Poll

A Roman Catholic with a great admiration/love for Orthodoxy with a devotion to Agios Nektarios?

Did anyone read my post?
4 (100%)
A Roman Catholic with a great admiration/love for Orthodoxy
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: My first post: RC with great admiration for Orthodoxy  (Read 1669 times)

Offline efrasios

My first post: RC with great admiration for Orthodoxy
« on: September 04, 2014, 04:58:43 AM »
Hello Everyone,

I am totally new to this site and I still finding my way around & getting used to it. I really wasn't sure where to make my first post, but, as a Roman Catholic I thought this section might be the best place. I feel so much like I want to share my story with you, I have admired this site from afar and have now made my own account. I am hoping somebody will read what I am going to write!

My name is Frazer, I am 20 years old and I am working as a Pastoral Assistant to a Roman Catholic Priest in London, I am also hoping to go on to the Priesthood myself.  The reason why I've come to this site is because even though I am a Roman Catholic I have a deep admiration and huge interest in Orthodoxy and the Eastern Church, I hope that by coming here I will learn more about it and hopefully (God willing) make some friends.  

When I was about 16 or maybe 17 years old, I purely out of curiosity and admiration went to my first Divine Liturgy in a Greek Orthodox Church. This was a very beautiful & moving experience for me, so much so that  I started to go regularly to the DL (attending the Catholic Mass the evening before) I also enrolled in a Greek course when I was 17 years old, where I happened to meet a nice man who attended the Church of Agios Konstantinos & Agia Eleni in Crystal Palace in London, where I had been to the Liturgy a number of times, I recognised him and we instantly became friends.  He is an older man who had been married to a Greek lady, although, had no interest whatsoever in the faith until several years later when he was more or less 70 he had a conversion experience and was received into the Orthodox Church.

As time went by I became very close to this dear man who would take me to the Divine Liturgy often and also to the shrine of St. Nektarios in Battersea, where I first came across this wonder working Saint for the first time.  I had come very much to love and appreciate the Divine Liturgy and how welcome I had been made to feel at the Greek Parish & by all the people I'd met (even though I am not Orthodox).  I am very outgoing and was learning Greek so I would try my hardest to speak in Greek to people, which was appreciated and I think they could see I was a genuine person.  The Priest was also very kind to me and took a great interest in me, I would always go to St. Constantine & Helen because it was easier for me to get to, but, my friend preferred to go to St. Nektarios- so I did get an experience of a number of Greek parishes and also visited the Monastery in Essex.

The first time I visited the Church of Agios Nektarios I felt an instant connection with the Saint, I knew nothing about him, but it was though even his name meant something to me.  As a Roman Catholic I have always loved and prayed to and with the Saints, but with St. Nektarios...it was almost as though he clicked with my soul.  Father allowed me to venerate the relics of St. Nektarios and gave me an icon to take home with me, I immediately struck a Spiritual "Bond" with St. Nektarios and began to invoke him, even as a Roman Catholic.  I read a book on St. Nektarios and became very devoted to him, even to the point of wearing his medal around my neck with a Greek Cross.  My devotion to St. Nektarios has been with me since I was 17 years old, however, I did let it slip and only recently I have re-in kindled my devotion and am again invoking his intercession I believe I have received a great grace from him recently, leading me to sign up to this site.  I do realise that some people here might "misunderstand" my devotion to St. Nektarios- but I assure you it is truly genuine and true.  I am very much devoted to him.  If I got the opportunity to visit the island of Aigina and the Monastery he founded there I would literally jump at the chance.

I subsequently, despite, my great leaning towards Orthodoxy (which has affected and helped me in my faith) have remained and will remain faithful to the Catholic Church. However, through, with the beautiful experiences I have had I admit that I have been tempted to join the Orthodox Church- the kind Greek Priest asked me if I would like to be received and to take my dear friend as a Godfather but I never accepted, I am a Catholic with Orthodox tendencies and sympathies but I am not prepared to become Orthodox.  I do of course know about the Russian Orthodox Church etc. and understand it is the same Church, as are all the Patriarchies but it is just my main Orthodox experiences have been Greek. I did however get the opportunity to do some charity work in Romania, where, I visited a number of Orthodox Churches and attended the Divine Liturgy- I would cross myself like the Orthodox whenever I passed the Church and genuinely pray and believe in the Divine Liturgy.  I am now thinking very seriously about become a Priest myself, I know St. Nektarios is always with me and interceding for me- I have the great temptation to go and live in an Orthodox country or to spend some time there but I do feel a great call towards the Priesthood and to the Sacraments.

I am looking to enjoy this site and learning from it.  I don't claim to be an expert on Orthodoxy but I know enough to know I am attracted to it.  I love the Divine Liturgy, the icons, the Saints- I am a Greco Romano shall we say hahaha!

Hope I have been clear and really look forward to speaking to some of you!

Offline Indocern

• BANNED for rules violations
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
Re: My first post: RC with great admiration for Orthodoxy
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 06:14:19 AM »
You better become orthodox its better.

Offline quietmorning

• Archon
  • St. Photini please pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 06:30:37 AM »
Welcome, efrasios, may your journey be blessed. Lord have mercy.
In His Mercy,
BethAnna

Offline elephant

• High Elder
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 07:43:22 AM »
Dear efrasios,

Welcome to the forum! 

I also love and respect Saint Nektarios of Aegina.  My Priest sometimes wears an epitrachelion that belonged to the Saint.  A nearby Church has his relic, and I am able to visit there occasionally.  A number of his books have been translated into English, you may wish to read them.

Love, elephant

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 09:03:55 AM »
I'm not quite sure what to make of your poll, but yes, I read it.  Welcome to the forum! And please ignore some of the indigenous creatures who can be somewhat hostile at times.  :P
God bless!

Offline MarianCatholic

• Obedience to Rome is fundamental
  • Papist
  • Faith: Catholic
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 09:25:51 AM »
Hi erfrasios and welcome to the Orthodox forums, I'm new here as well and I got the feeling that I was the only Catholic to be on this site and I'm happy to see others alongside:)

I have yet to have any liturgical experiences with the Orthodox Church and I'm planning to visit a Greek or Russian Orthodox church the next time I'm visiting Oslo (there aren't any Orthodox Churches elsewhere in Norway) just to learn about our Orthodox brethren which is also the reason Ive joined up at this site.

I would also like to develop friendships with my brothers and sisters in Christ who are Orthodox and even though I'm determined to stay Catholic until the hour of my death I'm interested in learning more about the Orthodox faith who we share so much with (of course except some decisive dogma such as the Papal infability among others).

So again welcome to the forums!

yours in Jesus and Mary
- MarianCatholic

« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 09:27:57 AM by MarianCatholic »
Christ is Risen, Alleluia!

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • St. Gregory the Theologian Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox (former WR)
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Boston
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 09:28:23 AM »
I was the only Catholic to be on this site
Heck no. There's a whole clutch of RC's (they are gathered into clutches, yes?) here. Welcome, both.

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 10:13:07 AM »
Welcome to the forum! We can be pretty negative and rowdy around here, but I hope it's a positive expereince for you. A warning: Orthodoxy online has little in common with the Orthodoxy you experienced in the real world. A lot of nut jobs on here (myself included).

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • St. Gregory the Theologian Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox (former WR)
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Boston
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 10:16:05 AM »
Welcome to the forum! We can be pretty negative and rowdy around here, but I hope it's a positive expereince for you. A warning: Orthodoxy online has little in common with the Orthodoxy you experienced in the real world. A lot of nut jobs on here (myself included).
^This.

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 10:16:29 AM »
Yup, pretty much this.  And I agree, Alveus is a nut job.

j/k, he is actually quite awesome.
God bless!

Offline MarianCatholic

• Papist
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 10:33:01 AM »
Yup, pretty much this.  And I agree, Alveus is a nut job.

Ha ha, gotta love it:)
If your sense of humour is representative for the atmosphere at this site in general I'm quite sure Ill enjoy my time here;)
 ;D
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 10:33:57 AM by MarianCatholic »

Offline homedad76

• High Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 10:51:01 AM »
Actually the differences between the different "jurisdictions" is less like those between Eastern and Western Catholics and more like those between a Catholic Church in Hamtrack, MI and one in South Bend, IN.  Same liturgy, same sacraments, same beliefs but differences in culture.  Because of the canonical anomaly of multiple jurisdictions in one land that we have in the US (and many other places in the west) it seems more pronounced but as time goes by you will start to see it become less about the language(s) used in the liturgy and more about whether they have Greekfest or a Slavic Heritage Festival every year.
"However hard I try, I find it impossible to construct anything greater than these three words, 'Love one another' —only to the end, and without exceptions: then all is justified and life is illumined, whereas otherwise it is an abomination and a burden."

—Mother Maria of Paris

Offline efrasios

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 10:51:15 AM »
Thanks to everyone for the welcomes and comments so far!

Offline efrasios

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 11:05:09 AM »
Actually the differences between the different "jurisdictions" is less like those between Eastern and Western Catholics and more like those between a Catholic Church in Hamtrack, MI and one in South Bend, IN.  Same liturgy, same sacraments, same beliefs but differences in culture.  Because of the canonical anomaly of multiple jurisdictions in one land that we have in the US (and many other places in the west) it seems more pronounced but as time goes by you will start to see it become less about the language(s) used in the liturgy and more about whether they have Greekfest or a Slavic Heritage Festival every year.

Thanks for that!

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2014, 11:07:09 AM »
Hi, efrasios. Welcome.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline homedad76

• High Elder
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2014, 11:30:59 AM »

Thanks for that!

Technically that was supposed to be a response to MarianCatholic but I am glad you found it helpful as well.  Apparently "simple machines", like God, works in mysterious ways ;)
"However hard I try, I find it impossible to construct anything greater than these three words, 'Love one another' —only to the end, and without exceptions: then all is justified and life is illumined, whereas otherwise it is an abomination and a burden."

—Mother Maria of Paris

Offline efrasios

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2014, 11:32:18 AM »

Technically that was supposed to be a response to MarianCatholic but I am glad you found it helpful as well.  Apparently "simple machines", like God, works in mysterious ways ;)
[/quote]

Yes but still helpful to us all!

Offline Indocern

• OC.net guru
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2014, 12:35:39 PM »

Thanks for that!

God is not machine HE is living GOD

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2014, 12:39:21 PM »

Thanks for that!

He is saying that computers, like God, work in mysterious ways. He is not saying that God is a machine.
God bless!

Offline Indocern

• OC.net guru
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2014, 12:42:26 PM »
Actually the differences between the different "jurisdictions" is less like those between Eastern and Western Catholics and more like those between a Catholic Church in Hamtrack, MI and one in South Bend, IN.  Same liturgy, same sacraments, same beliefs but differences in culture.  Because of the canonical anomaly of multiple jurisdictions in one land that we have in the US (and many other places in the west) it seems more pronounced but as time goes by you will start to see it become less about the language(s) used in the liturgy and more about whether they have Greekfest or a Slavic Heritage Festival every year.

Thanks for that!

Technically that was supposed to be a response to MarianCatholic but I am glad you found it helpful as well.  Apparently "simple machines", like God, works in mysterious ways ;)

He is saying that computers, like God, work in mysterious ways. He is not saying that God is a machine.

If he say so i accept.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 12:42:48 PM by Indocern »

Offline katherineofdixie

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2014, 01:02:44 PM »

I agree. I, however, am perfectly sane and reasonable. Just ask anyone. ;)
"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom

Offline MarianCatholic

• Papist
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2014, 01:04:46 PM »

I agree. I, however, am perfectly sane and reasonable. Just ask anyone. ;)

Ha Ha, Again I love it:))
How could Ive missed out on this forum earlier?:P
Glad to be here :D

Offline Santagranddad

• OC.net guru
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2014, 01:10:48 PM »
Welcome to a very rough and tumble meeting point, make of it what you will.

Saint Nektarios is one near to our times and therefore, I feel, very approachable. On Aegina I was blessed to visit his tomb, something very special for me. No doubt he will be a help and an inspiration to you too.

Best wishes

Offline homedad76

• High Elder
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2014, 01:21:31 PM »

Thanks for that!

Simple Machines is the program these forums run on.  Perhaps you are not familiar with the phrase "God works in mysterious ways"?  It was a play on that.

—Mother Maria of Paris

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2014, 01:25:45 PM »

Thanks for that!

Disclaimer:  I am not nor have ever been RC (have only attended a few masses in my lifetime).

I like to think of the analogy as Irish vs German vs Polish vs Spanish (etc.) Catholics as opposed to MI vs IN.

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Toumarches
  • Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!
  • Faith: Cafeteria CHRISTIAN Heretic
  • Jurisdiction: Here and now (well...sometimes...)
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2014, 03:22:41 PM »
Welcome, Efrasios!!!!!!  Hold on to your hat  ;D ;D ;D!

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)