Author Topic: Forest Bathing, anyone?  (Read 1016 times)

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
Forest Bathing, anyone?
« on: July 24, 2014, 08:37:27 PM »
"Our mission is to support the expansion, quality, and acceptance of Nature and Forest Therapy programs and practice as an auxiliary use of natural areas and forests to directly benefit the wellness of people, and as an accepted psychological or medical prescription for human health when appropriate. We are inspired by the Japanese practice of shinrin yoku, "forest bathing," and the many research-proven benefits of this and similar wellness strategies that recognize the link between the well-being of humans and natural environments."

--------

"Shinrin-yoku is a term that means "taking in the forest atmosphere" or "forest bathing." It was developed in Japan during the 1980s and has become a cornerstone of preventive health care and healing in Japanese medicine. Researchers primarily in Japan and South Korea have established a robust body of scientific literature on the health benefits of spending time under the canopy of a living forest. Now their research is helping to establish shinrin-yoku and forest therapy throughout the world.

The idea is simple: if a person simply visits a natural area and walks in a relaxed way there are calming, rejuvenating and restorative benefits to be achieved."
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 08:46:00 PM by Jetavan »
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
Re: Forest Bathing, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 09:51:08 PM »
Here in the Los Angeles foothills, where we live, we would have to hike through the chaparral forests in groups so that if we encounter a mountain lion or a bear we could stand it down. Wearing bells on shoes, talking, and singing while walking help to alert wild animals. It is when they are surprised that they might attack.

Usually groups are led by a guide, so these cost money, but it is safer. However, these guided groups usually sell out fast, so make reservations early.

Beware, if you go for the five-mile walk or more, you must ease into it by walking every day in preparation. I though that I was fit and ready to go, but I was not. I went on a five-mile wilderness walk in Griffith Park, where they also have sighted cougars. Although the trails were steep, the views were awesome, and the people in the group were fantastic. We all had a wonderful time. However, the next morning, the pain in my hips was excruciating, but within a week, I had fully recovered. The sights of God's beautiful earth and the smell of fresh mountain air even within the city was worth any pain.
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 11:16:02 PM »
‘Forest bathing’ is latest fitness trend to hit U.S. — ‘Where yoga was 30 years ago’

Those that practice Shinrin-yoku explain that it differs from hiking or informative nature excursions because it centers on the therapeutic aspects of forest bathing.

“So whereas a nature walk’s objective is to provide informational content and a hike’s is to reach a destination, a Shinrin-yoku walk’s objective is to give participants an opportunity to slow down, appreciate things that can only be seen or heard when one is moving slowly, and take a break from the stress of their daily lives,” Page said.
Other studies have found an association between Shinrin-yoku and a boost in immune function. Subjects took a 3-day/2-night trip to forest areas in Japan with researchers taking blood and urine samples before and after the excursion. The numbers of natural killer cells — a type of white blood cell that fights infected or tumor cells — and other immune system markers were significantly higher after forest bathing than before.
“In Japan, Shinrin-yoku trails are certified by a blood-sampling study to determine whether the natural killer cell count is raised enough for the trail to qualify,” Page said. “I should also note that in Japan and Korea, forest therapy modalities are integrated into their medical system and are covered by insurance.”
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 11:54:56 PM »
I don't go there, there are monkeys.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 01:01:39 AM »
Soooo...walking.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 03:32:36 PM »
The English used to call them rambles (may still, I don't know).  I think it's a fine idea, but why is it a fad (and one that will be done wrong, at that)?   ???

My physiological hunch is that it's simply a matter of reducing cortisol production (which suppresses the immune system). 
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 03:36:40 PM by Ainnir »
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 04:28:44 PM »
I'm surrounded by forest, so I guess I can cut out the walking part??

Offline Ainnir

• OC.net guru
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 07:14:00 PM »
I'm surrounded by forest, so I guess I can cut out the walking part??

If you've got a good porch, you're set for life.  :D
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2017, 09:12:54 PM »
The idea sounds great, forest critters or not, but it sounds suspicious they want you or insurance to pay for something you can easily do for free.
Quote from: Nun M.
The dread Pantocrator...is also "Christouli mou", (my little Christ), who really listens when you run in to your neighborhood church on the way to work to cry and light a candle because your daughter is in trouble at school. The untouchable and all-holy Mother of God is also "Panayitsa mou", who really will take your part before the court of heaven because, just like your own mom, she’ll always stick up for her children, no matter how badly they’ve behaved.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2017, 09:41:41 PM »
This sounds like a good way to get ticks.
God bless!