OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 21, 2014, 08:32:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mormonism and why it is an evil cult that needs to be stopped.  (Read 11204 times) Average Rating: 0
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2005, 03:49:35 PM »

I believe that one of the best ways of saving people from Mormonism is showing how it is based on silly lies.

And for that you have to actually address the real things that the LDS is based on.  But just saying "Your faith is based on silly lies" will convince no one but more then likely drive them away.  I have copies of the BoM, "Doctrine and Covenents" and "Pearl of Great Price" on my reference shelves because even you have be tell the truth about people you disagee with and not make up things.  So if needed, I can look up and address the *actual* writings and not what someone says it says.

Primary Sources!

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
CyberSponge
A cybernetic sponge

OC.net

« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2005, 04:29:42 PM »

matthew, you might as well give up.  They already are biased against you and I don't think they'll let any mistake you make slip by, or leave any of your assertions unchallenged.  For example, it was actually elisha who made a post earlier than you which was fairly childish and was basically calling mormons stupid, but since people aren't prejudiced against him like they are you, they ignored what he said but now find it worthwhile their time to chastise you over and over again, as though anything they'll say will affect you.  Not to mention the burning sacrasm that people constantly direct towards your way (remember everyone, the library of congress is keeping track of this site, if Christ's admonitions to love one another doesn't already faze you).  I'm not saying I agree with you on what you say, or that you aren't saying offensive things either....but don't expect them to like you because they've already formed an impression in their mind of your inner character...to them, you can do no right. Take a month off the board, find a good, mainstream Orthodox book, and spend that time reading it.  In the meantime, these folks would have found a new target (or an old one, like TomS) to direct their ire at.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2005, 11:30:47 PM by CyberSponge » Logged
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2005, 05:11:15 PM »

Now it makes me eager to investigate Mormonism, just to see if what happened to Anastasios is true. I'd like to investigate such things, because I strongly believe that to overcome darkness, one must first know the enemy. If such things really happened, then more than ever we must be careful of such cults.

You can only take this so far. Obviously God allowed that to happen to me for a reason. I am already more disposed to seeing this kind of stuff because I foolishly opened up my "nous" by evil methods when I was an occultist.  Although God mercifully shut it back up most of the way, I tend to be more perceptive still to this day in that realm.  Plus, God allows such visions for a reason and it's not automatic that you would be able to investigate Mormonism and verify my experience, which was quite personal and obviously directed towards me. I mention that experience because I think God allowed it to happen so I would tell others, but at the same time, I don't think it can be "verified."

Anastasios

Check out my personal website with 130+ articles: www.anastasioshudson.com

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Marjorie

OC.net

« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2005, 11:19:05 PM »

For example, it was actually elisha who made a post earlier than you which was fairly childish and was basically calling mormons stupid, but since people aren't prejudiced against him like they are you, they ignored what he said but now find it worthwhile their time to chastise you over and over again, as though anything they'll say will affect you.

Point taken. Forgive me, Matthew.

Marjorie

"The land of God is wide and large enough to provide room for everyone if we are humans. If we act like brutes, then there will not be enough room even if there are only four of us."

- His Holiness Patriarch +PAVLE of Serbia
Milliardo
Saviour Gundam Pilot

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

Saviour Gundam Pilot

Milliardo
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2005, 07:38:27 AM »

I am already more disposed to seeing this kind of stuff because I foolishly opened up my "nous" by evil methods when I was an occultist.

Interesting. I've also dabbled with it for sometime (particularly Wicca), but not very long (maybe just 1 or 2 years and then I quit, since I can't get past the fact that it's against my faith as a Christian), but you're right that somehow my "nous", as you call it, has been opened somehow. I'm afraid it can never bve fully shut, since once you open it, it will remain at least partly opened for the rest of your life. Hhm...maybe I'll open a topic about this one, and see who among here at one time or the other dabbled with such things, and how they got away or quit from it.
Seeker

« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2005, 01:29:19 AM »

Is a cheap-shot at the expense of another religion charitable?-� Suppose a Mormon should come here and read this.-� Addressing the points of the LDS truthfully is one thing and that person might at least read more and engage in discussion.-� But mockery might be more likely to just confirm that those who disagree with his church are not worth debating.-� It might even be along the lines of "They mock my church, that shows that I"m right, since the righteous are persecuted".-� -�

Just a thought.

Ebor

One of them has come here. I'm LDS. I have struggled with my faith, as have many. I can't believe the things I'm reading here. I hope this is not representitive of Orthodox Christians. Also, The Godmakers and Banner of Heaven have all been addressed and you can see the responses at www.fairlds.com. I'm not here to proselyte though. I came to learn more about your church, never realizing I'd be learning this.
Wowser

« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2005, 10:34:12 AM »

This site would be funny if it wasn't so scary.   Are you people really filled with this much hate for your fellow human beings or is it just Orthodox Halloween rites you have to go through every October?   My gosh.
Wowser

« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2005, 10:55:45 AM »

special underwear at all times. It is very interesting because it is so weird and because there are so many Mormons. How could so many people be duped into this.

I suppose you completely missed the delicious irony of making fun of someone's underwear while wearing an avatar of a  funny looking old man dressed up in a costume touching people.   Roll Eyes   At least the Mormons have the good sense to hide their funny clothes!   Is this where I talk about you being a demonic cult because you buy your clothes at the wrong church?   Help me out here.   I want to be a hatemonger, too.
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2005, 11:51:04 AM »

I suppose you completely missed the delicious irony of making fun of someone's underwear while wearing an avatar of a  funny looking old man dressed up in a costume touching people.  ÃƒÆ’‚ Roll Eyes  ÃƒÆ’‚ At least the Mormons have the good sense to hide their funny clothes!  ÃƒÆ’‚ Is this where I talk about you being a demonic cult because you buy your clothes at the wrong church?  ÃƒÆ’‚ Help me out here.  ÃƒÆ’‚ I want to be a hatemonger, too.

I don't believe anyone was preaching hate.  Sometimes people get carried away in an attempt to be humorous, and often, sarcasm is mistaken as anger.  I believe this to be especially true when discussions of faith arise.

Sorry if you were offended.

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2005, 12:37:42 PM »

I suppose you completely missed the delicious irony of making fun of someone's underwear while wearing an avatar of a  funny looking old man dressed up in a costume touching people.       At least the Mormons have the good sense to hide their funny clothes!   Is this where I talk about you being a demonic cult because you buy your clothes at the wrong church?   Help me out here.   I want to be a hatemonger, too.

Come on now; a particular style of outerwear is a matter of ones’ aesthetic taste - it maybe something new to you, and hence you find it strange or funny…however, special/magical underwear is a matter of ones’ sanity - this is self-evident to those who are sane, and hence requires no explanation.

Peace.

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2005, 12:54:57 PM »

I suppose you completely missed the delicious irony of making fun of someone's underwear while wearing an avatar of a  funny looking old man dressed up in a costume touching people.  ÃƒÆ’‚ Roll Eyes  ÃƒÆ’‚ At least the Mormons have the good sense to hide their funny clothes!  ÃƒÆ’‚ Is this where I talk about you being a demonic cult because you buy your clothes at the wrong church?  ÃƒÆ’‚ Help me out here.  ÃƒÆ’‚ I want to be a hatemonger, too.

I hate the evil I experienced when I visited a Mormon Church and saw demons and a missionary attempted to lure me into the church by sicking hot chicks on me.   Undecided

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2005, 01:00:02 PM »

One of them has come here. I'm LDS. I have struggled with my faith, as have many. I can't believe the things I'm reading here. I hope this is not representitive of Orthodox Christians. Also, The Godmakers and Banner of Heaven have all been addressed and you can see the responses at www.fairlds.com. I'm not here to proselyte though. I came to learn more about your church, never realizing I'd be learning this.

Here is a lesson.  We never know *who* might be lurking  and reading what we post.  Something to keep in mind...

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2005, 01:09:08 PM »

Here is a lesson.ÂÂ  We never know *who* might be lurkingÂÂ  and reading what we post.ÂÂ  Something to keep in mind...

Ebor

This presupposes the actions or posts of a few individuals speak for the faith.ÂÂ  I've recently been in a RC discussion forum, that is infinitely less charitable than this site.

In fact, I think the administrators and global moderators here, bend over backwards to keep things civil.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 01:11:48 PM by SouthSerb99 » Logged

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
Seeker

« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2005, 01:37:30 PM »

Come on now; a particular style of outerwear is a matter of ones’ aesthetic taste - it maybe something new to you, and hence you find it strange or funny…however, special/magical underwear is a matter of ones’ sanity - this is self-evident to those who are sane, and hence requires no explanation.

Peace.

What that poster said to you is out of line. It is my fault though, since I did post a link on an LDS forum for people to see what people here thought of them and for that I'm sorry. That thread was locked, and I've asked for it to be removed all together so no one else comes over here to start trouble.

That being said, I do wear temple garments. They are not "magic underwear" but only underwear with markings reminding you of covenents made in the temple. Yes, some will make rather odd claims about them, but accept them for what they are, wild claims. Every church has members with beliefs outside the mainstream. If anyone is claiming magic powers, they are outside mainstream.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 01:54:19 PM by Seeker » Logged
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2005, 01:49:37 PM »

This presupposes the actions or posts of a few individuals speak for the faith.ÂÂ  I've recently been in a RC discussion forum, that is infinitely less charitable than this site.

For someone who may not know EO or OO or RC or Anglicans etc etc in real life, why would actions or posts on-line *not* be seen as speaking for the faith when done by persons who are known to be members of one of those bodies?  Why would a person, not knowing much about another church, upon first reading mistaken remarks or cheap-shots about their faith by members of the other body *want* to meet such people in real life.  First impressions can be crucial. Who might be driven away by a mocking joke? 

What little ones might be offended?

I have seen RC fora like what you describe.  And I have seen EO fora/lists that are the same way.  and others belonging to other Churches. It is an unfortunate affect of the 'net, I suppose.  All manner of things are easily accessable.

In fact, I think the administrators and global moderators here, bend over backwards to keep things civil.

This is a much better forum then many out there.   Smiley

Ebor

SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2005, 01:59:20 PM »

For someone who may not know EO or OO or RC or Anglicans etc etc in real life, why would actions or posts on-line *not* be seen as speaking for the faith when done by persons who are known to be members of one of those bodies?ÂÂ  Why would a person, not knowing much about another church, upon first reading mistaken remarks or cheap-shots about their faith by members of the other body *want* to meet such people in real life.ÂÂ  First impressions can be crucial. Who might be driven away by a mocking joke?ÂÂ  

What little ones might be offended?

I have seen RC fora like what you describe.ÂÂ  And I have seen EO fora/lists that are the same way.ÂÂ  and others belonging to other Churches. It is an unfortunate affect of the 'net, I suppose.ÂÂ  All manner of things are easily accessable.

This is a much better forum then many out there.  ÃƒÆ’‚ Smiley

Ebor

I don't hold too much hope for anyone who hangs there religious hat on a discussion forum.ÂÂ  If I wanted to learn more about Roman Catholicism, I'd find many better sources than internet fora.ÂÂ  To me, this is a form of entertainment (and killing time at work - LOL).
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 02:00:23 PM by SouthSerb99 » Logged

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2005, 02:08:13 PM »

I hate the evil I experienced when I visited a Mormon Church and saw demons and a missionary attempted to lure me into the church by sicking hot chicks on me.   Undecided

"Extra Crispy" or "Original Recipe"?  Cheesy

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Zeezrom

« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2005, 06:22:48 PM »

Seeker wrote:
What that poster said to you is out of line. It is my fault though, since I did post a link on an LDS forum for people to see what people here thought of them and for that I'm sorry. That thread was locked, and I've asked for it to be removed all together so no one else comes over here to start trouble.

Too late. Grin

I'm not here to start trouble though.ÂÂ  I'm here to urge you to consider your fellow-poster Ebor's thoughts.ÂÂ  Remember the words of the Savior:

But whoso shall cause one of these little ones that believe on me to stumble, it is profitable for him that a great millstone should be hanged about his neck, and that he should be sunk in the depth of the sea.

Matthew 18:6

It is understandable that you fear Mormonism.ÂÂ  You do not understand it.

And as for Anastasios' experience when he went to church, it is the LDS Church, not LSD Church.ÂÂ  Next time don't drop before you drop in. Cheesy[/size]
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 05:11:53 AM by Zeezrom » Logged

"And this is my work and my glory, to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man."
Wowser

« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2005, 07:50:34 PM »

I don't believe anyone was preaching hate.ÂÂ  Sometimes people get carried away in an attempt to be humorous, and often, sarcasm is mistaken as anger.ÂÂ  I believe this to be especially true when discussions of faith arise.

Sorry if you were offended.

Offended.  ÃƒÆ’‚ I'm laughing my head off at the hypocrisy of "Christians" talking like the demon possessed girl in The Exorcist movie and feeling all warm and righteous.  ÃƒÆ’‚ This is not hateful,  huh?  It is just Orthodox humor?  Do they teach you this in a special catechism?  ÃƒÆ’‚ Okkkaayyyy

What to say when you get together with "Christian" EOs:

From these brief readings I am convinced that the Mormons are worshipping the Devil. Who else could lead people to do such insane evil things in the name of God.

I know from personal experience that the more you study it (and trust me, it can become obsessive because it's so fascinating and grotesque) the more it almost seems to possess you. I really think there is strong demonic influence there

Not meaning to be condescending but I always thought that the Holy Drawers thing was a little extreme.ÂÂ  I dont think there is a Drawer blessing service in Orthodoxy...is there?

"These Underpants are bless through the sprinkling of this....."

á ”hen I met a missionary who when he greeted me I could tell was possessed (literally, I don't exaggerate spiritual things) and his eyes actually rolled back in his head when he smiled at me (freaky).

To see that much of the presence of evil gives me chills even on this end of the computer.ÂÂ  Praise God that you are a Christian and were able to see such things for what they were.ÂÂ  That is truly frightening.ÂÂ  We so often look at the more rediculous aspects of the religion and forget the demonic and satanic influence of it and how that affects the Mormons' lives.ÂÂ  Thank you for sharing.

ÂÂ  Remember that the LDS person is blinded by the father of all lies

Basically what I got from Mormons by meeting this co-worker is that they are judgmental and racist.á ¥ven if rebuffed.

the temples of these groups are houses for demons, and that is what they worship and service - and the devil has a way of making the most degenerate, and (to even the most elementarily logical/rational mind) ridiculous things seem credible and worthy of our energies and devotion.ÂÂ  This is why the Scriptures make a link between sexual deviancy and idolatry.

I thought instead of having a Satanism Scare we should have a Mormonism Scare. Mormons are all over the place, believe in a god who lives on another planet and has a wife, and requires secret passwords and underwear for you to get into heaven. Who else could this god be but the Devil? Wouldn't have been better for Geraldo Rivera to have told people the dangers of getting involved in Mormonism?

My personal favorite indications of some pretty serious delusions of grandeur in your church (I mean, what else are we to conclude but that you guys consider this an intellectual exercise?):

your average Mormon (in my experience) has very, very little real understanding of what their church believes and teaches

But you do.  ÃƒÆ’‚ Cheesy Most Mormons who frequent websites could tie you up in knots, dear.  They not only know Christian history and the Bible, they can actually talk without calling in Satan and demons for back up!

To say that it is from Satan is to give a serious diagnosis and warning. Calling it 'moronic' just sounds like immature name-calling.

OK, that was seriously funny.  ÃƒÆ’‚  ÃƒÆ’‚Â

Supose a Mormon should come here and read this 

The dialogue here was so shocking it went up on a website that gets thousands of hits a day.  ÃƒÆ’‚ Trust me.  ÃƒÆ’‚ Mormons are reading this.  it is probably their first introduction to Eastern Orthodox.  ÃƒÆ’‚ Pretty pathetic.  I always thought of your religion as something with beautiful tradition.  I am sickened at the superstition and ignorance it obviously fosters beneath the pomp and ceremony.  

« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 07:53:30 PM by Wowser » Logged
Wowser

« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2005, 07:55:50 PM »

[quote author=Αριστοκλής link=topic=6042.msg96782#msg96782 date=1130436493]
"Extra Crispy" or "Original Recipe"?ÂÂ  Cheesy
[/quote]

You guys sure get a lot of visitations from demons. . .
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2005, 08:56:28 PM »

You guys sure get a lot of visitations from demons. . .

OK I am not trying to be sarcastic here, but that's what we believe happens when you have the right faith. We don't believe you guys have many experiences with demons as you are not the true faith. I'm not trying to be offensive, just honest.

And I was not dropping acid when I visited an LDS Church. Trust me.  Even if I were imagining the demonic activity I saw, I didn't image the missionary tell me straight up that if I went Mormon I can marry some of the hot chicks that were flirting with me non stop (not by my desire though!) Yes, maybe htat was one bad Mormon, but I am not the only person who has heard of love bombing.  Would you care to enlighten me if this activity is officially discouraged?

Anastasios

Wowser

« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2005, 09:22:41 PM »

OK I am not trying to be sarcastic here, but that's what we believe happens when you have the right faith. We don't believe you guys have many experiences with demons as you are not the true faith. I'm not trying to be offensive, just honest.

Am I understanding you to say that your church encourages visitations from demons...?    What I find astounding is that anyone in any religion would be so foolish as to start fingerpointing when every religion has absurd practices to an outsider.  The only way you can win at the "yuck yuck" method of persuasion is to take your message to teenagers or to attain enough political power to silence onlookers.

And I was not dropping acid when I visited an LDS Church. Trust me.ÂÂ  Even if I were imagining the demonic activity I saw, I didn't image the missionary tell me straight up that if I went Mormon I can marry some of the hot chicks that were flirting with me non stop (not by my desire though!) Yes, maybe htat was one bad Mormon, but I am not the only person who has heard of love bombing.ÂÂ  Would you care to enlighten me if this activity is officially discouraged?

Love bombing?  Aren't you getting your cults confused?  I believe that was a practice of the organization that used prostitution to bring in members.   I think it is safe to say that it is "officially discouraged".    Seriously,  I am worried that my IQ is dropping 5 points every time I have to answer these kinds of questions.   Are you not allowed to have any interaction with society outside of your own religion?

jlerms
High Elder

Jurisdiction: GOA

O sweet Jesus, cleanse my soul.

« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2005, 10:12:12 PM »

Excuse the intrusion.  I just wanted to say that even though I disagree with the theology the  Mormons and the CLDS, I still adhere to the call of Christ when he says to love our neighbor.  Wowser,  you must know that the internet is not the best way to get an understanding of Orthodox Christians(or any other religion for that matter).  So take heart in knowing that everyone who participates in this forum is not representative of Orthodox Christianity as a whole.  We are all sinners who struggle daily to follow our Savior Jesus Christ.  Please show compassion and forgive the ones who hurt you and your beliefs.  Keep praying and trust that God will reveal to you the Truth.    Best wishes,   Juliana  Smiley
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2005, 10:25:26 PM »

Am I understanding you to say that your church encourages visitations from demons...?  ÃƒÆ’‚  What I find astounding is that anyone in any religion would be so foolish as to start fingerpointing when every religion has absurd practices to an outsider.  The only way you can win at the "yuck yuck" method of persuasion is to take your message to teenagers or to attain enough political power to silence onlookers.

Sorry, I was not clear.  We believe that people in the true faith will have more negative experiences with demons (i.e. attacks and temptations) by virtue of the fact that demons don't need to attack persons in a false faith as much given that they are already in error and thus outside of grace.  I am not sure what you mean by absurd practices to the outsider though.

Love bombing?  Aren't you getting your cults confused?  I believe that was a practice of the organization that used prostitution to bring in members.  ÃƒÆ’‚ I think it is safe to say that it is "officially discouraged".  ÃƒÆ’‚  Seriously,  I am worried that my IQ is dropping 5 points every time I have to answer these kinds of questions.  ÃƒÆ’‚ Are you not allowed to have any interaction with society outside of your own religion?

The title comes from another cult (the Moonies I believe) but it is the same thing that I and others have experienced from Mormons.  You get sucked in by people acting overly nice and loving, which helps break down your barriers to the teachings.  My Mormon missionary aquaintence BLUNTLY and EXPLICITLY told me I should convert to Mormonism so as to have access to the "hot chicks" who "seem to like you."

As far as your IQ dropping: if you find it distasteful to answer questions from people who have had negative experiences with your Church, then you do not represent your faith well.  Your dismissive and elitist response is not appreciated.  I asked a very simple question: does your Church tell missionaries not to try to lure people in with promises of friendship, love, and social connections? Because if it does, the message didn't reach a lot of missionaries.

I am not sure what the heck you mean about interraction with members of society outside our own religion. I was able to visit a Mormon church, remember?

Anastasios

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2005, 10:28:19 PM »

Excuse the intrusion.  I just wanted to say that even though I disagree with the theology the  Mormons and the CLDS, I still adhere to the call of Christ when he says to love our neighbor.  Wowser,  you must know that the internet is not the best way to get an understanding of Orthodox Christians(or any other religion for that matter).  So take heart in knowing that everyone who participates in this forum is not representative of Orthodox Christianity as a whole.  We are all sinners who struggle daily to follow our Savior Jesus Christ.  Please show compassion and forgive the ones who hurt you and your beliefs.  Keep praying and trust that God will reveal to you the Truth.  ÃƒÆ’‚  Best wishes,  ÃƒÆ’‚ Juliana  Smiley

I don't think Wowser has exhibited any love towards us who are by his Church's standards ignorant of the truth and his and all Mormons' resposibility to evangelize.ÂÂ  I hope that he is not representative of Mormonism. (actually I know he is not because he is not like the Mormon friends I have had in my life with whom I had many fascinating discussions about theology [which is why I was visiting the Mormon Church that day when I had the evil experience]).

Anastasios
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 10:29:13 PM by Anastasios » Logged

SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2005, 10:32:23 PM »

Wowser,

Congratulations, you've managed to completely misinterpret what I said to you.  I was, if you couldn't tell, trying to offer an olive branch.  Your assumptions, and continual finger pointing aren't going to win you to many friends.

A second award of distinction is in order for misunderstanding Anastasios as well, who; (a) speaks from his personal experience and; (b) is amongst the most tolerant (and patient) people I've ever discussed anything with.  I think you should re-read our posts.

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2005, 11:33:19 PM »

Look at the title of this thread.  Replace "Mormonism" with another word, like say "Orthodoxy" or "Anglicanism" or <Your Ethnic Group here>.  Put the same word(s) in some of the posts.  How would it feel to you to see your own Church, or ethnic group or some other association that means a whole lot to you in somethings like what was written here last May?  ÃƒÆ’‚ Would you be angry?  Would you say "They know nothing about my church/ethnic group/etc but they say it must be stopped." ?  Could you laugh it off?  Would it make you want to be part of what the people saying those things were in?  

Empathy. Compassion.ÂÂ  Members of other Churchs are Human Beings too, with feelings and reasons and souls.ÂÂ  How does our Master want us to treat other People?  What love is shown to a passing LDS in this thread?  Why should love be expected from one after reading it?

Ebor
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 11:34:47 PM by Ebor » Logged

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2005, 11:40:29 PM »

I don't think Wowser has exhibited any love towards us who are by his Church's standards ignorant of the truth and his and all Mormons' resposibility to evangelize.ÂÂ  I hope that he is not representative of Mormonism. (actually I know he is not because he is not like the Mormon friends I have had in my life with whom I had many fascinating discussions about theology [which is why I was visiting the Mormon Church that day when I had the evil experience]).

Anastasios

Maybe Wowzer is hurt and angry. Why expect him/her to exhibit love where no love was percieved but instead derision?  Did you discuss "demonic' occurences with your RL Mormon friends? 

Ebor

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2005, 11:48:50 PM »

I don't hold too much hope for anyone who hangs there religious hat on a discussion forum.ÂÂ  If I wanted to learn more about Roman Catholicism, I'd find many better sources than internet fora.ÂÂ  To me, this is a form of entertainment (and killing time at work - LOL).

But not everyone is like you, SS. For some this may be their first toe in the water of EO. And if the first experience is bad, it is a very Human thing to not want to be exposed to it again: "Once bitten, twice shy." 

For you this is entertainment; for others it may be trying to get serious information.  They may not live in a place where there is any EO church or many/any books on it in the library.  They may have read one bit on it and want to know more and somehow end up here. 

We can't know how much a lurker knows or can handle.  But might it be better to lean to compassion rather then not having much hope?

Ebor

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2005, 11:55:31 PM »

I think Ebor has 'bee in bonnet' tonight...  Wink

I don't frequent Mormon, RC, or Anglican forums. Know better.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2005, 11:59:01 PM »

I am not sure what you mean by absurd practices to the outsider though.

Bowing and kissing a picture (icon) might look absurd to an outsider.  The administering of communion with a little spoon might be another example.  Some things in Anglican custom I'm sure look peculiar or just plain weird to those who don't know what it's all about.  Things we're familiar with aren't odd to *us*, but to someone who doesn't know what's going on, or has no fraime of reference they can look "absurd". ÂÂ

My Mormon missionary aquaintence BLUNTLY and EXPLICITLY told me I should convert to Mormonism so as to have access to the "hot chicks" who "seem to like you."

I am hearing in my mind a voice saying "hey, if you become Orthodox you can marry a beautiful <Ethnic Group here> girl!"
Probably from hanging around the Slavic Chorus too long.  Smiley

Ebor

SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2005, 11:59:37 PM »

But not everyone is like you, SS. For some this may be their first toe in the water of EO. And if the first experience is bad, it is a very Human thing to not want to be exposed to it again: "Once bitten, twice shy."ÂÂ  

For you this is entertainment; for others it may be trying to get serious information.ÂÂ  They may not live in a place where there is any EO church or many/any books on it in the library.ÂÂ  They may have read one bit on it and want to know more and somehow end up here.ÂÂ  

We can't know how much a lurker knows or can handle.ÂÂ  But might it be better to lean to compassion rather then not having much hope?

Ebor

Without beating a dead horse (I hope I'm not offending horses), but I don't put too much stock in the seriousness of the statement above.  Heck in the day and age of the internet, you can get volumes of reading materials about Orthodoxy with the click of a mouse button, but that is besides the point.

I was trying to be concilliatory, can't you see that???

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2005, 12:00:08 AM »

[quote author=Αριστοκλής link=topic=6042.msg96848#msg96848 date=1130471731]
I think Ebor has 'bee in bonnet' tonight...ÂÂ  Wink

I don't frequent Mormon, RC, or Anglican forums. Know better.
[/quote]

I'll try to chase it out, Aristokles. ÂÂ  Wink

Sorry,

Ebor

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #78 on: October 28, 2005, 12:02:32 AM »

No worries...is Internet.

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #79 on: October 28, 2005, 12:04:14 AM »

Without beating a dead horse (I hope I'm not offending horses), but I don't put too much stock in the seriousness of the statement above.  Heck in the day and age of the internet, you can get volumes of reading materials about Orthodoxy with the click of a mouse button, but that is besides the point.

I was trying to be concilliatory, can't you see that???

*I* can see that.  But it wasn't my ox being gored.  I found and read the thread over on the LDS forum about this thread.  The people there had, let's say, some very negative views of EO after reading this one.  It is sometimes hard to see concilatory after being mocked and derided, maybe.

Ebor

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #80 on: October 28, 2005, 12:05:00 AM »

[quote author=Αριστοκλής link=topic=6042.msg96853#msg96853 date=1130472152]
No worries...is Internet.
[/quote]

B's in the Internet?  I thought it was all 1s and 0s.  Grin

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #81 on: October 28, 2005, 12:38:44 AM »

B's in the Internet?  I thought it was all 1s and 0s.  Grin

1s & 0s ...symbolic representations only. Actually it's 'ons' and 'offs' or positive vs negative charges. Sort of a ying/yang thing  Cheesy

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #82 on: October 28, 2005, 12:40:45 AM »

[quote author=Αριστοκλής link=topic=6042.msg96858#msg96858 date=1130474324]
1s & 0s ...symbolic representations only. Actually it's 'ons' and 'offs' or positive vs negative charges. Sort of a ying/yang thingÂÂ  Cheesy
[/quote]

I know what's down there at the bottom level of our computers.   Wink

Yin/Yang?  So the Net is the Tao?  Heavy.   Grin

Ebor

Wowser

« Reply #83 on: October 28, 2005, 01:16:06 AM »

Excuse the intrusion.  I just wanted to say that even though I disagree with the theology the  Mormons and the CLDS, I still adhere to the call of Christ when he says to love our neighbor.  Wowser,  you must know that the internet is not the best way to get an understanding of Orthodox Christians(or any other religion for that matter).  So take heart in knowing that everyone who participates in this forum is not representative of Orthodox Christianity as a whole.  We are all sinners who struggle daily to follow our Savior Jesus Christ.  Please show compassion and forgive the ones who hurt you and your beliefs.  Keep praying and trust that God will reveal to you the Truth.  ÃƒÆ’‚  Best wishes,  ÃƒÆ’‚ Juliana  Smiley

Thank you for the thoughtful words.   I pray that God may reveal his truth to you, as well.
Wowser

« Reply #84 on: October 28, 2005, 01:25:09 AM »

Wowser,

Congratulations, you've managed to completely misinterpret what I said to you.ÂÂ  I was, if you couldn't tell, trying to offer an olive branch.ÂÂ  Your assumptions, and continual finger pointing aren't going to win you to many friends.

A second award of distinction is in order for misunderstanding Anastasios as well, who; (a) speaks from his personal experience and; (b) is amongst the most tolerant (and patient) people I've ever discussed anything with.ÂÂ  I think you should re-read our posts.

Seriously,  you guys must live on another planet.  I hope it isn't the one you say I am getting.   I'm really not aware of any place in America where sane people go around talking about experiences with demons while carrying around such stupid superstitions about other religions. Something like pot, meet kettle comes to mind.   When I start calling your religion satanic instead of you, that is when I will be fingerpointing.  Wink   Right now a group is gathered around this computer howling with laughter over the things some of you are saying.  I am cleaning cookie crumbs from my keyboard.  Do you believe in vampires?  Does Halloween scare you?    Oh,  John wants to know if your demons fly in black helicopters.
Wowser

« Reply #85 on: October 28, 2005, 01:38:08 AM »

Maybe Wowzer is hurt and angry. Why expect him/her to exhibit love where no love was percieved but instead derision?ÂÂ  Did you discuss "demonic' occurences with your RL Mormon friends?ÂÂ  

Ebor

Wowzer is having a good time watching this almost medieval display of bigotry and ignorance.  Oops.  That is redundant.  I just hope that you guys aren't allowed to play with matches when around other religions.   Ebor,  anyone can see that you are fighting a noble yet losing battle with this crew.   I am encouraged that there are two posters in here who probably do represent their religion with honor, however.

One question for the deep thinkers in here (I think my IQ is down at least 50 points by now).   This is a real important theological point.  Am I, as satan's spawn expected to show love?  You will have to explain to me why that is satan's job and not yours.

BOO!     Shocked   Cheesy   Grin
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #86 on: October 28, 2005, 01:41:04 AM »

What kind of cookies are you guys eating? Those 'special ones'?

Have fun here. I've a feeling you won't be around here for much longer.

Is there such a thing as a negative IQ?

Wowser

« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2005, 02:14:57 AM »

[quote author=Αριστοκλής link=topic=6042.msg96864#msg96864 date=1130478064]

Is there such a thing as a negative IQ?
[/quote]

Have you checked yours lately?   Wink 

I am certain I will not be around long.   Any board that allows hatemongering to this extent is not likely to be comfortable with it being pointed out.   
Nacho
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #88 on: October 28, 2005, 03:47:45 AM »

Anyone that wants to know about mormonism should watch a film called the Godmakers. Totally exposes Joe Smith for the fraud he was. He was so noble that he was shot in jail by a hoard of angry men who were pissed off at him seducing wives & young women to marry him, thats some prophet.... Roll Eyes  Also, the whole book of mormon is a joke. It reads as if it were written by a third grader with totally debunked geography and people. To this date not a shred of evidence can back up this pack of lies. I found myself in constant amazement that anyone could take such a shoddy piece of work so seriously after reading through it. Mormonism claims that it is the true faith restored, but it's just about the farthest thing from 1st & 2nd century christian writings/tradition and what the church believed at the time. Who the hell would believe in the first place that suddenly after 1900 years of darkness that some magical scrolls descend from heaven which bears the text of the book of mormon in 16th century english? It's nice to know God wasn't taking his sweet time or anything, lets thank the mormons for getting us back on the right track after 1900 years of heretics....... Grin

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Wowser

« Reply #89 on: October 28, 2005, 04:41:03 AM »

Anyone that wants to know about mormonism should watch a film called the Godmakers. 

Anybody that wants to know about EO should visit this website!  http://www.rasmusen.org/x/archives/623    What a surprise that you guys hate Jews.  Not.     Roll Eyes

Tags: heresy Mormonism Mormons 
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: