OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 01:43:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fr Dr V C Samuel to be Commemorated by Indian Orthodox Youth Movement  (Read 1248 times) Average Rating: 0
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

St. Hripsimeh pray for us!

« on: November 13, 2013, 02:23:12 AM »

OCYM Abu Dhabi is organising “Gurusmarana” – Vaidikarude Vaidikan Fr. Dr. V.C Samuel Anusmaranam” - a programme in memoriam to Fr. Dr. V.C Samuel, the greatest Christologian of 20th Century on 15th November 2013 after the Divine Liturgy at St George Orthodox Cathedral, Abu Dhabi.

http://theorthodoxchurch.info/blog/news/2013/11/fr-dr-v-c-samuel-to-be-commemorated-by-indian-orthodox-youth-movement/

I think Fr. Dr. Samuel was the one who wrote The Council of Chalcedon Re-Examined.  He is an amazing author.  I'm glad he is being commemorated.

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 02:27:42 AM »

Axios! Axios! Axios! Peniot VC Samuel PiHegumenous (i think he was a hegumen).

May his memory be eternal!

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
sheenj
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 09:42:30 AM »

Lord, grant good remembrance to thy faithful servant!
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 11:10:01 AM »

I think Fr. Dr. Samuel was the one who wrote The Council of Chalcedon Re-Examined.  He is an amazing author.  I'm glad he is being commemorated.

He was, and his book should be required reading for anyone, on any side of the issue, seeking to truly understand what happened.

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 12:22:42 PM »

He looks like a Russian priest to me. Maybe he was a closet-Chalcedonian after all.
sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 12:49:30 PM »

He looks like a Russian priest to me. Maybe he was a closet-Chalcedonian after all.

TIL wearing a cross makes you look like a Russian priest. Tongue
Antonious Nikolas
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 12:50:52 PM »

Read his book and then tell me what you think.  Imelda Marcos never had a closet that deep.  Wink

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 12:54:46 PM »

Exorasson, beard, cross and kamilavka surely does.
The least of all

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox church in Canada

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 12:58:53 PM »

Fr. V.C. Samuel was an Orthodox Priest and a God-send. May his prayers be for us all Smiley.
sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 01:04:40 PM »

Exorasson, beard, cross and kamilavka surely does.

Is there any Orthodox church that doesn't have those four as part of their clerical attire? I know Copts and Armenians have a similar "street wear" for their priests, the only major difference I can think of being slightly different kamilavkas.

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 01:18:31 PM »

Is there any Orthodox church that doesn't have those four as part of their clerical attire? I know Copts and Armenians have a similar "street wear" for their priests, the only major difference I can think of being slightly different kamilavkas.

That's new to me. Is it hellenization or just geneal Eastern tradition?
sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 02:23:46 PM »

I'm not sure but I would tend to go with general Eastern tradition in this case.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 02:25:33 PM »

I'm curious: what kind of clothing did you think our clergy wore? 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 02:29:28 PM »

I don't know. Maybe something more colorful? Something not so seemingly Byzantine at least.
sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, 02:34:40 PM »

I don't know. Maybe something more colorful? Something not so seemingly Byzantine at least.

I think the only colorful clerical attires we have are Syriac-rite bishops who wear red cassocks in their own jurisdictions. Other than that it's pretty much all black except for India, where white is sometimes used because of the heat.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 02:36:05 PM by sheenj » Logged
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2013, 03:56:06 PM »

One of my seniors in seminary is a priest whose good friend (a fellow classmate) is now a Finnish priest.  When he wears a black rasso, hat, and cross, ought I question why he's dressed like an Indian?  Tongue

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2013, 04:42:52 PM »

One of my seniors in seminary is a priest whose good friend (a fellow classmate) is now a Finnish priest.  When he wears a black rasso, hat, and cross, ought I question why he's dressed like an Indian?  Tongue

Why of course. Ethnic disputes are fun. There are even Olympics of Orthodox Unity in Jerusalem every year.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 04:44:37 PM by Alpo » Logged
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2013, 04:55:58 PM »

I love those Olympics!

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2013, 11:54:04 PM »

One of my seniors in seminary is a priest whose good friend (a fellow classmate) is now a Finnish priest.  When he wears a black rasso, hat, and cross, ought I question why he's dressed like an Indian?  Tongue

Why of course. Ethnic disputes are fun. There are even Olympics of Orthodox Unity in Jerusalem every year.
You've just entered the hall of fame of quotable quotes.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2013, 01:18:14 PM »

"Twain shall Meet" Book on Fr. Dr. V. C. Samuel released by Dr. Yakob Mar Iraneos at Abu Dhabi

Abu Dhabi: Fr. V. C. Jose Chemmanam, Vicar, St. George Cathedral, Abu Dhabi compiled the unpublished articles on and by Fr. Dr. V. C Sameul, renown Church Theologian who bridged the gulf of fifteen hundred years in World Christianity since 451 A. D. after the Council of Chalcedon. The compilation which is christened as 'The Twain shall meet" was a dream project of Fr. Jose in connection to his 25th year of Priestly Ordination.

http://catholicatenews.in/catagories/item/1671-twain-shall-meet-book-on-fr-dr-v-c-samuel-released-by-dr-yakob-mar-iraneos-at-abu-dhabi

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2013, 05:54:59 PM »

"Twain shall Meet" Book on Fr. Dr. V. C. Samuel released by Dr. Yakob Mar Iraneos at Abu Dhabi

Abu Dhabi: Fr. V. C. Jose Chemmanam, Vicar, St. George Cathedral, Abu Dhabi compiled the unpublished articles on and by Fr. Dr. V. C Sameul, renown Church Theologian who bridged the gulf of fifteen hundred years in World Christianity since 451 A. D. after the Council of Chalcedon. The compilation which is christened as 'The Twain shall meet" was a dream project of Fr. Jose in connection to his 25th year of Priestly Ordination.

http://catholicatenews.in/catagories/item/1671-twain-shall-meet-book-on-fr-dr-v-c-samuel-released-by-dr-yakob-mar-iraneos-at-abu-dhabi

That is awesome…I'll keep an eye out on amazon when it comes out (unless it's already out elsewhere?)

CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2013, 08:48:47 AM »

That is awesome…I'll keep an eye out on amazon when it comes out (unless it's already out elsewhere?)

I assume it'll be published in India. Maybe someone with a connection to the old country....

Help us Mor, you're our only hope <-c'mon, if that's not sig material!

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2013, 09:17:20 AM »

Help us Mor, you're our only hope <-c'mon, if that's not sig material!

LOL, are you intentionally trying to get into my sig?  Let all faithful OCNetters follow your good example.  Smiley

I also presume it will be published in India and most likely not available on Amazon.  I'll see what I can figure out in terms of how to get the book.  But we do have other Indians here who actually live there, so I hope they will chime in as well. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2013, 06:43:22 PM »

I'm going to India this January for a cousin's wedding so I can stop by some bookstores to see if it's available.
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2013, 08:46:18 AM »

I'm going to India this January for a cousin's wedding so I can stop by some bookstores to see if it's available.

Wonderful. If it's not too much trouble and you happen to find it, please purchase a copy for me. I'll, of course, pay you for the book & shipping expenses. Enjoy your time there!

Help us Mor Sheenj, you're our only hope  Grin

The least of all

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox church in Canada

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2013, 09:33:51 AM »

Same here!!
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2013, 11:36:51 AM »

Add me to the list!

sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2013, 11:56:52 AM »

All right, I'll be sure to take a look around the bookstores I know. No guarantees on anything though. Tongue
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2013, 03:38:43 PM »

Maybe you should just buy a box of fifty and run your own fundraiser, sheenj.  Tongue

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2013, 04:44:59 PM »

Maybe you should just buy a box of fifty and run your own fundraiser, sheenj.  Tongue

Please, I'm going with my parents. There's no way we would have enough space in our 8 suitcases for those all those books. As it is right now, I'll probably have to smuggle some books on my person in order to stay under the maximum allotted weight.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 04:45:14 PM by sheenj » Logged
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2013, 04:49:14 PM »

If you ever meet the person putting together this book, tell him to make it available online, or sell it online.  Why talk about it and not make it available?  Why must he kill us with the suspense of the writings of Fr. VC Samuel? Whyyyyyyyyyy…

But if you can smuggle them that would suffice too  Grin

CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2013, 04:55:45 PM »

Sheenj, in that case, nevermind. I know how much of pain it is to travel is now. The last thing you need is to lug around a bunch of books.

I'm sure there will be some Indian Churches here that will eventually get copies to sell. Thank you & do have a great time.

sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2013, 05:11:17 PM »

Sheenj, in that case, nevermind. I know how much of pain it is to travel is now. The last thing you need is to lug around a bunch of books.

I'm sure there will be some Indian Churches here that will eventually get copies to sell. Thank you & do have a great time.

Oh don't worry, I was just making a joke about how Indians like my parents try stuff the two pieces of free luggage allotted to the maximum. We'll definitely have enough space on the return trip for 3 books.  Smiley
Antonious Nikolas
OC.net guru

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2013, 06:28:00 PM »

Oh don't worry, I was just making a joke about how Indians like my parents try stuff the two pieces of free luggage allotted to the maximum. We'll definitely have enough space on the return trip for 3 books.  Smiley

Can we make it four, please?

minasoliman
Section Moderator
Merarches

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2013, 06:37:20 PM »

I got an idea. If you can get permission from the author, perhaps you can scan and upload it. Or I can do it if too much work.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: