Author Topic: The Name of Jesus  (Read 1056 times)

Offline eagles

The Name of Jesus
« on: July 26, 2014, 08:56:06 PM »
What is the Orthodox view on the actual name of Jesus , being Jeshua Ben Joseph ?

Offline Ekdikos

• Elder
Re: The Name of Jesus
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 08:58:59 PM »
What is the Orthodox view on the actual name of Jesus , being Jeshua Ben Joseph ?
His acctual name is Son of God. Jeshua ben Joseph would be how people arround Galilea knew Him.

Offline eagles

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 09:13:56 PM »
Of course he is the Son of God . I was asking if this name , was really his given name and accepted as such as accurate  by the Orthodox faith as legitimate. It appears your saying the name is accurate in that context then.  A friend used it and I was not sure what our Fathers have said on this name .Thank you

Offline Ekdikos

• Elder
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 09:31:53 PM »
Of course he is the Son of God . I was asking if this name , was really his given name and accepted as such as accurate  by the Orthodox faith as legitimate. It appears your saying the name is accurate in that context then.  A friend used it and I was not sure what our Fathers have said on this name .Thank you

Hm just one clarification. No it is not legitimate by Orthodox Faith. By Orthodox Faith its legitimate to call Him God, Lord, Jesus Christ, Son of Man, Son of God, Saviour, Lamb of God... Orthodox Faith say He had not have Father on Earth. Jews, living arround Nazareth, tought Joseph to be His father, so they refered Him by Jewish naming customs. NT speaks about one such occasion.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 09:34:51 PM »
I don't have a problem using his Aramaic or Hebrew spelling/pronunciation, but there are certain "Christian" groups that claim that if you don't spell it or say it that way then you aren't really worshiping Him.  That is just utter bunk. God doesn't require us to speak Aramaic or Hebrew to come to Him.
God bless!

Offline WyattTM

• I think that I think too much
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 09:43:49 PM »
I always assumed that addressing him via  his title of Christ was appropriate.

Offline Melodist

• Archon
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 10:23:28 PM »
Jews, living arround Nazareth, tought Joseph to be His father, so they refered Him by Jewish naming customs. NT speaks about one such occasion.

I think people stopped referring to Jesus as "son of Joseph" some time around when they saw him risen from the dead.
And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God

Offline Ekdikos

• Elder
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 10:26:18 PM »
Jews, living arround Nazareth, tought Joseph to be His father, so they refered Him by Jewish naming customs. NT speaks about one such occasion.

I think people stopped referring to Jesus as "son of Joseph" some time around when they saw him risen from the dead.
Depends... Peter called Him Son of Living God, and on such faith, Church is built. :-)

Point is demons also called Him so.

Offline eagles

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 10:42:27 PM »
THANK YOU ALL ! :)