OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 03:53:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forums are the same wherever you go  (Read 934 times) Average Rating: 0
Intrigued Latin

Toronto, Canada

« on: May 06, 2005, 01:46:56 PM »

okay, I've lurked here more than I've posted.  I've went back and viewed posts from 2002 as well.
I've come to realize that no matter what board one visits they'll see the exact same discussions. (some may be more charitable than others)
Why can't we all just get along ?  I know it's easier said than done.
Here's a little story that I'd like to share.
When I married my Greek Orthodox wife, I agreed to get married in her Church as long as she agreed to take the Catholic marriage preparation course with me.
Our wedding was beautiful. 
After a year or so of marriage we started doing some decorating in our house and my in-laws had brought us back a beautiful sterling silver on wood Icon of the Theotokos, which we had in our bedroom.  I also had a painting of the Crucifixion depicting Christ with His Mother at the foot of the Cross. This belonged to my Grandmother (Memory Eternal), which I cherish dearly.
The time came and my wife told me to take the painting down in our bedroom, and I got very upset, and rebutted with "We'll I'm taking down the icon too, it means nothing to me"
Since then, I have had a complete change of heart,  I embrace everything in the Orthodox faith with reverence and love. The Icon of the Theotokos now sits above my 20 month old daughter as she sleeps,   along with a wooden Crucifix from Jerusalem, and an picture of St. Th+¬r+¿se of Lisieux.
I had even considered converting to Orthodoxy so that my family could be "canonically undivided" (we baptized our daughter GO).
I decided against converting, mainly because I have hope.  A hope that we all need, so that unity will be achieved and these "Catholic vs. Orthodox" threads will cease.

your brother in Christ
Brad

Christos Anesti,ÂÂ  Alithos Anesti
Christus resurrexit! Resurrexit vere!
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 02:02:17 PM »

Thanks for sharing.  Yes, hopefully one day genuine unity will occur.  Unfortunately, this necessarily means disaster for the "infallibility" claims of whichever Church decides to "bend" on their doctrine.

This, unfortunately, is the corner into which both Churches have painted themselves, and it because of their close proximity to each other in this "corner" that these similar threads pop up so often in each Church's respective fora.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
optxogokcoc
orthodoxos

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 10:11:22 AM »

Intrigued Latin, brother I am first one to argue with Latins. Thats on the one side, on the other it is all for good. No hate. It is just that internet.

(Just a little picture)You guys (Latins) did not hear from us ("Greeks") for 1000 years. So now we are telling you what we think. And, its not nice. But, really, I do not hold any hate, some pain, but no hate... and I dare sat it is the same with others.

Its a forum in which everyone is welcome to say what they think. As long as it is not blasphemous.

God bless you and yours!

Lord is risen!

Carpatho-Rusyn
Just Orthodox

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 07:42:14 PM »

Brad,

I understand your point. I am a recent Orthodox convert from Roman Catholicism. My wife and children remain RC. But my wife was understanding of my journey and has no issues with my children attending Divine Liturgy with me. It's give and take in any good relationship. Perhaps patience and my own visible change of heart will one day move her to Orthodoxy as well.

Was it anything specific that moved you to come to embrace Orthodoxy?

Regards,
Alexis 

Man, learn the sickness of thy soul, for without acknowlegdement of illness there is no healing....Christ alone can heal us, who sigh and pray to him with faith.
- St. Tikhon of Zadonsk
Intrigued Latin

Toronto, Canada

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2005, 11:16:01 AM »

Brad,

I understand your point. I am a recent Orthodox convert from Roman Catholicism. My wife and children remain RC. But my wife was understanding of my journey and has no issues with my children attending Divine Liturgy with me. It's give and take in any good relationship. Perhaps patience and my own visible change of heart will one day move her to Orthodoxy as well.

Was it anything specific that moved you to come to embrace Orthodoxy?
Regards,
Alexis

Christos Anesti !!

Thanks for your reply Alexis,

The main reasons that moved me to come to embrace the Eastern Orthodox Churches, were the baptism of my daugher and His Holiness Pope John Paul II.

Christos Anesti,ÂÂ  Alithos Anesti
Christus resurrexit! Resurrexit vere!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: