Author Topic: What is Sin?  (Read 4169 times)

Offline isxodnik

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: ROC
Re: What is Sin?
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2019, 11:09:07 PM »
If this question is addressed to me, and if I understand it correctly, the will of God is revealed to us in the Holy Scriptures - primarily the New Testament; explained by the Holy Church and the Holy fathers; and manifested in the circumstances of our lives.
«по [собственному] желанию восходить к сокровенным Божиим тайнам»

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2019, 04:27:30 AM »
Metropolitan Paul of ALeppo (Yazigi) wrote in one of his sermons "Sin is wrong understanding of God and wrong attitude of ours souls toward neighbour [i.e. other person]".
While "sin" and "wrong" is from the same root خ-ط-ء and sin is خطيئة (ẖaṭiʾa) and error is خطأ (ẖaṭʾ)and wrong is خاطئ (ẖāṭiʾ).
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Alpha60

• A thing of routers, hubs and switches, and dreary web GUIs
  • Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
  • OCNet Systems and Network Operations
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2019, 05:42:30 AM »
Metropolitan Paul of ALeppo (Yazigi) wrote in one of his sermons "Sin is wrong understanding of God and wrong attitude of ours souls toward neighbour [i.e. other person]".
While "sin" and "wrong" is from the same root خ-ط-ء and sin is خطيئة (ẖaṭiʾa) and error is خطأ (ẖaṭʾ)and wrong is خاطئ (ẖāṭiʾ).

Any news on his whereabouts and those of his Syriac Orthodox brother?

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.
The ancient ways shall prevail.

The sentiment of Nicea in Greek and Latin, translated into English.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2019, 02:32:47 PM »

Any news on his whereabouts and those of his Syriac Orthodox brother?

No, absolutely nothing :(
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)