OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 06:35:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: About Converting.  (Read 1798 times) Average Rating: 0
andromeda

« on: May 05, 2005, 06:45:18 PM »

Hello everyone. I'm an Agnostic.

Convince me to convert, I'd be interested in hearing what any of you have to say. Yeah.

-andromeda

NULL
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 07:02:47 PM »

Why are you here then?  Someone here tell you about this site or are you randomly trolling religious fora?  If you are honestly willing to listen, then welcome.
Milliardo
Saviour Gundam Pilot

Jurisdiction: Antioch

Saviour Gundam Pilot

Milliardo
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 07:25:53 PM »

Why are you here then? Someone here tell you about this site or are you randomly trolling religious fora? If you are honestly willing to listen, then welcome.

I think that's a good enough argument. If one is indeed called to conversion, then one naturally asks questions first.
QuoVadis

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 07:39:58 PM »

We as sinful human beings cannot convince you to do anything.

If you are truly interested in Christianity and Christ's salvation, then read the Bible. Reading the New Testament - and the words of Jesus Christ - will be enough to compel you to convert. It will be enough for you to see man's sinful state and their absolute need for salvation.

Once you have read the New Testament, you will no doubt have questions.  Then come back and ask about conversion and, by God's grace and mercy, we may be able to help you.

Smiley
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 07:43:25 PM by Katherine » Logged

"Without sorrows there is no salvation. On the other hand, the Kingdom of God awaits those who have patiently endured. And all the glory of the world is nothing in comparison." - St Seraphim of Sarov
Marjorie

OC.net

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 09:00:29 PM »

Convince me to convert, I'd be interested in hearing what any of you have to say. Yeah.

-andromeda

What do you expect us to say? There's no foolproof syllogism. If you're actually interested, go to a Divine Liturgy (we can direct you to one), come back, ask questions. Keep going. Ask more questions.

If it were like a math problem I could give you some tips, but there's a Person waiting at the nearest Orthodox church; we've met him. We'd like others to as well, but we can't 'convince' other people about him as if he were just words on paper.

Love in Christ,
Marjorie

"The land of God is wide and large enough to provide room for everyone if we are humans. If we act like brutes, then there will not be enough room even if there are only four of us."

- His Holiness Patriarch +PAVLE of Serbia
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2005, 09:10:35 PM »

-andromeda

We can't convince you of anything. You have to have your own encounter with God first.  That can happen at any time HE wants; it's not up to you.  Of course you have to be careful that you are not ignoring any signs he might already have thrown or be throwing your way.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2005, 09:20:19 PM »

Ask God, if He exists, to reveal Himself to you. And be prepared to take whatever He says.

A very holy monk was walking down the street in modern Athens. A young atheist came up to him and said, "Hey. Tell me one good reason why I should believe in God and I'll believe."

The monk paused for several moments, looked at the young man, said, "No," and kept walking.

Qui cantat, bis orat
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2005, 09:36:25 PM »

I'd be interested in hearing what any of you have to say.

Well, ok. Smiley I don't know if this describes you, but just in case here are some thoughts. Most agnostics I've met want people to define religion, or prove God. They might as well ask me to define love or prove that such a thing even exists. I can describe it, and I can't prove it. I can provide evidences and apologetics, but those play as much to believers as non-believers; they are at best a way of showing someone that something is not totally devoid of logic and rationality. But while I can talk about love, or religion, or God, in the end it's something you have to experience for yourself to truly understand. I think the above posts pointed to good avenues for exploration if you are interested in God.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
cizinec
High Elder

There ain't no way but the hard way.

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2005, 12:54:49 PM »

I'm with Marjorie.  Go to Divine Liturgy and talk to the priest.  Perhaps read Ware's "The Orthodox Church."  It's an easy read and shouldn't take longer than an afternoon or two.  You could also look over some beginners sites on the web.  I'm sure we could provide you with a list.

Once you have a sufficient point of reference we can discuss things online. 

Your request is a bit difficult.  It would be like me going on to a physics board and saying, "I don't know about String Theory.  Prove it to me."  I'd probably need to learn a bit more before I can expect to have this question answered.

We look forward to pointing you to a church and discussing these things with you in a month or so.

"Brother, your best friend ain't your Momma, it's the Field Artillery."
Philokalia
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat

Faith: Roman Catholic

Hail Mary Full of Grace

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2005, 01:00:34 PM »

-andromeda

Read the Sermon on the Mount, beginning at Chapter 5 of the Gospel of Matthew, and then ask yourself if you would like to encounter Jesus every day of your life.

Violence is a lie, for it goes against the truth of our faith, the truth of our humanity. Violence destroys what it claims to defend: the dignity, the life, the freedom of human beings. Violence is a crime against humanity, for it destroys the very fabric of society.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: