Author Topic: Early well wishes for Pascha!  (Read 2077 times)

Offline SouthSerb99

• Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
  • Now Internet Forum Friendly
    • Save Kosovo
Early well wishes for Pascha!
« on: April 28, 2005, 08:46:36 PM »
Not sure this is the right place to have started this thread, but my wife and I will be leaving to be with my parents for Pascha and I will not be near a computer to offer my well wishes to you all.

So whatever turns your crank... be Happy Easter, Christ is Risen (yes I know I'm early but I'm trying to be thoughtful...lol)... or for my Serbs and Serbian Orthodox....

HRISTOS VOS KRESE!!!
"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here

Offline eliasmok

• a pure heart grant me O Lord
Re: Early well wishes for Pascha!
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 05:55:43 PM »
CHRIST IS RISEN.

Offline SiviSokol

• Tamburica u mom srcu
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 06:04:05 PM »
Voistinu Voskrese, Brale!

Offline jmbejdl

• Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
  • OC.net guru
  • Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 03:50:00 AM »
Hristos a-nviat!
We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos

Offline ania

• Life according to Abe Simpson:
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 10:06:40 AM »
Well, it's been since last Thursday that I've been on line, so I think i should tip my hat to everyone & say XPUCTOC BOCKPECE!
Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

Offline MsGuided

• Pharmakolytria
  • Elder
  • St. Anastasia
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 10:28:28 AM »
Adevarat a inviat! (Learned that one the hard way!)
"Forgive me that great love leads me to talking nonsense." Barsanuphius

Offline jmbejdl

• OC.net guru
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005, 10:48:46 AM »
Adevarat a inviat! (Learned that one the hard way!)

What's the hard way? Oh, and it's easier to pronounce (and more normal) if you write it 'a-nviat'. '+Ä' is a strange sound, and quite difficult to say fluently after 'a'. Strangely, in my wife's region (where I learnt Romanian) they usually say the response as 'Adev-ârat c-â a-nviat', but most Romanians from other areas seem to drop the 'c-â'.

James
We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos

Offline MsGuided

• Pharmakolytria
  • Elder
  • St. Anastasia
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2005, 10:56:32 AM »
I write more in a sense of transliterations, since i wouldn't even guess how to pronounce things otherwise!  The hard way was when our Romanian priest shouted the Paschal greetings in Slavonic, Greek and English with fervent replies from the congregation.  He snickered when he greeted us loudly in Romanian and NO ONE knew how to respond!  We attacked him after the services asking him to let us in on how to respond to him in Romanian so we don't make fools of ourselves next year :)
"Forgive me that great love leads me to talking nonsense." Barsanuphius

Offline jmbejdl

• OC.net guru
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2005, 11:01:35 AM »
I write more in a sense of transliterations, since i wouldn't even guess how to pronounce things otherwise! The hard way was when our Romanian priest shouted the Paschal greetings in Slavonic, Greek and English with fervent replies from the congregation. He snickered when he greeted us loudly in Romanian and NO ONE knew how to respond! We attacked him after the services asking him to let us in on how to respond to him in Romanian so we don't make fools of ourselves next year :)

Well, for reference, +« is pronounced roughly half way between 'i' (like the i in pin) and '-â' (like the e in the). Try it and you'll see why it's hard to say after a (like the a in cat). It does sound like your priest played a mean trick on you - but I'm sure it made him chuckle. We Romanian Orthodox always seem to be the first ones to be forgotten!

James

Offline Fr. David

• The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
  • Archon
    • Iglesia Ortodoxa de los Santos Apóstoles
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2005, 11:15:59 AM »
The hard way was when our Romanian priest shouted the Paschal greetings in Slavonic, Greek and English with fervent replies from the congregation. He snickered when he greeted us loudly in Romanian and NO ONE knew how to respond! We attacked him after the services asking him to let us in on how to respond to him in Romanian so we don't make fools of ourselves next year :)

LOL...sounds like Pascha at my parish:

"CHRIST IS RISEN!"
"INDEED, HE IS RISEN!"

"KRISTOS VOSKRES!"
"VOISTINU VOSKRES!"

"KRISTOS ANESTI!"
"ALITHOS ANESTI!"

And then Spanish...

"CRISTO HA RESUCITADO!"
"EN VERdad ha
resummrhmmmrmrrrr...

Gotta give the priest, of Carpatho-Russian descent, credit for learning the Spanish greeting...helps that Abp. DMITRI is close to native-level fluency himself and probably teaches all the priests he can. Oh, well...
Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)