OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 09:10:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Going through my Grandma's things  (Read 135 times) Average Rating: 0
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« on: September 08, 2014, 09:47:34 AM »

As some of you might know, my grandfather passed away in January, and we have been working on moving my grandmother. In the course of packing her up, I found 4 old family Bibles that no one wanted. I took two of them and looked online to find more about them.  It turns out that each of them are worth about a couple hundred dollars and have been in the family since the 1800's and were originally my great great grandfathers. This is kind of what they look like, except they are in english.

They are such beautiful books, I just wanted to venerate them as soon as I saw them, but I'm pretty sure my family would have thought I was crazy. The one is kind of in bad shape, so I'm going to take them to a book restoration place to see if they can repair it. I want to pass them down to my kids some day.  It is stuffed with articles of family members who have passed away and with clippings of important live events. I'm usually not a nostalgic person, but these Bibles just kind of instantly clicked with me as if I formed some sort of immediate personal attachment to those who used to own them.  Has anyone else ever had that experience?

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 11:15:27 AM »

Wow. That's really, really cool!!!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 12:52:35 PM »

Wowsers!

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 01:08:50 PM »

Has anyone else ever had that experience?

Yes.  I have several old bibles that exceed 100 years old, both in English and German.  I even have one that I think is in Polish.  Old service books also interest me.  Sometimes these old books clear up some misunderstandings.  Two of my old German bibles, including one huge one like you show that comes complete with a large picture of Martin Luther on the first page, contain the apocraphal books along with the Old and New Testaments.  One of the old German bibles has bible stories for children in the front that span the whole of the Old and New Testaments, and then the full text of the bible with apocraphal writings, along with other reference materiel.  These old books were designed to be used, not just decorate a coffee table.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 01:47:01 PM »

You might want take the clippings and put them in photo albums before they crumble.
Also, ask your grandmother and other older relatives for any info they remember about the folks in the clippings, and write it down.

Proverbs 22:7
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 01:57:20 PM »

I'm usually not a nostalgic person, but these Bibles just kind of instantly clicked with me as if I formed some sort of immediate personal attachment to those who used to own them.  Has anyone else ever had that experience?

I haven't come across anything so old, but I treasure the Bible which my father brought with him from India.  When I'm elected President of the United States and the UN General Assembly unanimously appoints me King of the Galaxy, I will be sworn in with that Bible. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 02:21:39 PM »

Nice!  Smiley  (Though I haven't had that experience)

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
DeniseDenise
Tiredness personified
Archon

Faith: Catechumen no more!
Jurisdiction: OCA

What curls do on a bad hair day!

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 03:24:07 PM »

photo albums are a bad idea for paper.

You need archival storage, so that the acid in the photo albums doesn't continue the damage

http://www.universityproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=1266&navTree[]=1266

I would recommend also either scanning (which does a bit of damage since it uses light) or taking a picture of the clippings....since they may be beyond long term saving and when they turn into dust you might want to remember what they said.

you want something like  http://www.universityproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=640

and then put -those- in a box (also acid free)

Please secure your own oxygen mask before assisting other passengers.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: