Author Topic: Question about Athanasian Creed  (Read 371 times)

Offline Godspell

• Arch-layman
Question about Athanasian Creed
« on: August 25, 2014, 09:28:16 PM »
Do Orthodox use or believe in the Athanasian Creed? If so...

In reviewing the Athanasian Creed, I have a question regarding its implications for faith and particularly for scholasticism.

Primarily I am wondering about the first line:

"Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith. Which faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled; without doubt he shall perish everlastingly. And the catholic faith is this..."

Now, what is worrying me is that I have come to understand that having a true or perfect understanding of God, is not only unnecessary but also impossible. For me, I've felt like the important aspect of faith is growth is understanding. So, how does this relate to the Creed?

Or, is this creed considered a deviation from the Orthodox faith emphasizing mystery?
Just as the thought of fire does not warm the body, so faith without love does not actualize the light of spiritual knowledge in the soul.

Just as the light of the sun attracts a healthy eye, so through love knowledge of God naturally draws to itself the pure intellect.

– St Maximos

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Stratopedarches
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
Re: Question about Athanasian Creed
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 10:19:53 PM »
Now, what is worrying me is that I have come to understand that having a true or perfect understanding of God, is not only unnecessary but also impossible. For me, I've felt like the important aspect of faith is growth is understanding. So, how does this relate to the Creed?

Or, is this creed considered a deviation from the Orthodox faith emphasizing mystery?

We cannot fully comprehend God, but there are things we can know about him because he has revealed them to us.  But that revelation, as we have received it, is not always self-evident.  For example, both Orthodox and Arians cited Scripture to support their beliefs.   

Leaving aside this particular Creed, the point of any Creed is to summarise our faith and what we can say about it or how we can express it, and in doing so it delineates the limits or the boundaries within which we understand properly.     
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Mor no longer posts on OCNet.  He follows threads, posts his responses daily, occasionally starts threads, and responds to private messages when and as he wants.  But he really isn't around anymore.

Offline MalpanaGiwargis

• Māran etraḥam 'lay!
  • Faith: Orthodox inquirer
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 11:10:40 PM »
Do Orthodox use or believe in the Athanasian Creed?

I can't imagine any Orthodox using it, since it explicitly teaches the filioque: "Spiritus Sanctus a Patre et Filio: non factus, nec creatus, nec genitus, sed procedens" ("The Holy Spirit [is] from the Father and the Son: neither made, nor created, nor begotten, but proceeding")
Woe is me, that I have read the commandments,
   and have become learned in the Scriptures,
and have been instructed in Your glories,
   and yet I have become occupied in shameful things!

(Giwargis Warda, On Compunction of Soul)

Offline NicholasMyra

• Avowed denominationalist
  • Taxiarches
  • Nepsis or Sepsis™
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian+Greek
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 11:14:05 PM »
Do Orthodox use or believe in the Athanasian Creed? If so...

In reviewing the Athanasian Creed, I have a question regarding its implications for faith and particularly for scholasticism.

Primarily I am wondering about the first line:

"Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith. Which faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled; without doubt he shall perish everlastingly. And the catholic faith is this..."

It has more polemical force against the Visigoths if it has that incipit line.
Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

Πλούσιοι επτώχευσαν και επείνασαν
Οιδε εκζητούντες τον Κύριον
Ουκ ελαττωθήσονται παντός αγαθού

Offline Iconodule

• Uranopolitan
  • Taxiarches
  • "My god is greater."
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 07:20:38 AM »
This creed appears, for some reason, at the beginning of Russian editions of the Psalter (but without the filioque).
"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 08:41:12 AM »
This creed appears, for some reason, at the beginning of Russian editions of the Psalter (but without the filioque).

Western Captivity!

Offline Shanghaiski

• Taxiarches
  • Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 01:01:04 PM »
The filioque was added to the creed later. This editing happened in several Western texts, including the ancient hymn for Pentecost, "Veni, Creator Spiritus."
Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Avowed denominationalist
  • Taxiarches
  • Nepsis or Sepsis™
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian+Greek
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 01:22:29 PM »
The filioque was added to the creed later.
Do we have older versions without it?
Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

Πλούσιοι επτώχευσαν και επείνασαν
Οιδε εκζητούντες τον Κύριον
Ουκ ελαττωθήσονται παντός αγαθού

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
  • My borcht recipe is better than your borcht recipe
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 02:17:23 PM »

Western Captivity!

"You'd better watch out, you'd better not cry..."