OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 06:59:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EO and OO Patriarchs of Antioch meet  (Read 3229 times) Average Rating: 0
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
Warned
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2014, 09:40:36 AM »

Well, this is most readily explained by the various comments after Metropolitan Philip's repose: "we need to become acquainted with the spirituality and ethos of Antioch, its saints, etc." For example, go to your average Antiochian parish and our bookstores will be selling books that are from every Church and Orthodox spirituality but Antioch.

That's a shame, when you guys have such a deep well to drink from in terms of patristics, hagiography, and modern scholars. I wish you well with your rediscovery of your treasures.

Oh, and I don't doubt that such things do happen in the U.S. (which I heartily agree with), but a number of priests will also likewise reject such things. Even bishops too, with all of them apparently ignoring our Patriarchate's agreements with the Syriac Church altogether. One bishop, according to Fr. John Morris' postings on here, explicitly viewed it as a non-active agreement and rather a hypothetical agreement for a future reunion (demonstrably mistaken from Syrian Antiochian bishops' comments on it themselves).

Yeah, that's kinda weird.  I've read and re-read that document several times, and I think that you'd have to make a willful effort to see it as a "non-active" or "hypothetical agreement for a future reunion".  Beyond any theological considerations, it seems chiefly concerned with the situation on the ground in that part of the Middle East.  It's very practical, pastoral and "right here, right now".  If hierarchs wanted to disallow communion between our churches in the US, their best bet would be to say, "Well, we're not in the Middle East facing mutual extermination so there's no pastoral need for that here..." but pretending that the collaboration and de facto communion spoken of in the document isn't actually happening right now as we speak is a stretch and frankly kind of silly.

My sins run out behind me and I do not see them, but today I am coming to judge the errors of another.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2014, 11:05:14 AM »

I think that the Antiochian Orthodox in the United States tend to be stricter on these matters because the seminaries here come from the Russian and Greek traditions. Metropolitan Philip went to seminary at St. Vladimir's, as I recall. They would have had a more traditional view of the "miaphysites" as not being Orthodox. Maybe I'm wrong?
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2014, 11:57:56 AM »

I think that the Antiochian Orthodox in the United States tend to be stricter on these matters because the seminaries here come from the Russian and Greek traditions. Metropolitan Philip went to seminary at St. Vladimir's, as I recall. They would have had a more traditional view of the "miaphysites" as not being Orthodox. Maybe I'm wrong?

That wasn't the impression I got.  St. Vlad's have an active partnership with St. Nersess, and they receive a lot of OO students.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 11:58:11 AM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Antonious Nikolas
Warned
Archon

« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2014, 12:29:38 PM »

Yeah, you're wrong.  I've just finished And He Leads Them and its clear from his writings that do mention the Miaphysites (no quotation marks necessary, unless they're also necessary in μία φύσις τοῦ θεοῦ λόγου σεσαρκωμένη) that Metropolitan Philip regards us as Orthodox.  Further, the leading Antiochian theologians in the States, like Fr. Michel Najim who is part of the official Oriental Orthodox/Eastern Orthodox dialogue, know that we're Orthodox and recommend the reestablishment of full communion.  As Mina has pointed out, St. Vlads does indeed have an active partnership with St. Nersess, receives many Oriental Orthodox students, even providing chapels for the Indians and Copts to pray there in their own rites.  Fr. John Behr (the dean) traveled to Egypt with H.G. Bishop Suriel and delivered talks there on Orthodox Theological Education in the 21st Century referring to the Copts as being part of "the Orthodox world" and addressing us as if we were Orthodox and as if his remarks about Orthodox theological education applied to us.  He didn't dance around the issue referring to us as "Eastern Christians" or act as if we were a group on the fringes of Orthodoxy.  Holy Cross doesn't have as many Oriental Orthodox students, but they do have quite a few, including H.G. Bishop David who graduated in 2013.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 12:30:43 PM by Antonious Nikolas » Logged

My sins run out behind me and I do not see them, but today I am coming to judge the errors of another.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2014, 12:34:16 PM »

Yeah, you're wrong.  I've just finished And He Leads Them and its clear from his writings that do mention the Miaphysites (no quotation marks necessary, unless they're also necessary in μία φύσις τοῦ θεοῦ λόγου σεσαρκωμένη) that Metropolitan Philip regards us as Orthodox.  Further, the leading Antiochian theologians in the States, like Fr. Michel Najim who is part of the official Oriental Orthodox/Eastern Orthodox dialogue, know that we're Orthodox and recommend the reestablishment of full communion.  As Mina has pointed out, St. Vlads does indeed have an active partnership with St. Nersess, receives many Oriental Orthodox students, even providing chapels for the Indians and Copts to pray there in their own rites.  Fr. John Behr (the dean) traveled to Egypt with H.G. Bishop Suriel and delivered talks there on Orthodox Theological Education in the 21st Century referring to the Copts as being part of "the Orthodox world" and addressing us as if we were Orthodox and as if his remarks about Orthodox theological education applied to us.  He didn't dance around the issue referring to us as "Eastern Christians" or act as if we were a group on the fringes of Orthodoxy.  Holy Cross doesn't have as many Oriental Orthodox students, but they do have quite a few, including H.G. Bishop David who graduated in 2013.

Some Copts for some reason preferred Holy Cross. I don't know why for the life of me, but they too seem open to OOs.

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee..."

« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2014, 01:08:23 PM »

Some Copts for some reason preferred Holy Cross. I don't know why for the life of me, but they too seem open to OOs.

Careful, Mina, you might get fired for making such comments.  Tongue

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2014, 01:12:20 PM »

lol!

It will be a misunderstanding to think my comments meant St. Vlad's > Holy Cross.  I would think both have the same quality of education.  angel

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2014, 01:58:35 PM »

As I've written about in at least one other thread, SVS has its pro-OO aspects (e.g., as far as the above goes, I think you are wrong) but also is careful in other respects to respect lines that have already been drawn and inherited. 

For example, I was welcomed to commune in at least one OCA parish in the geographic diocese in which SVS is located, and with the blessing of the local bishop, who was at the time the Primate.  And yet, I was not allowed at SVS even to function as the designated reader for Vespers because I was not EO.  Since SVS is a stavropegial institution, the Primate is its bishop.  Same bishop, two totally different policies.  I don't think the bishop is giving with one hand and taking with the other, I think the seminary feels obligated to maintain certain disciplines that a parish may not feel as obligated to follow, and I respect that.  But I think it would be a mistake to read more into it than that.

So my response to your comment, Alveus, would be this:

Maybe so as not to upset other EO jurisdictions in the US?

Except that I don't think it's a question. 

Also, there's a definite difference in my experience between "Arab" Antiochians and "American" Antiochians.  I've never approached the Arab priest at the local Arab parish about receiving Communion (I don't really go there too often), but every other Antiochian parish I've attended has been of the "American" sort (or at least has had an "American" priest), and I've always felt more welcome among the OCA than among them, whether or not communing was an option.  "Arabs", on the other hand, have always been more welcoming, more "OO are also Orthodox", etc. 

Antonious Nikolas
Warned
Archon

« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2014, 03:18:05 PM »

Also, there's a definite difference in my experience between "Arab" Antiochians and "American" Antiochians.  I've never approached the Arab priest at the local Arab parish about receiving Communion (I don't really go there too often), but every other Antiochian parish I've attended has been of the "American" sort (or at least has had an "American" priest), and I've always felt more welcome among the OCA than among them, whether or not communing was an option.  "Arabs", on the other hand, have always been more welcoming, more "OO are also Orthodox", etc. 

I was biting my tongue, but this. ^

You're right.  I've had the blessing of being in personal contact with a lot of Arab Antiochians of late and to a man (or woman), including the priests, their attitude has been "You're Orthodox.  Do you want to receive today?".  While the same has also been true from some of the "American" (read: Anglo) priests (especially those who are theologians, or who've been in the Church a long time), the few times I've been made to feel less than welcome was by the guy who something else a year and a half ago.  It's okay though.  It must be tough slogging through the whole "Protestant, Catholic, Orthodox...I'm home!" thing and then finding out there's also...US!  Grin

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2014, 03:31:48 PM »

the few times I've been made to feel less than welcome was by the guy who something else a year and a half ago.

LOL.  I know what you're talking about. 

It's okay though.  It must be tough slogging through the whole "Protestant, Catholic, Orthodox...I'm home!" thing and then finding out there's also...US!  Grin

In all seriousness, I agree.  Such people have changed so much that it must be frustrating to think you've finally made it home and then there's another option.  It's probably easier to believe we are godless heretics than to "start all over again".  I can sympathise.   

Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2014, 03:36:27 PM »

There are, thankfully, at least some non-Arab American Antiochians (a mouthful) that actually take a more authentically Antiochian position on OO's. I've mentioned here a couple times convert priests I know that commune Ethiopians/have Ethiopian altar servers.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 03:37:48 PM by Nephi » Logged
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2014, 03:49:39 PM »

It's okay though.  It must be tough slogging through the whole "Protestant, Catholic, Orthodox...I'm home!" thing and then finding out there's also...US!  Grin

In all seriousness, I agree.  Such people have changed so much that it must be frustrating to think you've finally made it home and then there's another option.  It's probably easier to believe we are godless heretics than to "start all over again".  I can sympathise.   

Agreed. I tended toward this view when I first started into Orthodoxy, but thankfully I recovered.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2014, 03:57:19 PM »

the few times I've been made to feel less than welcome was by the guy who something else a year and a half ago.

While I think you're Orthodox it's rather unfair to start psychologizing. They're wrong. Let's just leave it at that. It's actually possible to be wrong without having some underlying mental  issues.

Antonious Nikolas
Warned
Archon

« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2014, 03:58:01 PM »

In all seriousness, I agree.  Such people have changed so much that it must be frustrating to think you've finally made it home and then there's another option.  It's probably easier to believe we are godless heretics than to "start all over again".  I can sympathise.    

Yeah, me too.  I'm not really mad at them.  We're just an affront to their sense of everything being in neat little boxes.  They don't really have to "start all over again".  Just analyze the facts for what they are.  If the people who've received them into the Faith acknowledge our Orthodoxy, and have good, scholarly reasons for doing so (read Fr. Michel Najim on the subject), that should be enough.  If it's not, that's their problem, not mine.

There are, thankfully, at least some non-Arab American Antiochians (a mouthful) that actually take a more authentically Antiochian position on OO's. I've mentioned here a couple times convert priests I know that commune Ethiopians/have Ethiopian altar servers.

Absolutely there are!  I intimated as much above, but I make it a policy never to call out the names of any clergy I think I might "get in trouble" on these boards, whether that's a Coptic priest whose penchant for Evangelicalism gives me agita or a non-Arab Antiochian priest who's offered me the Eucharist.  Or even the ethnic OCA priest (and I won't say what ethnic) who shrugged his shoulders and told me bluntly, "I commune Copts" like he was wearing a t-shirt that said as much under his sticharion.  Cheesy

While I think you're Orthodox it's rather unfair to start psychologizing. They're wrong. Let's just leave it at that. It's actually possible to be wrong without having some underlying mental  issues.

Slow your roll, Alpster.  Who said they have "mental issues"?  I think Mor and I are both just speaking from our experiences and conversations we've had with certain folks in the real world (and, now that I think of it, here on these boards too...search for the "Battle Royale" thread from back in the day and the threads that necessitated its creation).  No one said anyone had "mental issues".
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 04:02:49 PM by Antonious Nikolas » Logged

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2014, 04:09:26 PM »

While I think you're Orthodox...

Thanks.  I will sleep better tonight. 

...it's rather unfair to start psychologizing. They're wrong. Let's just leave it at that. It's actually possible to be wrong without having some underlying mental  issues.

So you respond to "psychologising" with more "psychologising"? 

Exactly.  And what AN said.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 04:10:21 PM by Mor Ephrem » Logged

DeniseDenise
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #60 on: August 22, 2014, 04:10:36 PM »

Actually......aren't you Mor Orthodox?Huh??

CopticDeacon
Αναγνώστης(Reader) in the God-loving Diocese of New York and New England
High Elder

St. Macarius, the Spirit Bearer, Pray for Us!

« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2014, 04:35:41 PM »

Morthodox?

"I see the heavens opened up, and the Son of Man seated at the right hand of God"
-St. Stephen the Archdeacon and Protomartyr
DeniseDenise
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2014, 05:26:33 PM »

Morthodox?

only if you are one of those modernists...who like to make everything -shorter-...
kijabeboy03
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

"The glory of God is in man fully alive."

« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2014, 07:47:12 AM »

Likely part of it, and partially that in many ways we're almost just nominally Antiochian.

Please elaborate.  I'm genuinely curious as to what you mean by this.

I've been debating how much to hold my tongue - 'cause I don't want to cause trouble for you guys - but since this is the internet and no one will be able to identify who I'm talking about anyway - I know more than a few OO who say they've been welcomed to the chalice in Antiochian churches in the US, not under economia because their church was far away, but just because they were considered Orthodox by the priest.  I know one OO priest (not going to say which jurisdiction) who says he was invited to commune inside the altar at an Antiochian parish.  You guys are aces in my book.  Smiley

From what I've seen in the OCA in the USA and western Canada it's the same - most Oriental Orthodox are welcome to commune when they're there. I'm sure there are pockets of fundamentalism though...

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2014, 08:11:42 AM »

So you respond to "psychologising" with more "psychologising"?  

Exactly.  And what AN said.

I wasn't psycholozing anyone. Just saying that what you wrote wasn't exactly fair. Same kind of bad explanations could be applied and are regularly applied to us too.

Btw, is "psychologization" an actual word? I made that up while writing the post. With Finnish language it is fairly easy to construct new words* but I don't know whether that works in English.

*http://verkoren.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/finnish.jpg?w=705&h=544

Slow your roll, Alpster.  Who said they have "mental issues"?  I think Mor and I are both just speaking from our experiences and conversations we've had with certain foks in the real world (and, now that I think of it, here on these boards too...search for the "Battle Royale" thread from back in the day and the threads that necessitated its creation).  No one said anyone had "mental issues".

LOL. I like that. Maybe I should change my forum name.

As for the mental issues, it might have stronger connotation that I meant. Of course I wasn't speaking about actual mental illnesses but more like some unconscious thought processes or something. The idea probably didn't translate into English very well.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 08:15:06 AM by Alpo » Logged

Antonious Nikolas
Warned
Archon

« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2014, 10:23:55 AM »

I wasn't psycholozing anyone. Just saying that what you wrote wasn't exactly fair. Same kind of bad explanations could be applied and are regularly applied to us too.

As a general observation, you may have a point, but I think that Mor and I are most qualified to speak to our specific experiences.  One young man I spoke to at a post-liturgy coffee hour, for example, had gone through an arduous and gut-wrenching conversion process of seeking out the Church, moving from Protestantism to Catholicism and finally to Eastern Orthodoxy.  He was only marginally aware of our (Oriental Orthodoxy's) existence, and what he knew of us came from a few brief paragraphs in a dated EO book that had been instrumental in his conversion, which of course conflated us with actual Eutychian Monophysites.  He had no idea who we were or what we actually believed.  He thought that we thought that Christ's humanity was swallowed up by His Divinity like a drop of blood in the ocean.  This is honestly what he thought the Copts, Armenians, et cetera, believed.  It was clear from our conversation that finding out that this is not what we believe and that most of the others in his parish regarded us as Orthodox was a disturbing proposition for him.  He had found the true Faith, and our existence was a threat to that for him.

And then there's my old sparring partner Linus here on oc.net, but I'll let you look that up if you're interested.  Smiley

LOL. I like that. Maybe I should change my forum name.

Glad you like it!  Creating those kind of on-the-fly nicknames is just something we do in my part of the USA.  Smiley

As for the mental issues, it might have stronger connotation that I meant. Of course I wasn't speaking about actual mental illnesses but more like some unconscious thought processes or something. The idea probably didn't translate into English very well.

Good to know!  We certainly weren't calling anyone crazy, but I do think the kinds of insecurities I've mentioned earlier made themselves manifest in the conversations I was referencing.  It also seems that Mor experienced some similar things.  I don't think you have to psychoanalyze anyone to observe this, but your point is certainly taken.  We don't want to ascribe other motives to someone who may just be misapprehending our theology.

Stavro
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2014, 12:33:42 PM »

It's actually possible to be wrong without having some underlying mental  issues.

Not sure whether you actually meant it this way, but this is priceless.  Grin

In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)
Regnare
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA catechumen

« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2014, 01:50:21 PM »

He had found the true Faith, and our existence was a threat to that for him.
I'm sorry to hear so many of us multi-step converts have that problem. I actually ended up in the opposite situation: I was very glad to hear that the OOs actually have the same faith as the EOs, because it saved me the trouble of worrying about whether or not I had to go to some Syrian church a long long way away to find the true Church instead of going to the Byzantine one which was within walking distance.
It makes things so much easier to believe that the faith is the same, in fact, that I think another big part of the problem might be that a lot of Catholic-to-Orthodox converts started their search because of the ecumenical and modernistic excesses of Rome (which then, hopefully, inspired them to look into the real theological reasons for converting), and are therefore highly suspicious of anything that might look like ecumenism or modernism in the Orthodox church. It's the same reason that they we get worried about stuff like the calendar issue. The move towards union with the OOs (about whom we usually know nothing) makes us worry that we're going to end up in a church as compromised as the one we left.
xOrthodox4Christx
Protokentarchos

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2014, 02:14:33 PM »

He had found the true Faith, and our existence was a threat to that for him.
I'm sorry to hear so many of us multi-step converts have that problem. I actually ended up in the opposite situation: I was very glad to hear that the OOs actually have the same faith as the EOs, because it saved me the trouble of worrying about whether or not I had to go to some Syrian church a long long way away to find the true Church instead of going to the Byzantine one which was within walking distance.
It makes things so much easier to believe that the faith is the same, in fact, that I think another big part of the problem might be that a lot of Catholic-to-Orthodox converts started their search because of the ecumenical and modernistic excesses of Rome (which then, hopefully, inspired them to look into the real theological reasons for converting), and are therefore highly suspicious of anything that might look like ecumenism or modernism in the Orthodox church. It's the same reason that they we get worried about stuff like the calendar issue. The move towards union with the OOs (about whom we usually know nothing) makes us worry that we're going to end up in a church as compromised as the one we left.

I think it's a far better approach than the Roman approach which is to legitimatize all "Christian" sects and then enter into hyper-ecumenism with them. With OOs and EOs, the Ecumenist approach is far more limited, and unlike Rome, it isn't established Church norm.

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
Antonious Nikolas
Warned
Archon

« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2014, 04:05:33 PM »

That's a nice way to look at it.  Smiley

This makes sense until a given convert shoots their mouth off accusing us of being Monophysites, someone asks them to actually examine our theology and the findings of the official EO/OO dialogue, and they still refuse to adjust their position in spite of all evidence to the contrary because some of the books they read when they were still cutting their teeth - the same books that lead them away from the errors of the Protestantism and Rome - conflate us with actual Monophysites.  As I've said, I'm not mad at them.  I'm sure in some ways the idea that there are millions of Orthodox Christians who are presently not in communion with the EP and company - and that the EO are NOT the Orthodox Church all by themselves -  is a lot to take in.

I think it's a far better approach than the Roman approach which is to legitimatize all "Christian" sects and then enter into hyper-ecumenism with them. With OOs and EOs, the Ecumenist approach is far more limited, and unlike Rome, it isn't established Church norm.

Agreed 100%.  Also, it's based on an actual unity of Faith.

Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2014, 08:43:54 PM »

I've translated John X's words of welcome to Ephrem II here: http://araborthodoxy.blogspot.com/2014/08/patriarch-john-xs-words-of-welcome-to.html

My brother, Your Holiness and Beatitude Patriarch Mar Ignatius Ephrem II Karim,
My brothers the bishops and priests,
People of the Syriac and Greek Church of Antioch who are one and great in their faith and ardent zeal,
Beloved and neighbors of Saint Ephrem,
My beloved who are gathered here under the shelter of Saint George the Victory-Bearer,

Smiley

Going back to the early posts in this thread, particularly to the words of His Beatitude John, I'm reminded of a conversation that I had, back in the early to mid-90s, with then-Patriarch of the Melkites, His Beatitude Maximos V Hakim, of blessed memory, during one of his pastoral visits to the US. At the time, there were rumors and rumbling, among both EC and EO in the diaspora, about how much and what sorts of 'collaboration' were ongoing in the Middle East between and among Catholic and Orthodox Churches. I asked His Beatitude about the matter. He replied (the first two sentences and the final sentence are exact quotes, the remainder is an extremely close paraphrase that I scribbled down that evening and saved):

"To be a patriarch of Antioch is to belong to a very exclusive club. Each is responsible for those of his Church but, looking back, all are very aware of our common faith bloodlines and know that we cannot morally allow the children of our brothers to go physically, mentally, or spiritually un-nourished, real risks in our part of the world."

(paraphrasing) 'So, you see, it is easy for those who are without such worry in their lives to criticize what we quietly do to assure pastoral care to our divided peoples, but it is we members of this club whom God will hold accountable for having provided for His children. We meet often, quietly, some or all of us, to inquire after the needs of one another's brethren, to offer resources to one another's children, and to explore what we can collectively do to assure the survival of Christ's faith - which is our shared faith, no matter what differences remain unresolved.'  

"Those who criticize us would do well to ask what they've done to nourish the bodies, minds, and souls of their spiritual cousins"

Many years,

Neil
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 08:44:29 PM by Irish Melkite » Logged

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
lovesupreme
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2014, 03:27:21 PM »

I think the only way to reunion is to start it at the local level, and with cautious reserve. Each Church's leadership needs to approve of this, but they by no means need to apply this "ecumenism" to the entirety of their respective communions. We see an excellent example of this with our two Churches based in Antioch.

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2014, 10:01:28 AM »

I never found it frustrating, but I will admit to being suprised when I finally realized that I tend to be partial to the OO thought process on Chalcedon as opposed to the EO position.   I would probably have some inner turmoil about my decision to stick with EO except for the fact that I view both to be fully Orthodox. I do feel a bit uncomfortable when the 9th Sunday after Pentecost rolls around though.  Tongue

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2014, 05:28:44 PM »

I never found it frustrating, but I will admit to being suprised when I finally realized that I tend to be partial to the OO thought process on Chalcedon as opposed to the EO position.   I would probably have some inner turmoil about my decision to stick with EO except for the fact that I view both to be fully Orthodox. I do feel a bit uncomfortable when the 9th Sunday after Pentecost rolls around though.  Tongue

Just replace "tend to be partial to" with "more or less fully side with," and there you (or I, rather) go - inner turmoil.

Wink
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2014, 08:53:19 PM »

Just replace "tend to be partial to" with "more or less fully side with," and there you (or I, rather) go - inner turmoil.

Wink
Don't do it! It might be enticing, but remember, it is:

Tongue

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #75 on: August 25, 2014, 09:39:19 PM »

Wink
Don't do it! It might be enticing, but remember, it is:

Tongue

Well...

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: