Author Topic: Transfer of the feast if the Natvity of the Theotokos  (Read 25584 times)

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
Transfer of the feast if the Natvity of the Theotokos
« on: September 07, 2014, 01:48:07 PM »
For those of you on the New Calendar where the feast if the nativity of the Theotokos is tomorrow, did any parishes transfer the feast to today?  There was an option n the liturgical guide from antochian.org to do precisely that.  I'm just curious if any parishes did this, antiochian and others.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Hatred is learned behaviour.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Re: Transfer of the feast if the Natvity of the Theotokos
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 02:08:00 PM »
Our (Antiochian) parish never does that, for this or any other feast. We've celebrated up to six days late, but never even a single day early.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 02:18:39 PM »
Our (Antiochian) parish never does that, for this or any other feast. We've celebrated up to six days late, but never even a single day early.

There are some rules about the transfer of some feasts notably Annunciation if it should fall in Holy Week or on Pascha, but that's more of an issue withhold calendar jurisdictions.  But, if you celebrate a feast late, are you still not transferring it?

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 02:24:01 PM »

There are some rules about the transfer of some feasts notably Annunciation if it should fall in Holy Week or on Pascha, but that's more of an issue withhold calendar jurisdictions.  But, if you celebrate a feast late, are you still not transferring it?

Yes, but transferring forwards, rather than anticipating, has fewer chances to mess up fast days.

On the particular occasion, we will be having DL tomorrow. If it were the Dormition, we would transfer to the next Sunday. Probably having to do with practical considerations, like expected attendance.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 07:23:28 PM »
My understanding and long observation is that if feasts are to be transferred, they are celebrated on a later date, never on an earlier date than the actual feast day. The most common form of transfer is to the coming weekend if the feast falls on a weekday.
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline lovesupreme

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 07:26:01 PM »
We celebrated the feast today. Antiochian.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 08:06:50 PM »
I'm in the GOA. Today we commemorated Sts. Sozon and Kassiani.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Online Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 10:56:21 PM »
My understanding and long observation is that if feasts are to be transferred, they are celebrated on a later date, never on an earlier date than the actual feast day. The most common form of transfer is to the coming weekend if the feast falls on a weekday.

You probably couldn't do it this way this year with the 8 September feast. 
How this relates to the coming Antichrist? I don't know...

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 11:44:11 PM »

You probably couldn't do it this way this year with the 8 September feast. 
Yes, it is common enough here (in the US) for a Monday feast to be celebrated Sunday (when nearly everyone is off of work). Had Labor Day come this week, i.e. tommorrow, though, the Feast would have been celebrated tomorrow.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 09:39:39 AM »
Today I was at the Liturgy of the feast. Nothing was transferred, and I think it's not the practice of the Polish Orthodox Church, except the cases given by typikon (e.g the previous year feast of st. George according to the new calendar).

And I think it shouldn't be transferred, as in Orthodoxy we have post-festal days, with almost the same content - so if some people can't come, they will enjoy the message of the feast later. And I think that nowadays parishes should adopt the hours of the Liturgies that it would be more suitable for the parishioners - e.g Liturgy at 6 in the morning in the place of 9 AM.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 12:17:02 PM »
Today I was at the Liturgy of the feast. Nothing was transferred, and I think it's not the practice of the Polish Orthodox Church, except the cases given by typikon (e.g the previous year feast of st. George according to the new calendar).

And I think it shouldn't be transferred, as in Orthodoxy we have post-festal days, with almost the same content - so if some people can't come, they will enjoy the message of the feast later.

I alluded to this above: the post-festal period for this feast (8-12 Sept) does not extend into the weekend this year, and Sunday is the feast of the Cross.  Unless you keep the feast on its actual day, I don't see any way to make it more convenient for people in parishes unless you transfer it to 7 September.  And while I like keeping the feasts on their proper dates, I don't think transferring this feast to the 7th is so bad.   

And I think that nowadays parishes should adopt the hours of the Liturgies that it would be more suitable for the parishioners - e.g Liturgy at 6 in the morning in the place of 9 AM.

Ugh.  I'd rather have a Vigil the night before, with Liturgy immediately following Matins.  I'm not a morning person.  :)

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 12:36:35 PM »

And I think it shouldn't be transferred, as in Orthodoxy we have post-festal days, with almost the same content - so if some people can't come, they will enjoy the message of the feast later.

I alluded to this above: the post-festal period for this feast (8-12 Sept) does not extend into the weekend this year, and Sunday is the feast of the Cross.  Unless you keep the feast on its actual day, I don't see any way to make it more convenient for people in parishes unless you transfer it to 7 September.  And while I like keeping the feasts on their proper dates, I don't think transferring this feast to the 7th is so bad.   

And I think that nowadays parishes should adopt the hours of the Liturgies that it would be more suitable for the parishioners - e.g Liturgy at 6 in the morning in the place of 9 AM.

Ugh.  I'd rather have a Vigil the night before, with Liturgy immediately following Matins.  I'm not a morning person.  :)

and staying out that late -still- means those who work the next day can't go...

so there is sometimes no actual good way of doing it that allows the majority to attend.....
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 12:56:36 PM »
"NVM" (duplicate)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 12:57:56 PM by Mor Ephrem »

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 12:57:21 PM »
and staying out that late -still- means those who work the next day can't go...

so there is sometimes no actual good way of doing it that allows the majority to attend.....

Though I am not a morning person, I prefer Liturgy in the morning.  But I've never seen a weekday morning Liturgy, no matter how early or late, as well attended as a Vigil/Liturgy or Vesperal Liturgy the evening/night before.  But in both cases, the attendance doesn't approach Sunday morning's congregation, even when the day is a holiday (e.g., Labor Day).  How much of this problem is really about the inconvenience caused to those who work and how much is really about the inconvenience caused by worship?  In more than ten years of observation, I'm not convinced it is all about "reasons worthy of a blessing".   

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 12:59:25 PM »
Fair enough...

I am just saying that moving it to the night before sometimes doesn't help a larger number of folks.

I can only speak for myself, in that I -would- try to attend more weekday Liturgies and Feasts...but then I would end up with no job. 
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Yurysprudentsiya

• Private Fora
  • Archon
  • God, the Great, the Only, Keep for Us Our Ukraine!
  • Jurisdiction: OCA, with a love for the UOC-USA
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2014, 01:05:01 PM »
We celebrated Great Vespers with Litiya last night at 7 PM, with a Divine Liturgy this morning at 8 AM.

Instruction after Divine Liturgy yesterday morning:  "Try to make at least one of them."  That's the usual.

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2014, 01:11:02 PM »
We celebrated Great Vespers with Litiya last night at 7 PM, with a Divine Liturgy this morning at 8 AM.

Instruction after Divine Liturgy yesterday morning:  "Try to make at least one of them."  That's the usual.

I've never heard this actually recommended by a priest, but it's my personal rule of thumb in less than ideal situations. 

Offline gzt

• Skeptical Science
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2014, 02:55:15 PM »

I thought the Annunciation never moves, not even on Pascha. There are extensive rubrics for how to do Annunciation on every day of Holy Week, including Pascha (which makes it "Kyriopascha"). Please correct me if I am wrong.

Offline Deacon Lance

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Byzantine Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2014, 04:10:11 PM »
Slavs don't move it, which is the older practice.  Greeks move it to avoid the complications.  That started with Violakis, I think.
My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.

Offline Yurysprudentsiya

• Private Fora
  • Archon
  • God, the Great, the Only, Keep for Us Our Ukraine!
  • Jurisdiction: OCA, with a love for the UOC-USA
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2014, 05:04:55 PM »

I've never heard this actually recommended by a priest, but it's my personal rule of thumb in less than ideal situations. 

I have heard this in sermons / announcements on more than one occasion.  "This is a Great Feast, so you should try to make at least one of the services we are having in connection with it."

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2014, 05:15:06 PM »

I thought the Annunciation never moves, not even on Pascha. There are extensive rubrics for how to do Annunciation on every day of Holy Week, including Pascha (which makes it "Kyriopascha"). Please correct me if I am wrong.

THere's a note about this in the Festal Menaion.  I'll look when I get home. I don't know if it's Slav use or Greek use or both.  Stay tuned.

Offline Georgii

• Elder
  • Holy Martyr Afra, pray to God for us!
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR, German episcopate
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2014, 03:36:57 AM »

There are some rules about the transfer of some feasts notably Annunciation if it should fall in Holy Week or on Pascha, but that's more of an issue withhold calendar jurisdictions.  But, if you celebrate a feast late, are you still not transferring it?

THere's a note about this in the Festal Menaion.  I'll look when I get home. I don't know if it's Slav use or Greek use or both.  Stay tuned.

Thanks but no thanks.~Arachne
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 05:50:58 AM by Arachne »
my garment accuses me, for it is not a wedding garment

Offline Georgii

• Elder
  • Holy Martyr Afra, pray to God for us!
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR, German episcopate
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2014, 05:26:52 AM »
Sorry, the previous post was made by my son using my account. It won't happen again.
my garment accuses me, for it is not a wedding garment

Offline scamandrius

• Merarches
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2014, 09:40:02 AM »

THere's a note about this in the Festal Menaion.  I'll look when I get home. I don't know if it's Slav use or Greek use or both.  Stay tuned.

I checked the Festal Menaion and there is a footnote that says in the "modern Greek practice" by which he means, I'm sure, the revisions made by Violakis, the feast of Annunciation is transferred whenever it coincides with Holy Friday, Holy Saturday or Pascha.  But, Metropolitan KALLISTOS also states that since the adoption of the Revised Calendar in the 1920s by many Orthodox churches, this is very unlikely to happen.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Merarches
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2014, 09:42:38 AM »

I checked the Festal Menaion and there is a footnote that says in the "modern Greek practice" by which he means, I'm sure, the revisions made by Violakis, the feast of Annunciation is transferred whenever it coincides with Holy Friday, Holy Saturday or Pascha.  But, Metropolitan KALLISTOS also states that since the adoption of the Revised Calendar in the 1920s by many Orthodox churches, this is very unlikely to happen.

Practically impossible, seeing as those 13 days would bring the earliest possible date of Pascha into April.

Offline katherine 2001

• High Elder
  • Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2014, 08:34:32 PM »
My parish is OCA and we celebrated it on Monday, September 8.  We don't move feasts to a Sunday if they are on Monday.  We had Vespers Sunday night and then the liturgy yesterday morning.