Author Topic: What is the part of the liturgy when . . .?  (Read 590 times)

Offline Hinterlander

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
What is the part of the liturgy when . . .?
« on: February 19, 2017, 11:06:26 PM »
As an inquirer I get out to many Vespers/Vigils services throughout the year - one of the parts of vigils services that always floors me is when a long catalog of saints are mentioned . . is the term commemorated? . . . usually chronologically. . . I'd say close to 50 names are included.

What is this part of the prayer called? Is it unique to vigils? 

This is an OCA parish.

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
Re: What is the part of the liturgy when . . .?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 11:17:13 PM »
"Save O God Thy people" Is unique to Vigil

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 11:27:38 PM »

Or just to Orthros.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline Hinterlander

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 11:55:07 PM »
I thought it might just be part of matins as it came in the second half of the vigil service (which I understand to be Vespers + Matins).

Does each jurisdiction have their own list of names?  Does it vary by parish?

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 12:00:26 AM »
I thought it might just be part of matins as it came in the second half of the vigil service (which I understand to be Vespers + Matins).

Here is what we do on Sunday mornings at Orthros. I'm in the Antiochian Archdiocese of NOrth America.  there is a note that pastors may add saints to the list at their discretion. 

O God, save Thy people, and bless Thine inheritance. Visit Thy world with mercy and
compassions. Exalt the horn of Orthodox Christians, and send down upon us Thy rich mercies.
Through the intercessions of our all-immaculate Lady Theotokos and ever-virgin Mary; by the
might of the precious and life-giving Cross; by the protection of the honorable bodiless Powers of
heaven; at the supplication of the honorable, glorious prophet, forerunner and Baptist John; of the
holy, glorious, all-laudable apostles Peter and Paul, and of all the holy apostles; of our fathers
among the saints, great hierarchs and ecumenical teachers Basil the Great, Gregory the Theologian
and John Chrysostom; Athanasius, Cyril and John the Merciful, patriarchs of Alexandria; Nicholas
of Myra, Spyridon of Trimythous and Nektarios of Pentapolis the Wonderworkers; of our fathers
among the saints Tikhon, patriarch of Moscow and Raphael, bishop of Brooklyn; of the holy,
glorious, great-martyrs, George the Trophy-bearer, Demetrios the Myrrh-streamer, Theodore the
Soldier, Theodore the General, and Menas the Wonderworker; of the hieromartyrs Ignatius the
God-bearer of Antioch, Charalampos and Eleutherios; of the holy, glorious great women martyrs,
Thekla, Barbara, Anastasia, Katherine, Kyriaki, Photeini, Marina, Paraskeva and Irene; of the holy,
glorious, right-victorious martyrs; of our venerable and God-bearing fathers who shone in the
ascetic life; of Saint N., the patron and protector of this holy community; of the holy and righteous
ancestors of God, Joachim and Anna; of the holy, glorious and all-laudable Apostles Archippos,
Philemon and Apphias of the Seventy; Venerable-martyr Philothea of Athens; and New-martyr
Nikita the New of Epiros, whose memory we celebrate today, and of all the saints: we beseech
Thee, O most merciful Lord, hearken unto the petitions of us sinners who make our supplications
unto Thee, and have mercy upon us
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 09:25:44 AM »

Or just to Orthros.

* In Vespers it is unique to Vigil, in Matins it is present for Polyeleos, Vigil, and weekdays of Great Lent
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 09:28:31 AM by Bob2 »

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 01:20:48 PM »
Yes, it varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, from parish to parish, even from priest to priest saying this. However, the saints of the day should be always added with the addition "whose commemorance we celebrate together" (don't remember the exact translations to English of this fragment, so I'm quoting only the meaning of it).

My parish has also a custom that for the 12 greatest feasts this list is extended.
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)