OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 06:53:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bookstore Suppliers  (Read 1217 times) Average Rating: 0
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« on: April 28, 2005, 12:19:20 AM »

I help out in our recently re-opened parish bookstore, mostly with ordering items for us to stock.  At the moment, we're trying to establish accounts with suppliers (we're already established with Conciliar Press, St. Isaac of Syria Skete, and SVS Press), but we're naturally looking for more sources for books, icons, and miscellaneous items.  Can anybody recommend any good suppliers along with a website?  It would help out a whole bunch.  Thanks!

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

OC.net

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 03:04:18 PM »

Come and See Icons and Monastery Icons are great to deal with (the latter has Byz-Catholic stuff as well as Orthodox)
Then there is Regina Orthodox Press and Eighth Day Books, and of course Light and Life Publishers (the largest Orthodox supplier that I know of)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2005, 03:04:37 PM by BrotherAidan » Logged
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 05:53:39 PM »

Come and See Icons and Monastery Icons are great to deal with (the latter has Byz-Catholic stuff as well as Orthodox)
Then there is Regina Orthodox Press and Eighth Day Books, and of course Light and Life Publishers (the largest Orthodox supplier that I know of)

We can't get any response out of Come and See Icons and Monastery Icons has been explicitly forbidden by our priest.  We haven't tried the others yet.  Does L+L publish their own stuff or do they just sell what other publishers have?

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 09:32:35 PM »

Light and Life does publish their own stuff, as well as carry books from just about every other Orthodox publisher out there. Their catalogues are wonderful. You could spend hours going through one of them. They have a website, but have them put you on their mailing list so you get their catalogue. It's free. The website does not have everything on it. Light and Life also carries some jewelry, icons and other things in their catalogue. However, it would be cheaper getting those things directly from the sources, such as Festal Creations and Holy Transfiguration Monastery.

You are wise to stay away from Monastery Icons. We dealt with them briefly and it was not a good experience. Holy Transfiguration Monastery, near Boston, has a wide variety of icons, as well as brass incense holders for a low price. You have to pay a fee for the catalogue (I think eight dollars,) but it is worth it.

For relatively cheap but good Orthodox costume jewelry, key chains, visor clips, night lights etc. try Festal Creations. Call (800)747-9245 for a catalogue. The catalogue will have more in it than the website. If the congregation at your church is wealthier than mine (mine is pretty poor) they may want real gold and silver Orthodox jewelry. The source for that would be Gallery Byzantium.

BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

OC.net

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 12:25:55 PM »

I have had no problems dealing with Monastery Icons. One must recognize that they are Byz. Catholic. But if you want to find some icons of western Orthodox saints, they have some (Brigid, Genievieve, Patrick, etc).

Come and See Icons - I never got a response to my inquiry. I finally placed an order on-line but did not give my cc#. I gave the option of them calling me for it or billing me. About the 5 days later the icon arrived with a bill. I think it is a one man operation and he also runs an Orthodox soup kitchen in the Phila. PA area. I don't think he extends bookstore discounts. On the other hand the profits support his minisitry.
Justinian

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2005, 10:45:50 PM »

http://www.archangelsbooks.com/

Heres one I go through quite a bit.

In XC,
Justinian

"All this indignation have I hurled, At the pretending part of the proud world. Who, swollen with selfish vanity devise: false freedoms, holy cheats, and formal lies, Over their fellow slaves to tyrannize." - John Wilmot
DDSaltzman

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 11:55:44 AM »

The Holy Trinity-Holy Cross Cathedral bookstore uses Light and Life.  They are a supplier by buying books from other publishers and passing them on to us.  Once a year, I put together an Icon order that comes from Athens, GR.  Orama World, Stelios Contarinis has been very good to work with for the Byzantine and Modern Icons.  They are reasonably priced when you get a larger order so that the shipping is spread out over numerous icons.  When we purchase the small number of Icons we get them from St. Issac's Skete, WI, at www.skete.com.  I found archangels to be higher in price than other suppliers because the they purchase their icons from Monastery then mark them up again.  If you look on the back of them you can see the foil seals that Monastery puts on their icons or the outline of the glue if the seal has been removed.  We purchase Sunday school and some books for Father from the Dept of Education, Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of American.  DS
Tags: bookstore 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: