OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 07:50:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Communion and non-Orthodox  (Read 1195 times) Average Rating: 0
HeYunyi

« on: April 27, 2005, 01:23:06 AM »

So I went to my first ever service at an Orthodox church a couple weeks ago and when it came time for Communion I stayed back, because I knew non-Orthodox aren't allowed to take Communion.  But then this woman motions to me to get in line ahead of her.  Was that something that she should have done?  I mean, it sounds like it is pretty common for Orthodox people to not take communion every Sunday if they don't feel like they've properly prepared themselves for it, so it strikes me as odd that someone would encourage me to join her in line for communion when she doesn't know what reasons I have for not going up there.  Or would maybe an Orthodox would still get in line but not take communion, just receive a blessing from the priest instead? Otherwise I can't understand her actions.

And what should I do the next time I go back? Should I stand in the communion line and just receive a blessing from the priest and take some of the bread that is okay to take?  I'm just kind of worried that blessing the non-Orthodox who stand in the communion line is just a nice thing to do so people who don't know any better and try to take Communion won't feel as stupid.

NULL
SetFree
King of Kings

Faith: Oriental Orthodox (Catechumen)
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

Christ, Our God, To Earth Descendeth...

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2005, 08:44:01 AM »

I totally understand how awkward that felt.  I am going through my Inquiry Period in the OCA right now, I can't take communion either.  If the lady does it again (she is just trying to be nice), just let her know politely,"Oh, I'm not Orthodox yet, so I can't." and then thank her.  That's probably the best thing.  And, who knows, you may even make a friend who wants to help you on your journey.  I noticed that, at the parish I'm attending, when I said that I was seeking to be Orthodox that many people came and were so helpful and are now talking to me about things.  So, don't be embarrased to, very politely, let that lady know that you are a seeker and can't partake of the Eucharist yet.  I'm sure she'll be understanding.

At His Feet The Six-Winged Seraph, Cherubim, With Sleepless Eye, Veil Their Faces To His Presence As With Ceasless Voice They Cry:ÂÂ  Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!ÂÂ  Lord Most High! --From the Liturgy of St. James (Translated by Gerard Moultrie)
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2005, 10:35:01 AM »

Yeah, she was probably just trying to be nice and let you go in front of her. There have been weeks that I wasn't going to take communion, but the person next to me in the church was waiting for me to walk back to the end of the line before they'd walk back to the end of the line, and they make a motion like, "go?! yes?!?" and only THEN do they realize that I wasn't planning on getting in line...Next time, just shake your head no, she'll just walk right on.

Qui cantat, bis orat
lpap

I stopped participating in this forum.

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2005, 06:15:26 PM »

... Otherwise I can't understand her actions ....
Dear HeYunyi,

You are lucky enough to meet a nice lady. I suppose she is the kind of person that could not go to heaven alone. These kinds of Christians have to take everybody else with them. They may show surprise when you let them go and you are not “with them”.

Yes, I think that I know the awkward feeling of “I can not be with you. Why do you want me to explain myself to you. I don’t even know you!”

These blessed people are usually more than polite. They act in a way as they would try to personally be involved with us. And we do not even know their names !

I propose you start to know them. They are real people. Then you will understand their actions.

It will costs you to live their lives.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2005, 06:16:48 PM by lpap » Logged

Life is to live the life of others.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: