Author Topic: Do you believe in reborning?  (Read 5242 times)

Offline Indocern

• BANNED for rules violations
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
Do you believe in reborning?
« on: September 05, 2014, 03:10:44 AM »

Offline lovesupreme

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
Re: Do you believe in reborning?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 03:18:07 AM »
Do you mean the idea of being a "born again" Christian?

Offline Indocern

• OC.net guru
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 03:21:16 AM »
Do you mean the idea of being a "born again" Christian?

Being dead and then again on earth.

Offline lovesupreme

• OC.net guru
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 03:24:35 AM »
"Resurrection" is the idea of the dead returning to life.

"Reincarnation" is the idea of the dead being reborn in another body.

Did you mean either of these things?

Offline Indocern

• OC.net guru
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 03:26:03 AM »
"Resurrection" is the idea of the dead returning to life.

Did you mean either of these things?

this

Offline lovesupreme

• OC.net guru
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 03:28:37 AM »
In that case, no, I do not believe that we are reborn in someone else's body. The Church teaches that our souls and bodies are linked and meant to be together always. That is why death is considered unnatural (although scientifically speaking, of course it is natural).

Offline Santagranddad

• OC.net guru
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 08:15:37 AM »
No, but I do believe in the little people.  ::)

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 09:32:37 AM »
Well, that's one version. Other versions involve keeping the same spiritual body throughout one's lifetimes.
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline lovesupreme

• OC.net guru
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 11:47:44 AM »
Well, that's one version. Other versions involve keeping the same spiritual body throughout one's lifetimes.

Oh, well, in that case, I have no views on the matter.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
  • Faith: GOAA
  • Jurisdiction: Antonis said I'm not Christian, so...
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 11:59:54 AM »

I don't. :)
My only weakness is, well, never mind

He said he had a horrible house
I looked in it and learnt to shut my mouth

Come back my dream into my arms, into my arms

London is drowning, and I live by the river

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 12:30:01 PM »

The correct term is rebirth, ... which is a doctrine expounded by the Buddhism variety.
Learn meditation.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me St. Severus
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 01:32:44 PM »

The correct term is rebirth, ... which is a doctrine expounded by the Buddhism variety.

No that's a vague term still simply because we believe our baptism is rebirth. Reincarnation is the more specific term the OP was looking for
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 01:33:47 PM by minasoliman »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• High Elder
  • St. John Koukouzeles
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2014, 01:47:09 PM »
no, man dies once only, then the judgment.
Quote from: Elder Thaddeus of Vitovnica
Only one person who is prayerfully connected to God is needed, and we will have peace everywhere -- in the family, at work, in the government, and everywhere.

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2014, 02:23:03 PM »
"I die daily." (1 Corinthians 15:31; KJV)
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2014, 04:59:50 PM »
Reincarnation is an important early heresy (Origen), so, no, as a Christian I do not trust it. Reincarnation is so often caricatured in our day as a Hindu folly that I confess I was surprised when I learnt most ancient European religions held the belief, and the classical philosophers (and, again, Origen) held it.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2014, 06:08:04 PM »
It seems it's very hard to pin down what exactly Origen felt about the soul.  At one point it seems he's condemning the idea, and at another point he's open to its possibility if it's consistent with God's justice.  Nevertheless, I think there might have been a deliberate distortion of his beliefs.  Fr. Tadros Malaty seems to show some of these ambiguities on pages 533 and 887.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2014, 06:13:35 PM »

No that's a vague term still simply because we believe our baptism is rebirth. Reincarnation is the more specific term the OP was looking for

Ok, .. but the whole thing does not say much more than "Christianity is special, other religions are not" ...
Learn meditation.

Offline minasoliman

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2014, 06:23:58 PM »

Ok, .. but the whole thing does not say much more than "Christianity is special, other religions are not" ...

I don't understand your point.  I'm only pointing out the vagueness of the term you thought was the correct term, which I said, it wasn't.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2014, 06:36:01 PM »
It seems it's very hard to pin down what exactly Origen felt about the soul.  At one point it seems he's condemning the idea, and at another point he's open to its possibility if it's consistent with God's justice.  Nevertheless, I think there might have been a deliberate distortion of his beliefs.  Fr. Tadros Malaty seems to show some of these ambiguities on pages 533 and 887.

I agree. And I think he was just engaging the academic climate of his day. However, I also understand why the Fathers needed later to draw a hard line.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2014, 07:53:30 PM »
I haven't seen any evidence that Origen's view of the soul involved the possibility that the soul could be associated with more than one physical body; at most, he entertained the idea that the soul pre-existed in a spiritual body of one sort or another, it seems.
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Skydive

• High Elder
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2014, 05:27:13 AM »
I think she was looking for your own belief in to weather you believe in the Reincarnation or not. I feel like I am looking at the 'Matrix'. So many dodges :).

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2014, 05:56:46 AM »
As in reincarnation? No. It's too evil to be true.

Offline Skydive

• High Elder
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2014, 06:08:06 AM »

Why evil? Few things are juster than 'Reincarnation'. Explains why a lot of things in the world come the way they are.

Offline quietmorning

• Archon
  • St. Photini please pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2014, 07:29:45 AM »
No.  I don't believe in reincarnation. 
In His Mercy,
BethAnna

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2014, 12:57:41 PM »

Why evil? Few things are juster than 'Reincarnation'. Explains why a lot of things in the world come the way they are.

Which, since it's a false explanation, is an important lie. "Why is Skydive being bludgeoned in an alley?" -- "Because he was a Nazi in a past life." -- "Well then let's not interfere." I'm not saying reincarnation requires this kind of thinking, but it's the thinking you're ascribing to it, and it's evil thinking.

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2014, 03:05:04 PM »

Which, since it's a false explanation, is an important lie. "Why is Skydive being bludgeoned in an alley?" -- "Because he was a Nazi in a past life." -- "Well then let's not interfere." I'm not saying reincarnation requires this kind of thinking, but it's the thinking you're ascribing to it, and it's evil thinking.
I think you're assuming what Skydive is ascribing to reincarnation. Explaining why things are the way they are, is a pretty generic process. Besides, the reincarnation process doesn't exclude other processes that might also be present, such as chance, chaos, randomness, or divine activity.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 03:08:59 PM by Jetavan »
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2014, 03:37:06 PM »

Because it blames the innocent for their suffering.

It's hard to touch without delving into politics, but the whole Karma-Reincarnation cosmology seems like a product of the greedy bourgeoisie to try and justify poverty as well as the mistreatment and disregard for the poor (which is what many wealthy Hindus in India do in fact do). I refuse to believe that kids are starving across the globe and being born into horrible conditions because of something they did to entail and/or deserve it in a past life.

Reincarnation just blames innocent victims and give justification under a religious veil for the greedy & wealthy to exploit the less privileged.

Reincarnation and Karma is probably about as evil and disturbing a cosmology as Calvinism.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 03:39:51 PM by JamesR »

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2014, 04:41:31 PM »

Because it blames the innocent for their suffering.
Reincarnation just blames innocent victims and give justification under a religious veil for the greedy & wealthy to exploit the less privileged.
That's certainly one way (and an all-too-common way) to understand reincarnation, but it's not the only way nor (according to various sources) the most useful and accurate way. Among the Hasidic Jews, for instance, the focus is not so much on blaming the 'victim', but on encouraging fulfilling the 613 mitzvot, which might require more than one physical life-time.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 04:44:19 PM by Jetavan »
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2014, 05:02:15 PM »
Reincarnation and Karma is probably about as evil and disturbing a cosmology as Calvinism.

Why do you feel reincarnation and karma are "evil?" ... Its just as necessary as a drinking Christ's blood from a chalice.
Learn meditation.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2014, 05:11:26 PM »
Reincarnation doesn't have to correspond to the stereotypical Hindu outlook, far from it. But that is what most people in the West assume. I think the real value in the idea of reincarnation can be found better in Christianity. The value as I see it amounts to three things: ( 1 ) that we will be judged, ( 2 ) that we have some knowledge of right and wrong (both these traits are vividly depicted in Plato's parable at the end of the Republic), and ( 3 ) that as others are, so may I have been or become. Common Christian teachings obviously supply the same value as the first two, while the last may require a bit more mystical of an understanding ... (Supposed to be frying chicken so I'll cut this short.)

Offline minasoliman

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2014, 08:59:59 PM »

Why do you feel reincarnation and karma are "evil?" ... Its just as necessary as a drinking Christ's blood from a chalice.
my dear friend, please make some sense

Offline Niko92

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2014, 08:53:42 AM »
Just my two cents (may not mean much as i am new to the forum)

I base a lot of my ideas on the early church fathers and from what i can see only a handful even mention anything to do with reincarnation but even then only really as a passing by type of thing.

The most notable one as mentioned being Origen but in my opinion completely misinterpreted in regards to that topic and even at times he is skeptical of his "version" of it. (If i may word it like that)

Niko

Offline Indocern

• OC.net guru
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2015, 04:04:19 PM »
I believe in reborning.

Offline sakura95

• Resident Philosonoob
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox seeker
  • Jurisdiction: Deanery of Great Britain and Ireland
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2015, 04:09:42 PM »
Yes and no.

Yes in the sense that we are reborn anew in Baptism.

No in the sense of reincarnation.
My Lord, My Lord, give my worthless soul the illumination of Wisdom in your mercy

Offline Echa

• 그리스도께서 부활하셨네! 참으로 부활하셨네!
  • Jurisdiction: Partriarch of Moscow
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2015, 04:44:25 PM »
Reincarnation? Nope! I should be buddhist to believe in this and if i was a buddhist i must also accept to believe that i could be a cockroach in my next life. LOL.
Христос възкресе! Наистина възкресе!

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
  • Faith: GOAA
  • Jurisdiction: Antonis said I'm not Christian, so...
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2015, 04:53:21 PM »
I think I might like to be a parakeet. They're cute. ;)
My only weakness is, well, never mind

He said he had a horrible house
I looked in it and learnt to shut my mouth

Come back my dream into my arms, into my arms

London is drowning, and I live by the river

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2015, 09:33:41 PM »
I believe in reborning.

What is "reborning"?

Do you mean baptismal regeneration or rebirth, or do you mean reincarnation or transmigration of souls?

I believe in the former and the latter I believe was anathematized along with Origen who was alleged to have taught it.
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2015, 09:38:11 PM »
I believe in reborning.
How is that compatible with Orthodoxy?
God bless!

Offline Indocern

• OC.net guru
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2015, 06:02:13 AM »
I believe in reborning.
How is that compatible with Orthodoxy?

I know it is not compatible with orthodoxy I will overcome it.

Offline Indocern

• OC.net guru
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2016, 12:25:41 PM »
I talked with my priest, he say that there is no reincarnation.

But I still believe that there is reincarnation.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 12:37:01 PM by Indocern »

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2016, 12:36:15 PM »
I've read a book on RC apologetics against Spiritism which exposed the doctrine of reincarnation as essentially despising Christ himself.

If there is reincarnation, and a soul is not directly connected to one life (in the literal, biological sense), we won't all be raised in judgement day, so Christ's resurrection was unfruitful. If the damned are punished by inferior reincarnation, and not by hellfire, so Christ's harrowing of hell was unworthy. If the meaning of life is being freed from the circle of reincarnations, why would Christ transfigure the world in the end?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 12:37:43 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Offline CarolS

• Lurker Extraordinaire
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2016, 12:50:56 PM »
The sacrifice of Christ on the Cross offers us salvation which lasts for all eternity. Why would we need to be born again? Also, while we have opportunities for repentance while alive ( in this life only) there is no indication in the Holy Scriptures that we get another life to try again.
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Offline Bryan Paul

• Formerly known as "BryanS"
  • Elder
  • Chrismated: 2015-08-30
    • The Visible Narrator
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2016, 03:03:01 PM »

Why?
Because you like the idea, or because you've seen some evidence to support it?
I have always found the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom to be so much more moving in the original Ukrainian.

Offline minasoliman

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2016, 03:30:38 PM »
We don't believe in reincarnation because we are not embodied souls.  Our bodies are intrinsically part of who we are as a person just as much as our souls.  To reincarnate is not merely to insult Christ's justice, but Christ's incarnation.  He was incarnate fully as we are, so each person with body and soul are not reincarnate, but have a unique salvific place in Christ's heart.  It is impossible therefore to believe in Christ's incarnation and our reincarnation.  One cancels the other out.  He came to heal your bodies, not to abolish it with another body.  To believe in reincarnation is to insult Christ's incarnation.

Offline Bryan Paul

• Elder
    • The Visible Narrator
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2016, 03:34:04 PM »
We don't believe in reincarnation because we are not embodied souls.  Our bodies are intrinsically part of who we are as a person just as much as our souls.  To reincarnate is not merely to insult Christ's justice, but Christ's incarnation.  He was incarnate fully as we are, so each person with body and soul are not reincarnate, but have a unique salvific place in Christ's heart.  It is impossible therefore to believe in Christ's incarnation and our reincarnation.  One cancels the other out.  He came to heal your bodies, not to abolish it with another body.  To believe in reincarnation is to insult Christ's incarnation.

I'm going to copy this and save it for later. This is an excellent explanation!
I have always found the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom to be so much more moving in the original Ukrainian.

Offline Indocern

• OC.net guru
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2016, 04:27:17 PM »

Why?

Because I like the idea.

Offline Bryan Paul

• Elder
    • The Visible Narrator
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2016, 04:57:16 PM »

Why?

Because I like the idea.

In that case, I believe I'm invisible, and can fly.  :o

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2016, 11:51:11 PM »

Why?

Because I like the idea.
I don't.

God bless!

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2016, 11:53:06 PM »

Why?

Because I like the idea.
I don't.

That's not reborning ....thats undeading   

very different
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2016, 11:57:27 PM »

Why?

Because I like the idea.

Ok, R. Kelly
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2016, 12:06:19 AM »

And yet Lazarus (and others) died twice.

Selam
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2016, 11:53:18 AM »
He came to heal your bodies, not to abolish it with another body. 

The Hasidic Jews believe in reincarnation, and have developed a way to reconcile reincarnation and resurrection without abolishing the body. The precise way they do it is really not important; what's important is that there are ways to reconcile these two apparently contradictory ideas. Reconciliation seems possible, if only because of what Jesus said, concerning John the Baptist, in Matthew 11:14: "And if you are willing to accept it, John himself is Elijah who was to come."

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2016, 12:15:10 PM »

Why?

Because I like the idea.

I believe I can fly. I believe I can touch the sky.
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2016, 12:33:01 PM »
He came to heal your bodies, not to abolish it with another body. 

The Hasidic Jews believe in reincarnation, and have developed a way to reconcile reincarnation and resurrection without abolishing the body. The precise way they do it is really not important; what's important is that there are ways to reconcile these two apparently contradictory ideas. Reconciliation seems possible, if only because of what Jesus said, concerning John the Baptist, in Matthew 11:14: "And if you are willing to accept it, John himself is Elijah who was to come."
Well, it is certainly possible to compatibilise whatever weird doctrine you decide to be cool enough to try to match with the Bible. There are books and books all over history where Gnostics, Kardecists and New Agers tried to do that, but it's neither in the Bible nor in the Sacred Tradition (unless, of course, in heresiology), so we shouldn't try to mess with that, specially when we're trying to exhortate a brother in doubt.

The coming of St. Elijah was fulfilled at the Transfiguration. St. John the Forerunner just figurated St. Elijah. Seriously, how would even St. Elijah reincarnate if he didn't even die in the first place?!

« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 12:33:43 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Offline Velsigne

• OC.net guru
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2016, 12:51:42 PM »

Yes, thank you Mina, very helpful explanation.

I used to think reincarnation was a possibility, but having learned to hate my life here prior to becoming Christian, I resolved that I never wanted to return here again. 

This was part of my calculus as a convert, that I want to be healed in this life and never have to come back and play this silly game of duality. 

I have learned a lot by God's grace since those days.  For one, to love life again, to love God is to love the life He bestows on us, to be grateful, but still I don't want reincarnation.  To be close to God is far better than anything here in this life. 

And don't we pray the Litanies all the time, "help us, save us, protect us, have mercy on us and keep us o God by Your grace."
A nation is not conquered until the hearts of its women are on the ground.

Then it is done, no matter how brave its warriors nor how strong their weapons -- Cheyenne proverb

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2016, 01:03:55 PM »

Why?

Because I like the idea.

Do you think about it every night and day?
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2016, 02:11:36 PM »

Why?

Because I like the idea.

No, but I have dreamed of growing another 8 inches taller and playing basketball alongside the likes of Bugs Bunny, Lola Bunny, Daffy Duck, and Bill Murray.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2016, 02:14:19 PM »

Why?

Because I like the idea.

No, but I have dreamed of growing another 8 inches taller and playing basketball alongside the likes of Bugs Bunny, Lola Bunny, Daffy Duck, and Bill Murray.

Basketball with Bill Murray would be pretty fun.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Indocern

• OC.net guru
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2016, 07:06:15 AM »
Why then it is say that some people will be still alive in the end times in the Bible? Why then there is judgement after a person die, and again judgement after he is suffered in hell, is it right? Why then it will be judgement day, if there is judgement after he die?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 07:36:28 AM by Indocern »

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Care to join me in a maniacal laughter?
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2016, 07:12:04 AM »
This discussion might help.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Indocern

• OC.net guru
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2016, 07:16:03 AM »

There is no repentance after death.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Care to join me in a maniacal laughter?
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2016, 07:17:28 AM »

You might want to read more slowly. You will understand more.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Indocern

• OC.net guru
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2016, 07:44:32 AM »

You might want to read more slowly. You will understand more.

Yes I will read it.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2016, 10:41:32 AM »

You can't believe both in reincarnation and that there is no repentance after death, for the two beliefs contradict each other. If we return to this world to live another life like this one, where repentance is possible, then there is repentance after death. In fact, with reincarnation there is no real sense of the concept of death.

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2016, 12:19:12 AM »

Why?

Because I like the idea.

Weren't you a bit old for Space Jam?  :P
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2016, 12:44:13 AM »

Why?

Because I like the idea.

Weren't you a bit old for Space Jam?  :P
No

Offline Tzimis

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2016, 11:00:46 AM »
Why then it is say that some people will be still alive in the end times in the Bible?

They will. When Christ comes to the earth in his second coming. People will still be alive.

Why then there is judgement after a person die, and again judgement after he is suffered in hell, is it right?

Interesting question. I look at it this way. When a person dies they leave creation and enter into eternity. In eternity, time and space don't exist as we know it. Time and space are part of creation and the after life doesn't yield to the laws of nature or time and space. So, its very possible that at the moment of death we enter into judgement day immediately.

Why then it will be judgement day, if there is judgement after he die?
Read above.

Offline Indocern

• OC.net guru
« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2016, 11:44:16 AM »
Why then it is say that some people will be still alive in the end times in the Bible?

They will. When Christ comes to the earth in his second coming. People will still be alive.

Why then there is judgement after a person die, and again judgement after he is suffered in hell, is it right?

Interesting question. I look at it this way. When a person dies they leave creation and enter into eternity. In eternity, time and space don't exist as we know it. Time and space are part of creation and the after life doesn't yield to the laws of nature or time and space. So, its very possible that at the moment of death we enter into judgement day immediately.

Read above.

If there is no time in the eternity, why then it is written:

2 Peter 3:8: But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2016, 01:42:43 PM »

Read above.

2 Peter 3:8: But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
To demonstrate how God relates to time as one outside of time?

Offline Indocern

• OC.net guru
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2016, 02:39:33 PM »

Read above.

What will you say about the days, that God created the world in the six days and He rest on the seventh day, is this not a time?

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2016, 03:06:39 PM »

Read above.

What will you say about the days, that God created the world in the six days and He rest on the seventh day, is this not a time?
Does God wear a wristwatch?

Offline Indocern

• OC.net guru
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2016, 03:32:34 PM »

Read above.

No.

Offline PeterTheAleut

• Hypatos
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2016, 03:45:36 PM »

Read above.

No.
I think, then, that you just answered your own question.

Offline Indocern

• OC.net guru
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2017, 05:14:07 AM »
Deleted.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 05:15:00 AM by Indocern »

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2017, 07:05:43 AM »
Reminds me to study up on the Buddhism doctrine of Rebirth.
Learn meditation.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2017, 07:09:56 AM »

Just because a priest thinks so doesn't mean its true.
Learn meditation.