OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 10:22:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coptic Paschal Greeting  (Read 2227 times) Average Rating: 0
MsGuided
Pharmakolytria
Elder

St. Anastasia

« on: May 01, 2005, 01:46:42 PM »

I've got a quick question...how do those of you in the Coptic Church greet each other at Pascha? Is it in Arabic with Al Maseeh Qam! Haqqan Qam! or in Sahidic Coptic with Christos Aftooun! Alethos Aftooun!  or is it something entirely different?

There are a lot of Coptic students at my school, I wouldn't want to confuse anyone by greeting them with something they don't say Smiley

Many thanks,
Christ is Risen!

Anastasia

"Forgive me that great love leads me to talking nonsense." Barsanuphius
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 02:01:01 PM »

Ekhristos aftonf is the Coptic expression for Christ is Risen - and you got the arabic right as well, but for some reason the usual greeting between Copts is said in Greek (except with a distorted kind of pronounciation with the “ekh” in front instead of a clean "Ch"): Ekhristos Anesti. The Greek is also the one chanted during the Easter Liturgy for some reason.

Indeed He is Risen.

Peace.

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
SaintShenouti

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 02:09:21 PM »

Christ is risen! 

The Coptic is "Kristos Aftonf" with the response "Khen omethmi aftonf,"  which is to say, "Christ is risen" and "In truth risen."  The word "Pi" (pronounced pee) is sometimes placed before Kristos, which means "the."

Our beloved church of Alexandria inherited the Greek from what was then the dominant culture of the region.  Thanks to the efforts of people such as Abba Shenouti the Archimandrite, what was native Egyptian culturally and linguistically was separated from the Hellenistic.  Some things are best kept in their original form however, as several chants in the Coptic Orthodox Church remain in Greek.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2005, 02:12:46 PM by SaintShenouti » Logged
Tags: Pascha Coptic Orthodox Church greetings 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: