OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 03:02:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about Athanasian Creed  (Read 302 times) Average Rating: 0
Godspell
Arch-layman

Faith: Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical

« on: August 25, 2014, 09:28:16 PM »

Do Orthodox use or believe in the Athanasian Creed? If so...

In reviewing the Athanasian Creed, I have a question regarding its implications for faith and particularly for scholasticism.

Primarily I am wondering about the first line:

"Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith. Which faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled; without doubt he shall perish everlastingly. And the catholic faith is this..."

Now, what is worrying me is that I have come to understand that having a true or perfect understanding of God, is not only unnecessary but also impossible. For me, I've felt like the important aspect of faith is growth is understanding. So, how does this relate to the Creed?

Or, is this creed considered a deviation from the Orthodox faith emphasizing mystery?

Just as the thought of fire does not warm the body, so faith without love does not actualize the light of spiritual knowledge in the soul.

Just as the light of the sun attracts a healthy eye, so through love knowledge of God naturally draws to itself the pure intellect.

– St Maximos
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Hoplitarches

"Do not be afraid, Zechariah..."

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 10:19:53 PM »

Now, what is worrying me is that I have come to understand that having a true or perfect understanding of God, is not only unnecessary but also impossible. For me, I've felt like the important aspect of faith is growth is understanding. So, how does this relate to the Creed?

Or, is this creed considered a deviation from the Orthodox faith emphasizing mystery?

We cannot fully comprehend God, but there are things we can know about him because he has revealed them to us.  But that revelation, as we have received it, is not always self-evident.  For example, both Orthodox and Arians cited Scripture to support their beliefs.   

Leaving aside this particular Creed, the point of any Creed is to summarise our faith and what we can say about it or how we can express it, and in doing so it delineates the limits or the boundaries within which we understand properly.     

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
MalpanaGiwargis

Faith: Catholic, but Orthodox Inquirer

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 11:10:40 PM »

Do Orthodox use or believe in the Athanasian Creed?

I can't imagine any Orthodox using it, since it explicitly teaches the filioque: "Spiritus Sanctus a Patre et Filio: non factus, nec creatus, nec genitus, sed procedens" ("The Holy Spirit [is] from the Father and the Son: neither made, nor created, nor begotten, but proceeding")
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 11:14:05 PM »

Do Orthodox use or believe in the Athanasian Creed? If so...

In reviewing the Athanasian Creed, I have a question regarding its implications for faith and particularly for scholasticism.

Primarily I am wondering about the first line:

"Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith. Which faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled; without doubt he shall perish everlastingly. And the catholic faith is this..."

It has more polemical force against the Visigoths if it has that incipit line.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 07:20:38 AM »

This creed appears, for some reason, at the beginning of Russian editions of the Psalter (but without the filioque).

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 08:41:12 AM »

This creed appears, for some reason, at the beginning of Russian editions of the Psalter (but without the filioque).

Western Captivity!
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 01:01:04 PM »

The filioque was added to the creed later. This editing happened in several Western texts, including the ancient hymn for Pentecost, "Veni, Creator Spiritus."

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 01:22:29 PM »

The filioque was added to the creed later.
Do we have older versions without it?

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 02:17:23 PM »

Western Captivity!

"You'd better watch out, you'd better not cry..."

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: