OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 17, 2014, 05:51:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Service Books  (Read 959 times) Average Rating: 0
QuoVadis

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« on: May 02, 2005, 12:46:40 AM »

I've been a Russian Orthodox convert now for over three years.  My Dad's family are Russian Orthodox, but I didn't grow up, sadly, in the OC - but grew up attending Protestant churches.  Anyway, putting the history aside - our services are 95% served in Slavonic.  I'm beginning to now understand the Liturgy, but have little understanding of what's going on in other services.  For example, last week - Holy Week.  I greatly appreciate and very much love the services, and attended anyway, even though my understanding is very limited.

My question is - is there a special name for these services and are there books available in English for these services?  I mean, I know they were Vespers and Matins etc., but surely they were specified particularly for Holy Week.

What are the service books used?

"Without sorrows there is no salvation. On the other hand, the Kingdom of God awaits those who have patiently endured. And all the glory of the world is nothing in comparison." - St Seraphim of Sarov
MsGuided
Pharmakolytria
Elder

St. Anastasia

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 01:14:23 AM »

You'll have to pardon me if I'm wrong or if this is not what you're looking for, but I believe the services during Lent can be found in the Lenten Triodion and the services for Pascha through Pentecost are in the Pentecostarion.  Huge books, many volumes, probably quite an endeavour to buy them all.

Anastasia

"Forgive me that great love leads me to talking nonsense." Barsanuphius
Tikhon29605
High Elder

May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 11:33:20 AM »

All the Holy Week services in the OCA have been translated into English and are available in small, inexpensive paperback booklets for EVERY DAY of Holy Week. Just call St. Vladimir's Bookstore and tell them you want to order a set of Holy Week booklets. Its really great to study these services in depth and learn more about our faith.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: