OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 06:56:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Driven to Drink  (Read 1404 times) Average Rating: 0
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« on: April 28, 2005, 09:34:14 AM »

If you had a drunkard as a spouse, (if you were consistent) you would buy them booze to "keep peace" and "because you love them". I, on the other hand, would be willing to go through hell for a while if it meant a HEALTHY and lasting peace and loving relationship. You give the drunkards (heretics) what they want, so it is no wonder that they never stop drinking (believing heresy). By not giving them what they want, I might offend the drunkards (heretics), I might even cause them to leave me, but I certainly at least have a CHANCE of changing the unhealthy situation.

I suppose I should be mortally offended at being called, by implication, a spiritual drunkard. And yet the fruit of the vine is, in a moderate way, beneficial; so it would appear that a better analogy would not be to heresy, but to theology itself. Indeed I see every day on the net laymen drunk on theology.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 09:46:07 AM »

Indeed I see every day on the net laymen drunk on theology.

AMEN!

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 10:02:50 AM »

No drinking yet Keble, wait 'til Sunday.
Seriously, considering the holy days that started Monday, I want to suggest that people try to keep it nice (I really hate that word, but civil seems to... mean) until after Sunday.

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Fear the Tooth

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 04:20:56 PM »

*shrugs* I also mixed analogies in that post. Of all the stupid, lame things I've said, you pick that to start a thread about? Weak! Smiley  Tongue
« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 04:22:24 PM by Paradosis » Logged
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 04:31:30 PM »

No drinking yet Keble, wait 'til Sunday.
Seriously, considering the holy days that started Monday, I want to suggest that people try to keep it nice (I really hate that word, but civil seems to... mean) until after Sunday.

On a similar note, I found something out about someone from church that was kinda funny involving that person, someone else in church, indirectly me and a 4th person of whom makes the situation ever-so-slightly-scandalous/idle talk/whatever.  I already discussed it with the person from church I found out about (MY BAD! Shame on me!), but am trying to hold me tongue until maybe during the Pascha BBQ/picnic after Agape Vespers so us three can have a laugh.  But it's hard to keep it in!  Just blabbing....Play nice everyone, just like ania says.
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2005, 05:00:39 PM »

Paradosis, I suggest the proper Holy Week response is not a shrug, but an apology.
lpap

I stopped participating in this forum.

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2005, 06:01:09 PM »

Mark 4:11-12

11And He was saying to them, "To you has been given the mystery of the kingdom of God, but those who are outside get everything in parables,
12so that WHILE SEEING, THEY MAY SEE AND NOT PERCEIVE, AND WHILE HEARING, THEY MAY HEAR AND NOT UNDERSTAND, OTHERWISE THEY MIGHT RETURN AND BE FORGIVEN."

I think that brother Paradosis, although he has been "unembellished", he talked the truth: The "outsiders" must be kept in "parabolic" isolation. This is the most loving way of relating with them: not by not having communion with them, or by not talking to them, or by not associating with them, but by using parables of our Truths (not known by them). Then by not seeing and by not perceiving the true meaning, while seeing and hearing "parables", they "might return and be forgiven".

As for the "drunkard" analogy, seems to me that Paradosis has a personal resentment of you, so he is the only qualified to explain his words.

In my point of view we are all "drunkard" thirsty for ourselves by a drunkenness that never gets satisfied. I suppose we must all follow therapy for a detoxification of egoism, selfishness and vanity.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 06:05:23 PM by lpap » Logged

Life is to live the life of others.
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2005, 06:02:34 PM »

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2005, 06:12:18 PM »

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2005, 06:16:19 PM »

GiC,

Well done! The bourbon training you have received 'from someone at school' is bearing fruit!

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2005, 06:28:35 PM »

maker's mark is filth. Beam is the champ.
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2005, 06:31:15 PM »

maker's mark is filth. Beam is the champ.

Heresy!!!

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Nacho
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2005, 07:52:17 PM »

Hmmm, I'm driven to drink often especially living among the idiots in the People's Republic of California  Grin.....I've been really diggin' Jack Daniels alot, but I'll tank down any top shelf Canadian or Scottish Whiskey.. Cool

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: