Author Topic: Can people be happy without religion/God?  (Read 1002 times)

Offline Skydive

• BANNED for rules violations
  • High Elder
Can people be happy without religion/God?
« on: August 19, 2014, 11:44:29 PM »
Can people be happy without religion and God, without any involvement in the religious movement/God, etc.. I am referring here secular people,social security and capitalism. People for whom secularism is all there is, driving the most expensive car, drinking the best drink, smoking the best cigarette, eating the best meal etc.. People who found enjoyment in this things and ground in them. Are there people who are self-sufficient, who don't need God and for whom life is great even without God?

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
Re: Can people be happy without religion/God?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 11:52:19 PM »
This is kind of a loaded question because I'm not sure how one would define the term "Happiness." What makes me happy may not make you happy or the man next door happy. I'd personally be happy with 5 or 6 blonde wives and an unlimited supply of cigars, but I doubt most other people would. I think that many people aren't happy because they've been sold this idea that they are miserable when in reality they are not. Maybe they are happy and just don't know it. Who the heck knows? In any case, to answer your question, I think I would have to say yes. God makes life a miserable burden. Anyone with half a brain knows that a secular life would be a billion times more fun than a life with God. The purpose of Christianity isn't to give us a good life--in fact, look at all that difficult stuff Christ says about how tough our lives will be--but to give us a good afterlife.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 11:52:29 PM by JamesR »

Offline WPM

• Holy Catholic Jesus, Intercede with God for us.
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: Catholic Pagan
  • Jurisdiction: United States
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 11:54:45 PM »
Can people be happy without religion and God, without any involvement in the religious movement/God, etc.. I am referring here secular people,social security and capitalism. People for whom secularism is all there is, driving the most expensive car, drinking the best drink, smoking the best cigarette, eating the best meal etc.. People who found enjoyment in this things and ground in them. Are there people who are self-sufficient, who don't need God and for whom life is great even without God?

There are rich and then there are poor
(I would rather have God when compared being rich) ... There are also poor.
Society is what it is
Lord have mercy 

« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 11:57:32 PM by WPM »

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 12:21:09 AM »
I am not. I have plenty of materialism and consumerism to go around. You won't be happy buying a bunch of useless garbage.
I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 12:29:20 AM »

In the first part, I would suggest babies and children with loving parents. However, according to the complete requirements, I would say perhaps, but that it would be hard/impossible to prove.
If you cannot remember everything, instead of everything, I beg you, remember this without fail, that not to share our own wealth with the poor is theft from the poor and deprivation of their means of life; we do not possess our own wealth but theirs.  If we have this attitude, we will certainly offer our money; and by nourishing Christ in poverty here and laying up great profit hereafter, we will be able to attain the good things which are to come. - St. John Chrysostom

Raylight

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 12:44:36 AM »

No! All that material stuff can be gone in a moment. We've seen it in the past.

Atheism may work in very rich and big cities where people are busy all the time and deluded by the modern lifestyle they have, but Atheism will fail dramatically once you go to poor country and realize what life really is. That doesn't mean religion is for weak people, what I mean is that some people get fooled by the technology and modern building and cars and all these material things and fool themselves into thinking that they are happy, but once they lose all that, THEN they realize that they weren't really happy in the first place.

How could you be happy while you are cutting yourself from the source of life ?

Offline Porter ODoran

• St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Toumarches
  • Monahos.net: "Lawful Evil"; OC.net: "Chaotic Evil"
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 05:54:37 PM »
"Happiness" is a term much obfuscated today; e.g., today social sciences and media seem more and more to make it a synonym for "monied." Taking happiness to mean blessed health, however -- contented health, if you prefer -- I do not think the modern way of life can nurture that. But modern life comprises many subtleties -- so that I think it will take generations to "feel the cut." And then whether more than a remnant of us can be saved, in that day when the truth of our unhappiness becomes apparent to us, I doubt.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Porter ODoran

• St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Toumarches
  • Monahos.net: "Lawful Evil"; OC.net: "Chaotic Evil"
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 05:56:17 PM »

This was the story of half the nursing-home population, who -- believe me, I've worked there -- are now in torments and humiliations you could only imagine.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Skydive

• BANNED for rules violations
  • High Elder
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 09:31:05 AM »
*BUMP

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • St. Gregory the Theologian Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox (former WR)
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Boston
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 09:46:28 AM »
Sure you can be. I know more than a few atheists that are happy. However, the end-all-be-all of existence is not happiness.

PP
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker