Author Topic: Ebola Could Spread To U.S. By End Of Month  (Read 17799 times)

Offline Adela

• OC.net guru
Re: Ebola Could Spread To U.S. By End Of Month
« Reply #225 on: October 16, 2014, 04:58:45 PM »
This is odd, it says she wasn't exhibiting typical symptoms so might have been contagious last Friday
CDC Says Ebola Patient May Have Been Contagious Earlier
http://www.cleveland.com/akron/index.ssf/2014/10/ebola_patient_amber_joy_vinson.html#incart_maj-story-1

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #226 on: October 16, 2014, 04:59:47 PM »
If we shoot all the sick people, we'll only have healthy people left.  

If you shoot people, then blood and guts will be flying all over the place contaminating more folks.
Not a good solution, Mor.

I'm not surprised that you thought this was a serious suggestion. 

You forgot your smilie.

::)

No, I didn't.
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Jonathan Gress

• Taxiarches
« Reply #227 on: October 16, 2014, 05:08:29 PM »

If you shoot people, then blood and guts will be flying all over the place contaminating more folks.

You forgot your smilie.

No, I didn't.

And I thought Maria's response was meant as a joke. I guess I should have known better?

Offline Rambam

• High Elder
  • Send lawyers, guns, and money
« Reply #228 on: October 16, 2014, 05:19:08 PM »
Peter: What's wrong with hysteria? Hysteria hasn't gotten anybody killed yet. And hysteria might just have some good consequences, like preparedness.

The CDC report I linked to earlier projects 1.4 million Ebola cases by January. In the face of that, I'll take hysteria over Pollyannism, thank you very much. If there's one lesson I've learned, its that you don't head into the mouth of hell without lawyers, guns, and money. (And lots of water and canned food.)

The bottom line as I see it is that 1) the government is lying to us or the government is simply (and utterly and inconceivably) incompetent so 2) if I'm not going to die, it's going to be up to me and not Dr. Friedan or whoever.

Anyway, what makes you think hysteria is any worse than this Pollyanna attitude demonstrated by people who have been tasked to protect us? Maybe you don't think that, but it's hard to tell.

Yeah, apparently it's also protocol to have one guy totally unprotected against the virus -- that way, Ebola will be more likely to kill all of us he'll be able to help his bio-suited colleagues when they trip going up the stairs.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/man-hazmat-suit-transfers-dallas-ebola-patient-cdc-plane-article-1.1976079

Calm down, Rambam. Your hysteria is only making matters worse.
ISTM that the only people who see a Pollyanna attitude here are those who have given themselves over to hysteria.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 05:20:00 PM by Rambam »

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #229 on: October 16, 2014, 05:19:31 PM »

You forgot your smilie.

No, I didn't.

And I thought Maria's response was meant as a joke. I guess I should have known better?

Maybe it's one of those "let the reader understand" things.  
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #230 on: October 16, 2014, 05:37:52 PM »

You forgot your smilie.

No, I didn't.

Of course, it was a joke.
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #231 on: October 16, 2014, 05:39:40 PM »
I suppose the way this discussion is going we could discuss the hottest Halloween costume this season... or not...

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=ebola+halloween+costume&safe=off&tbm=shop

There are many truly tasteless puns lurking on that page....
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 05:40:36 PM by podkarpatska »

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #232 on: October 16, 2014, 05:40:15 PM »
More news from WHO concerning transmission of Ebola:

for the complete notification, please visit: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/ebola/06-october-2014/en/

The Ebola virus is transmitted among humans through close and direct physical contact with infected bodily fluids, the most infectious being blood, faeces and vomit.

The Ebola virus has also been detected in breast milk, urine and semen. In a convalescent male, the virus can persist in semen for at least 70 days; one study suggests persistence for more than 90 days.

Saliva and tears may also carry some risk. However, the studies implicating these additional bodily fluids were extremely limited in sample size and the science is inconclusive. In studies of saliva, the virus was found most frequently in patients at a severe stage of illness. The whole live virus has never been isolated from sweat.
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #233 on: October 16, 2014, 05:56:26 PM »
Here is an update on the Ebola situation:

Both Dallas nurses have been transported by air to better equipped hospitals.

And the mystery man has been identified, but is still raising concerns.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ebola-nurse-amber-vinson-plane-mystery-man-no-hazmat-suit-dallas-atlanta/

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #234 on: October 16, 2014, 06:29:42 PM »
Peter: What's wrong with hysteria? Hysteria hasn't gotten anybody killed yet.
You'll make yourself sick just worrying about getting sick. There's something Jesus said in His Sermon on the Mount that applies to this situation. I think He exhorted us to do something called not worrying.

And hysteria might just have some good consequences, like preparedness.
One doesn't have to be hysterical to be prepared. There is a difference. Preparing for the worst is certainly a noble and rational thing to do, but crying, "WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!" on an Internet discussion board only fans the flames of irrational panic, if not in the minds of your readers, at least in your own mind.

The CDC report I linked to earlier projects 1.4 million Ebola cases by January. In the face of that, I'll take hysteria over Pollyannism, thank you very much.
There is a third way: the way of moderation. That's the way I'm trying to follow.

If there's one lesson I've learned, its that you don't head into the mouth of hell without lawyers, guns, and money. (And lots of water and canned food.)
But who says we're headed into the mouth of hell?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 06:30:51 PM by PeterTheAleut »
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #235 on: October 16, 2014, 07:34:01 PM »

If there's one lesson I've learned, its that you don't head into the mouth of hell without lawyers, guns, and money. (And lots of water and canned food.)

Hold on one minute here.....you have this wrong.

The lawyers are already in the mouth of hell......why take more with you?
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Rambam

• High Elder
« Reply #236 on: October 16, 2014, 07:49:52 PM »
I just got my Zevon and Tennyson confused. Leave the lawyers, and bring the waitresses!

But seriously, why not lawyers? There'll be plenty of em. It'll be much tougher to find healthcare workers. Ebola seems like going after doctors and nurses, which is just perfect.

Hold on one minute here.....you have this wrong.

The lawyers are already in the mouth of hell......why take more with you?

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #237 on: October 16, 2014, 08:01:41 PM »
I just got my Zevon and Tennyson confused. Leave the lawyers, and bring the waitresses!

But seriously, why not lawyers? There'll be plenty of em. It'll be much tougher to find healthcare workers. Ebola seems like going after doctors and nurses, which is just perfect.
Then after that it'll go after the undertakers. ;)

Offline Rambam

• High Elder
« Reply #238 on: October 16, 2014, 08:09:47 PM »
If that happens, I'm finding the nearest pot roast and rubbing it on my chest.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #239 on: October 16, 2014, 08:11:24 PM »
Pot roast?

If that happens, I'm finding the nearest pot roast and rubbing it on my chest.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #240 on: October 16, 2014, 11:41:33 PM »
Something I posted on my FB page a few minutes ago. This may reflect some changes in my views as I stated them earlier. I still counsel against the hysteria I see from others on this thread, but the changes are real--they are the product of some recent developments on which I ruminated during my commute home from work today.

Some questions I hope Congress asked CDC head Tom Frieden today:

1. Some of the best bio-containment hospitals in the country, the NIH hospital in Bethesda, MD, the Emory University Hospital in Georgia, and the Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha, already have protocols in place for how to care for an Ebola patient and are well trained in those protocols. They provided treatment back in August to Nancy Writebol and Kent Brantly without a single health care worker getting infected, so I know they've been prepared for Ebola for some time. Hell, these places are prepared to treat those suffering from the deadliest, most contagious infections known to man. Why did the CDC not copy their protocols for personal protection and publish them as guidelines for all our nation's hospitals? If they had, then it's very likely that Nina Pham, Amber Vinson, and how many other Dallas nurses would never have gotten sick.

2. Knowing that the Ebola epidemic had been growing for months in Sierra Leone, Guinea, and Liberia, and knowing of the risk of spread to countries outside of Africa (e.g., the USA), why did the CDC not already have a plan in place to have a team on the ground in Dallas as soon as Mr. Duncan was admitted to the hospital with Ebola symptoms? They had all this time to prepare for the worst, and they knew that it could come to our shores. Why were they so unprepared?

3. What the outbreak in West Africa has shown us is that those health care workers who care for Ebola patients are at the highest risk of getting infected themselves because of their constant close proximity to the body fluids that transmit the virus. If that is the case, then why were the health care workers who cared for Thomas Eric Duncan not placed on the initial quarantined/monitored list when they should have been placed right at the top of that list? If they had, then Amber Vinson would most likely have never been allowed to fly to Cleveland. I know that the risk of anyone on either of Amber's flights catching Ebola from her is extremely slim, but tell that to the passengers who are now quarantining themselves in fear that they'll come down with the deadly disease themselves. Tell that to all the people with whom Miss Vinson had any contact during her trip who are now in quarantine for the next three weeks. The actual risk may be nonexistent, but the perception of risk is very real and can be paralyzing.

I confess that I had defended the CDC's work the last few days, admitting that they had made mistakes but hoping that they would learn from them and improve their strategy against this killer disease. But the more I'm learning about these mistakes, the more I really have to wonder. Against a disease where every victim infects another two persons on average and 70% of those stricken die, there is no margin for error. One mistake can lead to the deaths of many. And to be making such mistakes because they were not prepared, even though anyone with enough foresight could see Ebola spreading to our soil sooner or later... This is totally unacceptable.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 11:46:08 PM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #241 on: October 16, 2014, 11:57:23 PM »
The high profile cases were meant to give Americans a false sense of security in that Ebola could be treated, cured(?) and contained.  No outbreak would ever happen in the US....

When patient zero vomited Ebola all over the Dallas hospital parking lot, all bets were off.  This time, there's no putting the Ebola genie back in the bottle....

I see the US shutting down due to Ebola.  I would like to be wrong, then again, man did survive the Flu pandemic of 1918....

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #242 on: October 17, 2014, 12:05:54 AM »
The high profile cases were meant to give Americans a false sense of security in that Ebola could be treated, cured(?) and contained.  No outbreak would ever happen in the US....

When patient zero vomited Ebola all over the Dallas hospital parking lot, all bets were off.  This time, there's no putting the Ebola genie back in the bottle....

I see the US shutting down due to Ebola.  I would like to be wrong, then again, man did survive the Flu pandemic of 1918....
The only way I see Ebola shutting down the USA is if people like you and Rambam get so anxious and hysterical about it that they hide in the basement or move to the mountains to get away from society. I believe the CDC made some gravely serious mistakes, but I also trust that they will learn from these mistakes, pull their heads out of their nether regions, and keep this spate of isolated cases from becoming a true outbreak. I believe that they take their jobs very seriously and will not allow themselves or our country to be defeated. I sure hope so.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 12:09:06 AM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #243 on: October 17, 2014, 12:13:43 AM »

1. Some of the best bio-containment hospitals in the country, the NIH hospital in Bethesda, MD, the Emory University Hospital in Georgia, and the Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha, already have protocols in place for how to care for an Ebola patient and are well trained in those protocols. They provided treatment back in August to Nancy Writebol and Kent Brantly without a single health care worker getting infected, so I know they've been prepared for Ebola for some time. Hell, these places are prepared to treat those suffering from the deadliest, most contagious infections known to man. Why did the CDC not copy their protocols for personal protection and publish them as guidelines for all our nation's hospitals? If they had, then it's very likely that Nina Pham, Amber Vinson, and how many other Dallas nurses would never have gotten sick.

Those protocols and guides are published and available to all hospitals, public or private.  Whether a hospital chooses to train staff is a different question.  For example, my wife is an ICU nurse in a highly populated suburban area.  There are approximately 40-50 rooms on her floor.  Only 4 are negative air pressure rooms that would be able to have an Ebola patient.  Right next to a regular ICU patient room.  No area to shut off so that staff can put on and take off protective equipment safely (most hospitals' protocols for tuberculosis [as an example of contagious disease] demands that staff take off PPE when still in the room.  Yeah, exactly, while still being exposed to the patient >:( ).  Now, guess where the  published guidelines for taking care of ebola patients and the how-to of donning PPE correctly are?  In the break room and locker room.  No training as of yet.  This is just at my wife's hospital, but we have other friends in different hospitals in our area, pretty much the same thing.  Let's not even bring up the capabilities of rural hospitals.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #244 on: October 17, 2014, 12:16:13 AM »
The high profile cases were meant to give Americans a false sense of security in that Ebola could be treated, cured(?) and contained.  No outbreak would ever happen in the US....

When patient zero vomited Ebola all over the Dallas hospital parking lot, all bets were off.  This time, there's no putting the Ebola genie back in the bottle....

I see the US shutting down due to Ebola.  I would like to be wrong, then again, man did survive the Flu pandemic of 1918....
The only way I see Ebola shutting down the USA is if people like you and Rambam get so anxious and hysterical about it that they hide in the basement or move to the mountains to get away from society. I believe the CDC made some gravely serious mistakes, but I also trust that they will learn from these mistakes, pull their heads out of their nether regions, and keep this spate of isolated cases from becoming a true outbreak. I believe that they take their jobs very seriously and will not allow themselves or our country to be defeated. I sure hope so.

What anxiety and hysterics?   ???

We're long overdue for a pandemic anyway.   :o

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #245 on: October 17, 2014, 12:19:44 AM »

Yours.

When were we ever "due" for a pandemic? Such pandemics should never be allowed to happen as long as we have the power to stop them.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #246 on: October 17, 2014, 12:24:34 AM »

Yours.

When were we ever "due" for a pandemic? Such pandemics should never be allowed to happen as long as we have the power to stop them.

No one stopped the Flu pandemic of 1918 - 50 million dead worldwide.  That pandemic stopped itself.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #247 on: October 17, 2014, 12:33:29 AM »

Those protocols and guides are published and available to all hospitals, public or private.  Whether a hospital chooses to train staff is a different question.  For example, my wife is an ICU nurse in a highly populated suburban area.  There are approximately 40-50 rooms on her floor.  Only 4 are negative air pressure rooms that would be able to have an Ebola patient.  Right next to a regular ICU patient room.  No area to shut off so that staff can put on and take off protective equipment safely (most hospitals' protocols for tuberculosis [as an example of contagious disease] demands that staff take off PPE when still in the room.  Yeah, exactly, while still being exposed to the patient >:( ).  Now, guess where the  published guidelines for taking care of ebola patients and the how-to of donning PPE correctly are?  In the break room and locker room.  No training as of yet.  This is just at my wife's hospital, but we have other friends in different hospitals in our area, pretty much the same thing.  Let's not even bring up the capabilities of rural hospitals.

Lord have mercy.

I guess the H1N1 protocols are back in vogue:

Eat a good diet minus sugar and processed foods.
Get plenty of exercise.
Avoid alcohol, drugs, and tobacco.
Wash hands after going outside. Wave and say "hi", but do not shake hands.
Cough or sneeze in your shirt sleeve.
And do not bite your fingernails or touch your face.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 12:37:47 AM by Maria »

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #248 on: October 17, 2014, 12:54:17 AM »

Those protocols and guides are published and available to all hospitals, public or private.  Whether a hospital chooses to train staff is a different question.  For example, my wife is an ICU nurse in a highly populated suburban area.  There are approximately 40-50 rooms on her floor.  Only 4 are negative air pressure rooms that would be able to have an Ebola patient.  Right next to a regular ICU patient room.  No area to shut off so that staff can put on and take off protective equipment safely (most hospitals' protocols for tuberculosis [as an example of contagious disease] demands that staff take off PPE when still in the room.  Yeah, exactly, while still being exposed to the patient >:( ).  Now, guess where the  published guidelines for taking care of ebola patients and the how-to of donning PPE correctly are?  In the break room and locker room.  No training as of yet.  This is just at my wife's hospital, but we have other friends in different hospitals in our area, pretty much the same thing.  Let's not even bring up the capabilities of rural hospitals.

Lord have mercy.

Get plenty of exercise.
Well, there's one good reason to stop picking my nose.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #249 on: October 17, 2014, 12:59:31 AM »

Lord have mercy.

Get plenty of exercise.
Well, there's one good reason to stop picking my nose.

You sound just like my little brother.  :angel:

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #250 on: October 17, 2014, 12:59:58 AM »
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
« Reply #251 on: October 17, 2014, 01:09:46 AM »

Offline Rambam

• High Elder
« Reply #252 on: October 17, 2014, 09:04:23 AM »
I wish I shared your faith, Peter. I don't have much trust in our bureaucrats to learn from their mistakes. Maybe you do? (I mean, your Point No. 1 in a couple of posts up is dead on -- it's befuddling why we suddenly can't handle Ebola after doing it correctly.) I guess we'll see if we can trust our bureaucrats going forward. In the meantime, I think I've got scoreboard on you.

The other thing, I'm just about convinced that the CDC's No. 1 mission is to stop an outbreak ... of panic. Whether an outbreak of disease occurs, I'm less sure they're concerned. Makes sense -- the CDC was started around the time the government was commissioning sociologists to conduct research on public responses to disaster, to learn the best ways of population control, prevent the tide of panic, etc. I've got a syllabus around here somewhere of a doctoral seminar I took on disaster sociology, chock full of cites from the 40s and 50s on population control in case of nuclear disaster, chemical warfare, etc. The CDC was one organization put in place during that time, perhaps as a consequence of a lot of this research. Anyway, if the government's interests are about maintaining social structure (including government control), that doesn't necessarily jibe with my interests in staying alive.

And finally, on hysteria. It's not as if me and SolEX and Punch and whoever are running back and forth through a busy intersection like a lost dog. My responses (or at least, intentions to respond) seem to be rational, and I'm asking myself some legitimate questions ...  Maybe I shouldn't get on that airplane to go home for Thanksgiving, and I should drive, instead? Maybe I should think twice about cancelling my Costco membership and go stock up on water and canned goods? Maybe I should double or triple my winter wood order, in case the power goes out? These are not the questions motivated from hysteria. Like Rust Cohle (True Detective) says, I think of myself as more of a realist though others would call it being a pessimist.

Sure, my "We're all going to die!!" sentiment comes off as hysteria. But I'm telling you plainly that that particular fear is more about the government's ineptitude, which has resulted in deaths and which has put all of us at risk. And when they mislead us and even lie to us, as Frieden has (and plenty of reasonable people agree that he has), then these deaths can no longer be considered accidental, in my opinion.

Offline Punch

• Taxiarches
« Reply #253 on: October 17, 2014, 09:17:30 AM »
No one stopped the Flu pandemic of 1918 - 50 million dead worldwide.  That pandemic stopped itself.

Mobutu of Zaire stopped two outbreaks of Ebola when he was dictator of Zaire.  He stopped them effectively with minimal casualties in less than two months time for each.  And this was without the modern hospitals and care that we have today.  The Zaire strain of Ebola is the worse strain with a 90% death rate. 
I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.

Offline Adela

• OC.net guru
« Reply #254 on: October 17, 2014, 09:21:24 AM »
Can this be really happening????? Ok, it's not from mainstream news, but reports one of the healthcare workers from Dallas took a cruise and is experiencing symptoms on the cruise ship. And the ship isn't allowed to dock.   
Article: Texas Based Carnival Ship Stuck At Sea
http://theconservativetreehouse.com/2014/10/17/texas-based-carnival-magic-cruise-ship-stuck-at-sea-with-4633-passengers-and-dallas-healthcare-worker-with-ebola-symptoms-belize-refuses-port-entry-belizeans-saying-sink-ship-armed-belize/

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #255 on: October 17, 2014, 09:27:20 AM »
The mainstream report I read has it a bit differently.

Yes. A lab worker is on the ship. In isolation, no symptoms on day 19.

Yes, Belize told them that they would not allow -that- worker to enter Belize to then fly out.

Cruise ship is not stuck and is continuing on as planned. Cdc is in constant communication with said cruise ship.

Anyhow. That's what a more mainstream source is saying.

Offline Adela

• OC.net guru
« Reply #256 on: October 17, 2014, 09:30:04 AM »
That sounds better. I hope it's that and not the one I posted.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #257 on: October 17, 2014, 09:33:01 AM »

Indeed.  I also read that they are not even positive this lab worker handled the samples from the patient. Could have. But not did.

And the cruise left before the cdc changed their warnings, so the person didn't violate an order to remain. 

Offline charbelkaleab

• Most High Imperial Prince
  • Elder
  • St John of Shanghai and San Francisco pray for us!
« Reply #258 on: October 17, 2014, 10:19:47 AM »
First off, I'm not going to be freaking out, to get Ebola you MUST come in contact with the bodily fluids of the sick person. Yes, sneezing is possible but that means the actual saliva would have to enter and get to your mucus glands. Doesn't sound very possible too me. Let's just pray for all who have and shut up. (:

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #259 on: October 17, 2014, 11:16:13 AM »
Some of the freaking out I see on this thread reminds me of Pvt. Hudson in Aliens: "That's it, man. Game over, man! Game over! What the **** are we gonna do now? What are we gonna do?"

WARNING - Some offensive language in the following video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsx2vdn7gpY
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 11:20:40 AM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline Punch

• Taxiarches
« Reply #260 on: October 17, 2014, 11:19:13 AM »
Some of the freaking out I see on this thread reminds me of Pvt. Hudson in Aliens: "That's it, man. Game over, man! Game over! What the **** are we gonna do now? What are we gonna do?"

It has been a long time since I saw that movie, but as I remember it, all but one of them died.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #261 on: October 17, 2014, 11:22:24 AM »

It has been a long time since I saw that movie, but as I remember it, all but one of them died.
Then again, what do you expect of combat Marines?

Offline Punch

• Taxiarches
« Reply #262 on: October 17, 2014, 11:24:45 AM »

Then again, what do you expect of combat Marines?
LOL

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
« Reply #263 on: October 17, 2014, 11:24:58 AM »
First off, I'm not going to be freaking out, to get Ebola you MUST come in contact with the bodily fluids of the sick person. Yes, sneezing is possible but that means the actual saliva would have to enter and get to your mucus glands. Doesn't sound very possible too me. Let's just pray for all who have and shut up. (:

Seems like public restrooms would be breeding grounds for ebola, so yes, I am going to freak out.
"For, by its immensity, the divine substance surpasses every form that our intellect reaches. Thus we are unable to apprehend it by knowing what it is. Yet we are able to have some knowledge of it by knowing what it is not." - St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa contra gentiles, I, 14.

Offline Punch

• Taxiarches
« Reply #264 on: October 17, 2014, 11:27:04 AM »
Seems like public restrooms would be breeding grounds for ebola, so yes, I am going to freak out.

I am going to start carrying around a bucket and plastic bags so that I can poop in my own little environment and not have to use public toilets.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #265 on: October 17, 2014, 11:29:27 AM »

I am going to start carrying around a bucket and plastic bags so that I can poop in my own little environment and not have to use public toilets.

Please also bring a shower curtain...one of those camping ones....otherwise it isnt 'your own little environment'

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
« Reply #266 on: October 17, 2014, 11:31:29 AM »

But what if the game really is over?
"For, by its immensity, the divine substance surpasses every form that our intellect reaches. Thus we are unable to apprehend it by knowing what it is. Yet we are able to have some knowledge of it by knowing what it is not." - St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa contra gentiles, I, 14.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #267 on: October 17, 2014, 11:33:26 AM »

But what if the game really is over?
How do you know it is?

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #268 on: October 17, 2014, 11:35:18 AM »
Kinda makes the Belizean government look excessively irrational to me.

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • St. Gregory the Theologian Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox (former WR)
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Boston
« Reply #269 on: October 17, 2014, 11:54:31 AM »
Ebola wont become an epidemic, it wont become a game ender, it wont become anything....the media just needs a new shiny trinket since Assad and Putin are now old shoes. There are more people with Werewolf Syndrome in the US than Ebola.....

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker