OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 01:08:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which more "legalistic", Orthodoxy or Catholicism ?  (Read 495 times) Average Rating: 0
Raylight
OC.net guru

« on: July 31, 2014, 09:59:34 AM »

Which one is more legalistic, Catholicism or Orthodoxy ? and why ? and is it a good or a bad thing to be legalistic ?

legalistic meaning according to several Dictionaries :

" Strict, literal adherence to the law or to a particular code, as of religion or morality. "

" strict adherence, or the principle of strict adherence, to law or prescription, especially to the letter rather than the spirit. "

" obeying the law in a very strict and exact way "

« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 10:02:27 AM by Raylight » Logged
john_mo
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 10:17:55 AM »

Interesting...interesting.

Love is not blind; that is the last thing that it is. Love is bound; and the more it is bound the less it is blind.

—G.K. Chesterton
Sam G
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

All ye Saints, pray to God for me a sinner.

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 11:01:43 AM »

Which one is more legalistic, Catholicism or Orthodoxy ? and why ? and is it a good or a bad thing to be legalistic ?

legalistic meaning according to several Dictionaries :

" Strict, literal adherence to the law or to a particular code, as of religion or morality. "

" strict adherence, or the principle of strict adherence, to law or prescription, especially to the letter rather than the spirit. "

" obeying the law in a very strict and exact way "

Personally, I found Catholicism's to be very legalistic. By that I mean a "do A and you'll get B" attitude. Think indulgences and the like, but that's with regards to grace and salvation.

Overall, I think by the definitions you offered both churches are legalistic to an extent. Both operate on the basis of canons (they even formally call it Canon Law in Catholicism), and both can have the tendency to operate strictly within those boundaries.

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 11:20:12 AM »

I think they can be both legalistic. But I think Catholicism is more, just because they make you believe in certain dogmas that are adhered to legalistically. Take for example, clerical celibacy. Their insistence of clerical celibacy is quite legalistic.

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
μαθητης

Faith: Baptist (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: none

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 11:30:00 AM »

Don't forget to consider the 'legalistic' protestants in that group too.

In my experience it depends on who you talk to and their maturity as a believer.  Those who have placed the religious code above all else misunderstand Christianity;those who disregard the religious code also misunderstand Christianity. 

is it a good or a bad thing to be legalistic ?

Are you equating all desire to obey a code of conduct with legalism? Or do you understand that a person can seek to obey a law apart from the extremes of legalism?
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy.

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 08:35:36 PM »

Legalism as I've seen it comprises a superstitious element -- that he who knows the code, often an obscure code, in most detail will reap the most benefit (or will, alone of mankind, not burn in hell). It also seems to be something those with an obsessive personality have affinity with. I'd say some kinds of Protestantism or Judaism spring to mind before either Catholicism or Orthodoxy.

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 08:46:01 PM »

It's kind of a loaded question because the term isn't really objective but is used derogatorily depending on who you ask.

Given the Roman Catholic Church's somewhat lax and liberal attitudes--at least in America--I'd say that Orthodoxy is more legalistic in a good way (excluding Cradle Christophers).

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Avdima

Faith: In search of...
Jurisdiction: none

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 09:39:32 PM »

Legalism as I've seen it comprises a superstitious element -- that he who knows the code, often an obscure code, in most detail will reap the most benefit (or will, alone of mankind, not burn in hell). It also seems to be something those with an obsessive personality have affinity with. I'd say some kinds of Protestantism or Judaism spring to mind before either Catholicism or Orthodoxy.

Aye, aye. Just in my personal experience dealing not with church doctrines and dogmas and such just the people. The ones I come across that are the most legalistic and are in the don't do this or don't do that or your soul is out of salvation camp, comes from people I met from the protestant and Adventist, Mormon side of things. And most Catholics I have known  have been pretty laid back in terms of believing what the church says and not fretting too much they if they did something bad that they are doomed. I have only met a handful of persons who I know are Orthodox so I cannot really say too much about them or their attitudes towards the legalese between them and their faith. 
Raylight
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 09:46:11 PM »

I don't think the Orthodox Church has rules such as;

You have to go to Mass at least once a year or you are damned.
You have to take from the Eucharist at least once a year or you are damned.
You have to pray this and do this and don't do that in order for you to get out of the Purgatory as soon as possible.
You can't do this and if you did then you have to have confession or you will go to Hell...etc

The above points seems to me to be too legalistic, aren't they ?
Aquensis

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 09:59:15 PM »

You have to pray this and do this and don't do that in order for you to get out of the Purgatory as soon as possible.
You can't do this and if you did then you have to have confession or you will go to Hell...etc

The Orthodox canons IIRC are that, technically, if you miss more than three liturgies you have excommunicated yourself. But it is not to be legalistic, and the spirit is considered more than the law. If you need to work on Sundays to support your family then you are 'ok,' if you just miss liturgy because you would prefer to go golfing or sleep then there is a problem. Circumstances can be considered in some things. I don't think it is legalistic at all.

Catholicism is and (most) Protestant are legalism defined. Their soteriology is usually based on legalism: You broke the law, God is a perfect judge that has to punish you, and Christ suffered your punishment for you. God can't just forgive you for repenting your sins.
Raylight
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 10:05:01 PM »

The Orthodox canons IIRC are that, technically, if you miss more than three liturgies you have excommunicated yourself. But it is not to be legalistic, and the spirit is considered more than the law. If you need to work on Sundays to support your family then you are 'ok,' if you just miss liturgy because you would prefer to go golfing or sleep then there is a problem. Circumstances can be considered in some things. I don't think it is legalistic at all.

Catholicism is and (most) Protestant are legalism defined. Their soteriology is usually based on legalism: You broke the law, God is a perfect judge that has to punish you, and Christ suffered your punishment for you. God can't just forgive you for repenting your sins.

I see, so you think Catholicism and Protestantism are legalistic in their theology of understanding God's justic and attitude toward sin and the sinners and also legalistic in their way of understanding what the Lord Jesus Christ did on the cross and why He did it.

On that I agree, because they picture God as a Judge and when you sin, you are sinning against Him and therefor you will never be able to "pay" back for your sins, so therefor Jesus came to Earth and died on the cross...etc you that you will be able to "pay the debt".
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 01:22:18 PM »

I don't think the Roman Catholic Church has rules such as these.  They definitely don't have the first three. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Sam G
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 02:02:17 PM »

I don't think the Roman Catholic Church has rules such as these.  They definitely don't have the first three. 

It actually is considered a mortal sin if you miss Mass intentionally. You have to confess it before receiving communion again. Technically, if you take the view that mortal sins are sins that lead to damnation, then you're liable every week you miss Mass, not just once a year. I don't know about receiving the Eucharist, if that has to be done at least once a year, but I do know that once a year was the minimum for most laity in the middle ages and beyond. Most Catholics today just go up no matter what they may have done in the previous week. The third thing Raylight lists is basically indulgences in a nutshell. So I guess you could say that there are rules like these on the books.

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 02:44:00 PM »

It actually is considered a mortal sin if you miss Mass intentionally. You have to confess it before receiving communion again. Technically, if you take the view that mortal sins are sins that lead to damnation, then you're liable every week you miss Mass, not just once a year. I don't know about receiving the Eucharist, if that has to be done at least once a year, but I do know that once a year was the minimum for most laity in the middle ages and beyond. Most Catholics today just go up no matter what they may have done in the previous week. The third thing Raylight lists is basically indulgences in a nutshell. So I guess you could say that there are rules like these on the books.

If you read the "rules" Raylight claims are RC rules, only the fourth is a reasonable summary of a RC "rule".  As you noted, the obligation to attend Mass is Sundays and holy days, not once a year.  The so-called Easter duty is required, but not under penalty of damnation.  "Damnation" is a very specific thing, and ought not be equated with "mortal sin".  The latter may lead to the former upon death, but they are not the same.  Regarding the third claim, it sounds like indulgences, except I don't think indulgences work in exactly the way he described, and I'm not sure any RC is required to seek them out. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

Sam G
High Elder

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 02:47:07 PM »

If you read the "rules" Raylight claims are RC rules, only the fourth is a reasonable summary of a RC "rule".  As you noted, the obligation to attend Mass is Sundays and holy days, not once a year.  The so-called Easter duty is required, but not under penalty of damnation.  "Damnation" is a very specific thing, and ought not be equated with "mortal sin".  The latter may lead to the former upon death, but they are not the same.  Regarding the third claim, it sounds like indulgences, except I don't think indulgences work in exactly the way he described, and I'm not sure any RC is required to seek them out. 

I should have read Raylight's post a bit closer. You're right that only the fourth would really qualify as a summary of a RC rule.

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2014, 03:07:56 PM »

Not what Catholics believe at all.

First, we do not believe that Christ suffered our punishment for us. There is absolutely no one-to-one correlation. Christ suffered on our behalf so that we would not be damned, but he did not suffer our punishment nor our damnation. The non-legalistic/non-mathematical nature of this can be demonstrated in the fact that, as St. Thomas Aquinas clearly teaches, God could have redeemed us in any way he wanted to, but saved us in the way he did because it demonstrated his depth of love for us.

Second, and closely related to the last statement, God could have just forgiven our sins, but he chose do so in a most excellent way by the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Catholics may be legalistic in others ways, but not in the manner in which you describe here. We are simply not Calvinists.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2014, 03:39:00 PM »

Catholics may be legalistic in others ways, but not in the manner in which you describe here. We are simply not Calvinists.

Next, I suppose you'll tell us Catholics aren't into voodoo.   Roll Eyes

Joke.

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2014, 04:17:15 PM »

It's very easy to be legalistic because there are canons and clerical practices of spirituality that makes it so much more simpler for there to be certain standards, but the fact is that, and I think both Orthodox and Catholics agree in principle, legalisms are guidelines, not necessarily "the Rule".  You're not doomed to hell if you don't fast, but it would help you to fast.

Same thing with Soteriology.  While there might be emphases on either side, I don't see any essential doctrinal disagreement between Orthodox and Catholics on this one.  There has been too much misinterpretations from both sides.  Orthodox accuse Catholics (and sadly St. Augustine) essentially of Calvinism, and Catholics accuse Orthodox of Pelagianism.  The discussion and accusations I find are fruitless.

If you ask me, and anyone who has had many good and kind discussions with Catholics, the main issue is Petrine Primacy.  Everything else is secondary.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2014, 05:17:03 PM »

Next, I suppose you'll tell us Catholics aren't into voodoo.   Roll Eyes

Joke.

Cheesy

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2014, 09:54:55 PM »

I don't think Orthodoxy and Catholicism are legalistic at all. Certainly, there are legalistic people within both traditions, but you can't blame the faith community for that.  There are legalistic people in every faith tradition.  I am understanding the word legalism to mean following the letter of the law without contemplating the spirit of the law.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy.

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2014, 10:59:57 PM »

The Roman church is a giant organization with a vast history, and thus hard to categorize; however, I don't think you can have an office of casuistry (not to mention the late position of Devil's Advocate) if you aren't, shall we say, a smidge inclined toward being legalistic. (I won't even touch the whole Counter-Reformation, the "teaching orders" and so forth.)

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: