OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 09:39:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Contradictions in Catholic Private revalation?  (Read 83 times) Average Rating: 0
ShayneSwenson

Faith: Almost Orthodox.
Jurisdiction: Catholic

Sedevacan't stand schism

« on: July 26, 2014, 02:54:12 PM »

I know we are not required to believe private revelation, and I understand there are difficulties with private devotions and revelations in the Orthodox church as well. However, I feel like the vast majority of Catholic private revelation is the product of a psychosis, or an extremely over-active imagination. Divine Mercy comes to mind, as well as St. Louis De Montfort's True Devotion book. You all already know of my EXTREME disdain for Medjugorje, not to mention my growing suspicion of Fatima, as well as most Marian apparitions, barring Lourdes. There are so many just so stories that theologically only fit with the religious outlook at the time of the supposed locution. I dont doubt all, just most. Say 95%. It also seems like a cop-out when the church teaches that it is not required to believe such revelations to remain a faithful catholic, and then they actively promote all of them. Medjugorje was the straw that broke the camels back, and led me to consider Orthodox Christianity. The fact that so many catholics believe the Mother of God is actually appearing to those con artists on THEIR watch, makes me sick. I just have a really hard time when I read these strange "mystical" communications that seem to contradict each other, maybe not quite doctrinally(that I am aware of, apart from ol' medjugoogoo), but surely devotionally. Maybe its the remains of my scientific materialism that I have a hard time shaking. Maybe its a sliver of my remaining protestant mistrust. Maybe its just a good BS sensor. Thoughts welcome from an Orthodox, as well as a Catholic perspective.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: