 PM »

You mean Stronghold 2? Or is there a newer one? Nice smiley lol

Stronghold 2- It's out now, but I haven't got around to plaing it yet, and I'm afraid I many never get around to playing it...  But if you do, let me know if it is good.

"How stands your mighty god? My God is stronger than he."  -St. Boniface
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2005, 11:16:03 PM »

Well, since I asked for Civ4 as a gift from someone, I decided to go ahead and get AOE3 today.So far, I like it less than AOE2, though I guess that is to be expected as I considered AOE2 to be absolutely fantastic, and this game is quite different in some major ways. That being said, I get the feeling that this game will have longer single player replay value, as AOE2 eventually came down to perfecting a certain build or strategy or two and then falling into the same general patterns in game after game (I can still remember how exciting it was to see the Smush for the first time... a new strategy!? Great!). The chance to play as the Russians is also cool! Grin (though obviously the game developer's statements about Russia in the history section have a distinctly western bias... until of course good ole Peter starts westernizing, then Russia gets better Wink  Roll Eyes )

Regarding emulation, while it does lose a lot of the nostalgia factor playing it on a PC, I like using them mainly for three reasons. First, because you can pause and save any game at any moment in time, which is not something you can do on consoles. Second, you can keep a window open with a game being played, and still do other stuff, like surf online or download something (I have been doing this lately as I surfed sites looking at Christmas stuff, I play Dragon Warrior 4 in a small window and go back and forth between the game and reading something). And third, playing the games on their original consoles will wear them down and eventually make the games unplayable. So if it's just me playing and there is no need for multiplayer, it's just seems better to use the emulator.

Meekle
Elder

Meekle of Rohan, Dunadan Bard of the Riddermark

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2005, 02:57:18 AM »

Stronghold 2- It's out now, but I haven't got around to plaing it yet, and I'm afraid I many never get around to playing it...ÂÂ  But if you do, let me know if it is good.

I can't give a comparison to the first, but yes, I have the second. It is a fun game, though the way I play scares some people (i.e. make a map, fill entire map with pitch, put a few enemy encampments, light the pitch...), it is a good medieval simulation.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2005, 01:53:24 AM »

Age 3 said that I didn't have adequate graphics (though I do have a 64mb graphics card, I don't know whether it supports htl), but the game has worked fine for the most part. The only major problem is that naval battles causes things to slow down to the point where the game is unplayable. So... I guess I have to stick with land battles until I better hardware.

Dragon Quest 8 for the Play Station 2 is absolutely fantastic. I guess 4 million Japanese really can't be wrongÂÂ  Grin I am now about 27 hours into the game, and haven't enjoyed a gaming experience this much in a very long time.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 01:54:03 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2005, 03:22:52 AM »

I am looking forward to AOE 3, but my computer isn't... it's time to upgrade the processor on this hunk of junk (6 1/2 years old and still kickin')... Meanwhile, I would be more looking forward to Civ 4, except I just got used to Civ 3 (I only started playing a few months ago).

I do prefer the consoles to the emulators, though... it seems every time my buddies and I get together, we end up playing NBA hangtime, or Goldeneye or World is Not Enough on the n64...  and it never gets old!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2005, 11:42:01 AM »

it seems every time my buddies and I get together, we end up playing NBA hangtime, or Goldeneye or World is Not Enough on the n64...  and it never gets old

Cool Smiley I remember many long hours playing Goldeneye, TWINE, and Perfect Dark multiplayer with friends. In fact, wanting to play another Perfect Dark is almost enough to make me want to get an XBOX360. Almost...

Bizzlebin
Theologian
High Elder

MonkBot, Go Forth!

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2005, 04:37:30 PM »

Cool Smiley I remember many long hours playing Goldeneye, TWINE, and Perfect Dark multiplayer with friends. In fact, wanting to play another Perfect Dark is almost enough to make me want to get an XBOX360. Almost...

Hehe, I had some multiplayer matches in Pefect Dark just last month Smiley

But yes, the new Perfect Dark Zero looks exciting, and if I do decide to get a 360, it will have been the deciding factor. But I am still hooked on the original, and am not sure if I really want to shell out all that cash. (And to top things off, the old consoles are SO MUCH MORE stable than the CD-based systems, for whatever reason. That makes the real price of the 360 even higher...)

Fashions and opinions among men may change, but the Orthodox tradition remains ever the same, no matter how few may follow it.

-- Fr. Seraphim Rose
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2006, 02:00:52 AM »

I just read about a new game by Will Wright coming out later this year, titled Spore. If this game lives up to it's potential, it could be one of the best games of the decade! Smiley There is also some video giving more information.

Bizzlebin
Theologian
High Elder

MonkBot, Go Forth!

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2006, 02:57:24 AM »

I just read about a new game by Will Wright coming out later this year, titled Spore. If this game lives up to it's potential, it could be one of the best games of the decade! Smiley There is also some video giving more information.

That does indeed sound interesting! Reminds me of SimEarth, but I know it will blow the former game away!

-- Fr. Seraphim Rose
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: