OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 10:19:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Early well wishes for Pascha!  (Read 1717 times) Average Rating: 0
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« on: April 28, 2005, 08:46:36 PM »

Not sure this is the right place to have started this thread, but my wife and I will be leaving to be with my parents for Pascha and I will not be near a computer to offer my well wishes to you all.

So whatever turns your crank... be Happy Easter, Christ is Risen (yes I know I'm early but I'm trying to be thoughtful...lol)... or for my Serbs and Serbian Orthodox....

HRISTOS VOS KRESE!!!

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
eliasmok

a pure heart grant me O Lord

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 05:55:43 PM »

CHRIST IS RISEN.
SiviSokol

Jurisdiction: SOC

Tamburica u mom srcu

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 06:04:05 PM »

Voistinu Voskrese, Brale!
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 03:50:00 AM »

Hristos a-nviat!

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 10:06:40 AM »

Well, it's been since last Thursday that I've been on line, so I think i should tip my hat to everyone & say XPUCTOC BOCKPECE!

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
MsGuided
Pharmakolytria
Elder

St. Anastasia

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2005, 10:28:28 AM »

Adevarat a inviat! (Learned that one the hard way!)

"Forgive me that great love leads me to talking nonsense." Barsanuphius
jmbejdl
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2005, 10:48:46 AM »

Adevarat a inviat! (Learned that one the hard way!)

What's the hard way? Oh, and it's easier to pronounce (and more normal) if you write it 'a-nviat'. '+Ä' is a strange sound, and quite difficult to say fluently after 'a'. Strangely, in my wife's region (where I learnt Romanian) they usually say the response as 'Adev-ârat c-â a-nviat', but most Romanians from other areas seem to drop the 'c-â'.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
MsGuided
Pharmakolytria
Elder

St. Anastasia

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2005, 10:56:32 AM »

I write more in a sense of transliterations, since i wouldn't even guess how to pronounce things otherwise!  The hard way was when our Romanian priest shouted the Paschal greetings in Slavonic, Greek and English with fervent replies from the congregation.  He snickered when he greeted us loudly in Romanian and NO ONE knew how to respond!  We attacked him after the services asking him to let us in on how to respond to him in Romanian so we don't make fools of ourselves next year Smiley

"Forgive me that great love leads me to talking nonsense." Barsanuphius
jmbejdl
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2005, 11:01:35 AM »

I write more in a sense of transliterations, since i wouldn't even guess how to pronounce things otherwise! The hard way was when our Romanian priest shouted the Paschal greetings in Slavonic, Greek and English with fervent replies from the congregation. He snickered when he greeted us loudly in Romanian and NO ONE knew how to respond! We attacked him after the services asking him to let us in on how to respond to him in Romanian so we don't make fools of ourselves next year Smiley

Well, for reference, +« is pronounced roughly half way between 'i' (like the i in pin) and '-â' (like the e in the). Try it and you'll see why it's hard to say after a (like the a in cat). It does sound like your priest played a mean trick on you - but I'm sure it made him chuckle. We Romanian Orthodox always seem to be the first ones to be forgotten!

James

Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2005, 11:15:59 AM »

The hard way was when our Romanian priest shouted the Paschal greetings in Slavonic, Greek and English with fervent replies from the congregation. He snickered when he greeted us loudly in Romanian and NO ONE knew how to respond! We attacked him after the services asking him to let us in on how to respond to him in Romanian so we don't make fools of ourselves next year Smiley

LOL...sounds like Pascha at my parish:

"CHRIST IS RISEN!"
"INDEED, HE IS RISEN!"

"KRISTOS VOSKRES!"
"VOISTINU VOSKRES!"

"KRISTOS ANESTI!"
"ALITHOS ANESTI!"

And then Spanish...

"CRISTO HA RESUCITADO!"
"EN VERdad ha
resummrhmmmrmrrrr...

Gotta give the priest, of Carpatho-Russian descent, credit for learning the Spanish greeting...helps that Abp. DMITRI is close to native-level fluency himself and probably teaches all the priests he can. Oh, well...

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Tags: Pascha 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: