OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 09:42:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forest Bathing, anyone?  (Read 141 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: July 24, 2014, 08:37:27 PM »

"Our mission is to support the expansion, quality, and acceptance of Nature and Forest Therapy programs and practice as an auxiliary use of natural areas and forests to directly benefit the wellness of people, and as an accepted psychological or medical prescription for human health when appropriate. We are inspired by the Japanese practice of shinrin yoku, "forest bathing," and the many research-proven benefits of this and similar wellness strategies that recognize the link between the well-being of humans and natural environments."

--------

"Shinrin-yoku is a term that means "taking in the forest atmosphere" or "forest bathing." It was developed in Japan during the 1980s and has become a cornerstone of preventive health care and healing in Japanese medicine. Researchers primarily in Japan and South Korea have established a robust body of scientific literature on the health benefits of spending time under the canopy of a living forest. Now their research is helping to establish shinrin-yoku and forest therapy throughout the world.

The idea is simple: if a person simply visits a natural area and walks in a relaxed way there are calming, rejuvenating and restorative benefits to be achieved."
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 08:46:00 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 09:51:08 PM »

Here in the Los Angeles foothills, where we live, we would have to hike through the chaparral forests in groups so that if we encounter a mountain lion or a bear we could stand it down. Wearing bells on shoes, talking, and singing while walking help to alert wild animals. It is when they are surprised that they might attack.

Usually groups are led by a guide, so these cost money, but it is safer. However, these guided groups usually sell out fast, so make reservations early.

Beware, if you go for the five-mile walk or more, you must ease into it by walking every day in preparation. I though that I was fit and ready to go, but I was not. I went on a five-mile wilderness walk in Griffith Park, where they also have sighted cougars. Although the trails were steep, the views were awesome, and the people in the group were fantastic. We all had a wonderful time. However, the next morning, the pain in my hips was excruciating, but within a week, I had fully recovered. The sights of God's beautiful earth and the smell of fresh mountain air even within the city was worth any pain.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: